The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Normal Deck VS Black Tiger Deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Perl
View Profile
Veteran user
Taiwan
371 Posts

Profile of Perl
What is the difference between this two deck besides one will illuminate and the other one wont....

What make their prices so different?(More than double the price...)

What is the real practical use of Black Tiger Deck? isn't is the same as normal deck?
Thanks.

Magically,

Perl
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
There is no real practical use for those funny looking cards, unless someone comes up with one. They are a novelty item, nothing more.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
And many people have come up with some practical uses for this "novelty" deck, so don't knock them until you try them.

As for the pricing difference... they are limited to a cetain number, better quality, etc...

They are obviously wqorth the price that is ask for them, but now you need to decide if they are worth that to you.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Verno Inferno
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
132 Posts

Profile of Verno Inferno
Given the clientelle from Ellusionist, and their preferrence for impromptu magic with ordinary objects and despise for funny-lookin' magic props... they sure do like these funny-lookin' cards.

I like them, they look very cool, but... what's wrong with ordinary cards that your audience is familiar with?

I think the tiger can be fun for color changes as well. But, since they have messed up front designs, you can't use them in certain routines (Red Hot Momma). So my reaction is mixed, leaving me of the opinion that they are novelty items if you are not using them for card manipulations. And even then, I think your better choice is a bright color anyway (white, for example).
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13414 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think they reek of "trick deck" but I bought a couple decks just for fun.

I might try them at a strolling venue and hand signed cards out as souvineers.

That's a card they might even keep.

If you do let people sign and keep cards it takes away from the "trick deck" idea.

Nobody that uses a trick deck would let you sign or keep a card. That's what I tell my spectators if they ask "are those real cards?"
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Ryan Birch
View Profile
Regular user
North Wales
142 Posts

Profile of Ryan Birch
They just look good. that's all there is.

Raz
"NO Ryan! I do NOT want to see another one of your silly magic tricks!" - my mum
meilechl
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of meilechl
Quote:
On 2004-09-14 09:20, Perl wrote:
What make their prices so different?(More than double the price...)

What is the real practical use of Black Tiger Deck?

For the first question the answer is, 'hype'. For the second it's, 'None'.

I've already posted my thoughts on them in this thread.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I will stick with my regular Bikes, thank you. I can't afford 6 dollar decks that people will think are trick anyway.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
The black decks don't faro as well as normal decks, and they cost 3 times more. I see no point in using the black decks.
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
The quality is the same. The novelty is the sole justification for the price.
My Thoughts are here

Quote:
On 2004-09-14 14:45, Astinus wrote:
...6 dollar decks that people will think are trick anyway.

B-I-N-G-O!!!
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Ryan Birch
View Profile
Regular user
North Wales
142 Posts

Profile of Ryan Birch
They do look good though.... Excuses for the avatar! lol Still doesn't justify the price.
"NO Ryan! I do NOT want to see another one of your silly magic tricks!" - my mum
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
I love my tiget deck. If you don't have any thing to hid in them, then you can show them to people, and let them flip through them that way they wont have any suspicions. They are more durable, slighty thicker card than normal, I am buying 6 more decks from my local magic shop.
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
I bought my first Tiger's the first time it came up and I was lucky because I was one of the 1st 200 customers who have purchased it. Luckily, ellusionist gave me a freebie, Healed & Sealed (i wanted an M5!grr... Smile )

Anyway, as I felt the cards, there was no special thing about them. They just look way cool and funny.
It's only good for a flourish and manipulation routine.
As for me, it's just another addition to my deck collection.. Smile

I'd still stick to Bicycle cards and Hoyle Mavericks.. Smile
Jeff Hayden
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Jeff Hayden
To echo an earlier post. They do indeed make people think "trick cards."

I experienced this first hand. The first three people
I performed for while using them each said something
like "I'll bet those are trick cards."

So why even bother? Well, I do like them for giving
out. Get a silver sharpie and sign them - very cool.

Also, you can use them for card changes etc.

-Jeff Hayden
Did you see that?
Cameron Fisk
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, BC
194 Posts

Profile of Cameron Fisk
I work in a magic shop and occasionaly use them so that people can see what they look like if they want to buy one. If I perform magic with a normal deck of cards I get, "wow, that was an awesome card trick" or something like that. But if I perform with a Tiger deck I'll usually get, "wow what kind of a trick deck is that?". Not exactly the reaction that most magicians are looking for.

Also sometimes when I perform with them I won't get any different reaction then if I were to use normal cards. Most people don't know the difference between different cards anyway. So the only people who I do get the reactions of, "wow those are awesome looking cards" are other magicians. I don't get paid by magicians, I get paid by laymen who don't care about different cards types.

I just don't see the point in spending 3 times as much money on a deck of cards if you either get no reaction at all or a negative reaction. That is unless you plan on buying the deck from Gizmoz (the magic shop I work in) Smile.
Themagicquest
View Profile
New user
San Diego, Califorina
57 Posts

Profile of Themagicquest
Quote:
On 2004-09-14 15:00, David Ranalli wrote:
The black decks don't faro as well as normal decks, and they cost 3 times more. I see no point in using the black decks.

This is soo true, I was wondering if my "Mojo" was messed up or something! As for useing them I use them everywhere I go Laymen LOVE them! As for them asking me if its a trick deck (AND THEY DO) I hand the cards to them and have them do a trick that I gide them thru and then I reply with "You tell me are is it a trick deck? I still cant figure it out! I picked some of these card out at store and all of a sudden learned how to do these cool tricks!" I also like them because I do go to a place with black lights in the walls and they stand out like no tomarrow! Anyways it is way to expencive to buy these card all the time but hey its a good way to stand out a little more then normal.
Lynn Lee
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Lynn Lee
Quote:
On 2004-09-14 22:09, Jeff Hayden wrote:
To echo an earlier post. They do indeed make people think "trick cards."

There's the kicker, unfortunately. I got a bunch (3 red pipped, 3 white) since I like collecting decks (trying to get my hands on some Tactical decks) and they're really just GORGEOUS cards. I wonder if it's psychosomatic, but I feel like the cards are JUST slightly better made than your standard deck of Bicycles--they feel a bit more slick, I guess is one way to put it. They always fan VERY nicely for me.

I'd love to try and work them into routines more often, but I can't get over that "Oh, this must be a trick deck" that must be running through the spectator's head from time to time. Giving it to them to inspect may work, but if they're anything like me they'd probably still have just the slightest nagging doubt in the back of their heads. Oh well. They're still a lot of fun to play with, and sometimes I still can't get over how cool the red-pipped cards can look.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4996 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I doesn't matter what deck of cards you use if you do shock strong effects, they will probably think the solution is a trick deck. Its up to yo to convince them that you use a normal deck. Let them examine the deck... I think, the tiger deck design is very magical with the right presentation.
Voodoo theme, mystery theme, dark magic etc is concept that applies on this weird deck.
Kronos9326
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
229 Posts

Profile of Kronos9326
KJellstrom: My thoughts exactly. I've been using these almost exclusively since for the past 2 months, and they are great. I've only had ONE person ask if they were trick cards compared to the same number of people using a normal deck.

For everyone else: If you leave a spectator with the impression that you are using trick cards, then isn't that a compliment? You did something so impossible that the only way they can explain it is that the cards did it for you? I sure find that a compliment. At that point hand them the cards, get them to shuffle them.

As for the different feel to them, they are made with a thicker stock and the UV coating makes them extra slick.

David.
chiz
View Profile
New user
Liverpool, England
94 Posts

Profile of chiz
I bought a deck of tigers a couple of weeks ago. I certainly wouldnt use them for every performance, firstly because they're expensive, and second some cards look too similar.

However, I think the cards are perfect for perforing in a dark setting, I don't mean 'dark' as in voodoo etc, I mean in a place lacking a good light source! They do glow under black light, but also they stand out very well when it's dark outside! So I'd use them if I was performing at night.

________
Ben
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Normal Deck VS Black Tiger Deck (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL