The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove bullying (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

benscholz99
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of benscholz99
I think one of my doves is getting bullied by the other. Whenever I train them or practice with them one is skinnier and its feathers are short and ruffled. It looks as though it is not getting food. And when I take the supposed bully out the bullied one chows down for ten minutes. Is the situation bad enough that I should get a seperate cage?

Ben
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Absolutaly.. your bird can die from starvation.
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
lordblasto
View Profile
New user
Detroit.Mich. USA
14 Posts

Profile of lordblasto
Ben. Sounds like you've got a dominant male. And that's what they are dominant. And it is quite obvious if you observe the birds together for a short time. I had the same problem and promptly got a new cage. Everybodys happier for it. The abused bird strong and healthy. The dominant bird calm and relaxed. All they have to worry about now is the applause. L.B.
Magic is. For if magic is of the mind. www.lordblasto.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2004-09-14 23:55, lordblasto wrote:
Ben. Sounds like you've got a dominant male. And that's what they are dominant. And it is quite obvious if you observe the birds together for a short time. I had the same problem and promptly got a new cage. Everybodys happier for it. The abused bird strong and healthy. The dominant bird calm and relaxed. All they have to worry about now is the applause. L.B.

Fantastic advice. I had birds at one time and this did the trick, so to speak!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
benscholz99
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of benscholz99
Thanks I'm getting a new cage tomorrow.

ben
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2107 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I took Daves advice, and now all my birds are in cages, no bulling and I can set different amounts of foods and also different quanties. I find it works for the better.

Matt
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
454 Posts

Profile of Kingry
That will work as long as your birds don't need to be together for any amount of time. Travel to the show, or on stage. My solution was to buy a huge cage. They fought for a while, but now all 6 of my birds do well. They will fight from time to time, but at least I don't need to have separate travel cages to go to a show. Most of the pro's I have met only take the females out to play.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4983 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Kingry, I've found quite the opposite with my birds. In the same cage, they fight like cats and dogs, but in a travel cage to a show and on stage during the act, they are fine. The fighting is do to male territory disputes. In a travel cage or on stage, they are in neutral environment and they don't tend to fight.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove bullying (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL