The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Balls Brass-hobbytron (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Burrich
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Burrich
Has anyone got these cups?

http://www.hobbytron.net/Cups-and-Balls-Brass.html

It says they're solid brass which probably means they're heavier than the aliminium set. And they're less than $20! I have aluminium but find they knock over easily. I want a cheap set of heavy cups. Would these be for me? I'm still a beginner in the cups and balls so I don't want to spend a lot just yet.

They also have these:

http://www.hobbytron.net/Magic-Pro-Cups-and-Balls.html

for $5 and I don't think they could be worse than the aluminium one's that I bought for $19.95.

Steven.
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
I do not have either of these sets in my collection. For the price I do not think you would be making a mistake. When I looked at the photo of the brass set it gives me the impression of light gauge brass, they may dent with cup through cup moves etc. The site also gives no indication of the size of the cups, I presume they are small. Perhaps you should contact the vendor to get answers to these questions and any others you can think of.

Bill
Burrich
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Burrich
Thanks. Yes in the pictures the brass cups look like the aluminium cups I have with a brass coating. The ridge at the bottom looks too narrow to support a good heavy cups. OK so I want a set of heavy enough cups that aren't too expensive. Any ideas?

Steven.
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Depends what you call cheap!
I got a set of paul fox style Brass Cups from http://www.calmagic.com $75 (about £42)

cheers
Howard
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Hobbytron cups are probably the ones made by Uday of India. They look exactly like the Uday cups, which BTW, are a copy of the Rings and Things Monti cups, but they are not heavy at all. They are very thin brass.

The CalMagic cups are Magic Makers cups.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Right today there are some excellent looking brass cups on ebay, 2 or 3 sets... also collector's workshop set too, all SUPER LOW PRICED.

THE MARKET IS FLOODED.

Too bad, I wanted to run some more sets of the Galli Galli cups, but doubt if the market is still viable for good stuff?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
The sets you are linking to are sold at our local magic shop and they are very light, even the brass. They may also be smaller than normal cups with 2 1/2 inch top openings. There are many acceptable brass cups in the 40 to 50 dollar range. I have a set of Bazar de Magia copper cups, and they are nice enough. They also sell the set in brass. I think they take a slightly larger load. You can buy them in the 40 dollar range.

http://www.magiclegends.com/bazardemagiamagic.html

sells their cups. I have no idea about the quality of this web site, but I found them on google.
Chris
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That tallys exactly with the Uday cups. The Uday cups are very light.

BTW, Pete, the Galli-Galli cups are very close in size to the Danny Dew/Paul Fox chick cups. I had a chance to do a comparison at the TAOM with the cups that Claude Crowe got from Danny. There is not a comparable cup in that price range.

Maybe if you could get some spun in brass, it would be a good idea.

I'm not sure the upper part of the market is flooded, just the basement. With all of the junk cups from Uday, Bazar and Magic Makers/Penguin, that leaves a big market for the guys who want the good stuff.

The prices for original Danny Dew cups have almost doubled in the past year, for example. And with all of the interest in street magic, people are looking for an alternative to the Gazzo cups. The Gazzo cups are very nice cups, but the price is higher than the Galli-Galli cups, and it takes a couple of weeks for them to get here from England. Sometimes they don't make it.

Enter Pete Biro.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Don't buy those cheap @ss cups.
If you want to save money, get some used ones that have some weight.
Even if they're phoenix cups.

I hate those cheap pieces of junk.

Get a set you can grow old with!
Just look at bill palmer's picture.
He look 100 if he looks a day....
...and see how happy he looks Smile

And what about Pete Biro. He's got
tricks in Tarbell's for god's sake.
Who could be older than that. Look at that
smile.

You think either of those guys use
crappy cups??? NOT!!!!

When you're looking like that you want to be
holding some cups that have some stories to
go along with them.

You want to be able to bang your cups with a magic
wand. Pass them out to spectators. You need
sturdy cups. Have fun. Email me a beer. Celebrate!!!

Buy some good cups!!!!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
Yes the banging is fun. At least I can bang my copper Bazar De Magia cups pretty hard. You can only bang the cheap aluminum cups if you want to do a demonstration of how easy it is to knock one into the trash can down the street.
Chris
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Chris:

That's about right!

BTW, are you coming to the convention in Hot Springs next weekend? If so, I'll bring up some special cups.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
Bill, this is a nightmare. On a positive note, I will be doing some busking street magic at our church's carnival that Saturday. So, that is something. But I had hoped to make it down that Friday night and Saturday evening and maybe even compete on Sunday. But now my wife reminds me that we have a 4-H banquet on Saturday evening. Since we are both leaders of the group, I really can't miss it. Maybe I will mope around for a while and see what happens and maybe she will relent--ha, ha. I wanted to go there--and now you say you will have some special cups. This is bad. I will see what I can do.
Chris
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I understand their registration is a tad low. I hate to hear that, because I will be tipping my mitt on how to work renaissance festivals.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

deerbourne
View Profile
Regular user
Centennial, CO
174 Posts

Profile of deerbourne
Quote:
On 2004-09-15 13:09, magical_steve wrote:
Has anyone got these cups?

http://www.hobbytron.net/Cups-and-Balls-Brass.html

Steven.

Lousy cups. That was the first set I had. They'll be there for you to practice the moves but you'll appeciate the difference with better cups.

I have a set of Boscos that I'm really happy with but I finally got to touch a set of Johnson cups over the weekend and man...I need to work more overtime. Smile

Chris
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2004-09-16 20:33, Bill Palmer wrote:
I understand their registration is a tad low. I hate to hear that, because I will be tipping my mitt on how to work renaissance festivals.

Wish I could be there for that!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
So do I.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Balls Brass-hobbytron (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL