We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Kids Escape (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MaGiShN46
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of MaGiShN46
Hello,
Where could I find a torture harness (if that's what their called) the things you stand up your head and 2 arms are locke din a wooden block head with arms on eaither side hands right by face?

Thanks alot

Brett
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
That's called a pillory.
Cannon's Great Escapes sells what answers to be the best pillory escape on the market.
Abbott's Magic Co. sells a neck pillory called "Stocks of Zanzibar."

Encyclopedia of Escapes (from Cannon's) describes one or more stock/pillory escapes, as does "Abbott's Book of Escapes" (Abbott Magic Co.)

I believe Louis Tannen sells a set of plans for a pillory escape.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
MaGiShN46
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of MaGiShN46
Thanks steve and also what is a torture harness and how could they have seen those on cartoons?
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

A torture harness is a generic term for any escape contraption consisting of any combinations of chains, straps and manacles, usually escaped from in full view.

The Tom Horn Belt (aka Australian Belt and Muff) is an example, as are several devices once marketed by Trudel (Torture Harness; Spiderweb Escape; POW Restraint; Torture Anchor).

The Trudel devices were described in the suppliment to "Encyclopedia of Escapes," and might be in the new version of the "Encyclopedia of Escapes" (sold by Cannon's Great Escapes).

Burling Hull once recommended that type of escape as a 'linking' effect between the challenge handcuff act and the performer's finale effect.

A nice variation would be any version of the classic 'torture board' escape (escaping after being chained to a coffin-shaped board, such as Abbott's Ghost Walks, Palhinha's Australian Torture Crib, etc.) This effect is described in John Novak's 'Art of Escape' volume, "The Bohemian Torture Escape."

These contrivances are great for kids' shows because they look like the over-the-top restraints villains use on superheroes, being largely composed of locks, straps and tangled-up chains.

Steve
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I recently obtained a Tom Horn as sold by Cannons. This isn't one of those taxing and brain numbing escapes. In fact after a very short period of time you will be able to escape from it. But it's simplicity is what I love about it. I have just started playing around with this escape combined with the 75' rope effect. I think it was either Steve (above) or Shawn (possibly both) that pointed me in this direction. Very nice looking escape. As Steve said, it is very visual and people seem to like it, especially the kids.
Thinking about it, this may have appeared in a thread by Mark Trip about performing for cub packs and scout troops.

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
Better idea...

Put the horn belt on upside down so the chains fasten upwards.

Get a spirit collar and about 50 feet of chain.

Put the collar on, then the belt. Fasten the ends of the belt chain and the end of the 50 foot onto a lock then into the collar. Now, let them do as they will with the chain, ending at your ankles and another lock.

Escape is simple, hands out, collar off, feet out.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Mark,

Great idea. I'll go in search of a spirit collar.

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I Beleive Zanadu Makes Them. but am unable to find a working web site daytona magic I beleive carries them
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
Zanadu does...

...but the quality is not there.

Perhaps Ian will make one?

HIM I trust!
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Ah yes, the master himself.... Why won't my brain work today.

Thanks,

Ros
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
The Zanadu model looks like it was made from a food can, how about the Deval, I know that there are quite a few of the original type around.
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
Deval is outstanding if you can get one.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
If you can`t get hold of one, pm me.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Ian McColl used to make Darby neck collars which could actually 'rap' open (I own one). Maybe he still makes them.

Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Kids Escape (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL