The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Impromptu Mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
J. James
View Profile
New user
Houston, Texas, but now retired in AL
1 Post

Profile of J. James
This subject – Impromptu Mentalism – may already be posted elsewhere, and if so I’m sorry. However, like you, I too have been caught, on the spot, and asked, “to do something.”

Now I don’t care much for carrying a bunch of extra stuff in my pockets. I do try to never leave the house with out
A pocket notebook,
A ballpoint pen,
Business cards,
And that ‘special’ dollar bills which is tucked behind my business cards.

With only these items I have found I can perform a ten to twelve minute, cohesive ‘act’ totality impromptu (or at lease it seems so to the folks who watch it.)

First comes Paul Richards’ business card routine “Producing Business” (see The Linking Ring, - March 2000).
I then follow this with Lee Freed’s business card mental routine, “Harvey Gives Them the Business!” (The Linking Ring, - November, 1995)

These two effects totally catch the onlookers off guard, plus they blend in together perfectly.

If they want more – and they always do – I’m set for a bill switch (remember that ‘special’ dollar bill behind my business cars?).

I pull out my pocket note book which I always have set as a crib sheet per Ted Lesley’s “Border Intelligence” (from Lesley’s book, ”Paramiracles”) and divine the serial number of a borrowed dollar bill.

Finely, as the kicker while still using the pocket note book, I finish with Mark Wilson’s “Three Way Test” (from his book, “Mark Wilson’s Complete Course in Magic”) I have my own spin on this and what a closer it is! Most everyone gets involved and three of the spectators have their mind’s read.

I did this “act” about 4 days ago in my doctor’s office and had people following me out into the parking lot wanting a ‘reading’.

It’s strong, its impromptu, and its easy.

I realize a few of you will not have the reference material I noted and this can be frustrating. As all the material noted is copyrighted, I don’t believe I can offer to give it away. Someone else, more experienced in these matters, might advise us if it can be shared or given away.

My real suggestion would be to comb your public library for the books noted and then contact your local IBM Club and join up. You’ll find a few of the older members have The Linking Ring Magazine going all the way back to the 1950’s which most will gladly share with other members.

Good Luck & I wish you Magic,
~J. James
J. James the Amazing Mr. 'G.'
"Expect the Unexpected"
p.at
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of p.at
I have paramiracles, and read border intelligence again (and again...), but I still have no clue how to use it to divine the serial number of a bill.
(are you talking about the index or did I mix things up?)

-please help me out-
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5279 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Nice act. Good thinking on your part.

You're right in thinking that this has been discussed before. There was a question asked a year or so ago about impromptu magic. I took the challenge, thought about my repertoire of effects, and felt that I could put on a good, tight, and entertaining mentalism act from stuff that I do regularly. After posting the act on the forum, I actually put it together and have performed it dozens of times now.

The difference is that I carry the necessary items and play it as a prepared show rather than impromptu. Everything fits in a small attaché case.

Here is the outline and the references for the effects. This is a fairly classic mental act and technically very easy to perform.

Required are a pad of paper and pencil/pen/marker, three or four books (or more), a couple of paper napkins, a handkerchief or bandana, a roll of duct tape and some matches (and an ash tray would be nice). All of these items my be borrowed (and I have played this act several times using only borrowed items)

With that you:

Have someone mentally pick a number, and then write it on a small square of paper, that I had drawn a mystical pentagram on. The paper would then be torn up and burned.

Then take the pad of paper and start to randomly write numbers down in a series of rows or columns until about 16 numbers are written on the page. (Say four rows of four numbers) At that, let any spectator choose a row, column, or diagonal and add them up, they would equal the thought of number! Then demonstrate, that adding the numbers in over a dozen different ways would also add to that thought of number (sign the sheet and give it as a souvenir!)

Next, have a spectator choose any two books from those available in the house and give the performer one and keep the other. Slowly thumb through the book until the spectator says to stop, tell him/her the page number stopped on. He/she looks at that page in his/her book and then tell him/her the first word on that page!

Going back to using the pad, the performer borrows some change, then turns back toward the spectator and writes something on a couple sheets of paper torn from the pad. The slips are folded up and the performer turns around and spread the change on the table. Ask a spectator to “think of simple geometric shapes, and let a shape come to the forefront of your mind and then reach out and touch a coin”. After they do so.
The Performer asks the spectator to name the shape aloud, (Lets say he names the circle and touches a dime) He is asked to pick up the first folded piece of paper and unfold it; inside written is, “You will choose the square. Clearly wrong. The performer laughs and asks them to pick up the other packet, they unfold it and a dime falls out and they read, “I was only kidding about the square... and I thank you for thinking of the circle.”

Now, have some objects borrowed by a spectator from other spectators, maybe three or four, don’t touch them, they are placed on a table or simply held. Have another spectator help; the performer and the spectator fold two paper napkins into small packets just large enough to cover the eye sockets from eyebrow to cheek. The performer tears several narrow strips of duct tape off the roll (tear off a piece of tape about 8' long then tear it down the center of it’s length = two strips a couple inches wide and 8' inches long, do this twice).
The performer sticks these strips of tape by a corner to a table edge. Fold the bandana into a nice blindfold and give to a spectator to hold. Then hold the napkins over the eyes and tape then on. The eyes are completely covered by the napkins and the tape, A spectator is asked to tear another length of duct tape off (about the same length of the first length) it is taped over the whole mess, then yet, another length of tape is torn off the roll and taped on. Finally, the blindfold is given and it is tied on with the help of the spectator. (Whew...all this. and for what?)

The performer sits (or stands) and holds his hands about 12 inches apart to the front and asks that the first object be held between his hands, but not to touch the hands. The performer senses the vibrations of the object and tells something about the owner and then names the object and owner. This is done for three or four objects. Finally, the performer takes off the bandana and lets the spectators examine the tape and clearly sees that he cannot (see)!! Then painfully, rip off the tape!

Viola! Act done.

1.Center tear (The Surrounded Slow-motion Center tear by Osterlind),

2. Magic square (the easy one - 4x4),

3. Hoy book test (yes it was mentioned above, but it is the only one I do!),

4. Geometric coin (a Phil Goldstein oldie, Blue book?)

5. Simple blind fold test (from the Hoy, I think.) with standard cold reading (could use Lee Earls, I use my own).

Ok, this was long and really only 5 effects (6 if you count cold reading) but it plays long and anymore would be too much! Nothing in your pockets, everything borrowed. And, I think a killer show!

P.S. No cards!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Eight Spades
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio (northwest)
482 Posts

Profile of Eight Spades
Harry,
I've seen you post this routine before and I'm most impressed by it. Thanks for your contribution.

-Christian
"Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained." -S.H. Sharpe
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5279 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I was jut going to post the link but couldn't find it (must have been tired). So I just cut and pasted from my notes.

This has become a standard party act for me. It works! It is especially powerful when you can borrow everything.

Plus, no cards!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
On one of Lee Earles Syzygy's best tapes is a bookless book test, I think this is a great impromptu item.

Another one (so I'm told) is the SUC II by Mark Strivings. I know a lot of the guys are saying that they don't leave home without this.

By the way Harry, that was a fantastic post, some really great thinking and a nice routine.

Cheers
Billy
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
Here's a trick that could be incorporated into an impromptu mentalism routine. Totally impromptu and stunning. In the video, it is shown with a deck of cards but this could be done without the cards and just on the edge of a table.

http://www.5fingermagic.com/toothpick.htm
p.at
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of p.at
Or you could lit a match, blow it out when it the flame is half way down and then your are able to make the head of the match jump of using your pk abilities (and the same method)
I hope I made myself clear...

warning: a layman showed me that trick... maybe he´s well known.
Hexagon
View Profile
Regular user
London
198 Posts

Profile of Hexagon
Banachek's books cover lots of impromptu mentalism, and you cant go wrong with a bit of cold reading,

also Luke Jermay has nice stuff that can be performed impromptu in '7 Deceptions'
SpAgHeTtI
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of SpAgHeTtI
Muscle reading....ok it is diffucult but I hope that with Psi of banacheck it will be easier to learn it.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Osterlind's Amazing Memory Demonstration
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
dcobbs
View Profile
New user
Portsmouth, England
33 Posts

Profile of dcobbs
Quote:
On 2004-10-03 05:02, dynamiteassasin wrote:
Here's a trick that could be incorporated into an impromptu mentalism routine. Totally impromptu and stunning. In the video, it is shown with a deck of cards but this could be done without the cards and just on the edge of a table.

http://www.5fingermagic.com/toothpick.htm

That link doesn't work.
Magically yours,

Daniel Cobbs.
Rkull
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Rkull
There's a couple of strong impromptu mentalism effects in Bruce Bernstein's "Twenty Effects For Psychic Entertainers". Just business cards and pen.
M@gic Man
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
121 Posts

Profile of M@gic Man
There is a cool effect that allows you to read someones thoughts based on the way there eyes move, I'm not sure of the name of the effect, I think it can be found in one of Derren Browns books, and I think Banachek has a similar version, where you can tell what object someone is thinking of when they close there eyes and concentrate on it. these effects only work about 80% of the time, but with a little practice, when they do work they are insane. If it doesn't work with one person you can always say, that you are feeling a stronger connection with another person and procceed to try it on there friend or whoever.
Its not what you do, but how you do it.
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
I feel that the eye motion is too variable from person to person. You can do the "thinking truth" effect with some certainty, however. I have done it to great effect.
Eight Spades
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio (northwest)
482 Posts

Profile of Eight Spades
Wow, nice to see this thread resurrected from the past. Keep it rolling.

-Christian
"Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained." -S.H. Sharpe
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
The most powerful impromptu bit I do is P.W. with my Outlaw wallet. Anytime any place.

It kills. End of story.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
Nothing fries like Kollosal Killer
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
I've been having quite a bit of success with Kioku and the Outlaw wallet. Both are easy to carry (I use the Outlaw to hold my business cards).
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
Free will, just use normal objects a great way to hand out your business card!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Impromptu Mentalism (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL