We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Getting something off my chest... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
247 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
In recent days/weeks, I have really noticed the preoccupation of certain people with money.

I think it's important and necessary, but I am really troubled by the people who discuss the goodness of magic or mentalism strictly in terms of how much money they are being paid.

It is sad that some people feel that they have to trash one type of magic because they perform another type and are well paid for it. It seems clear that some people are so self-centered that they can't imagine someone performing card or coin magic for the simple reason that they PREFER it. And if they like what they're doing, their audience is more likely to respond well to them.

If the ultimate goal of every performer of magic were defined as "to make more money with the next performance than I did with this one," then I might have a bit more patience with the people who float from place to place telling others that they should forget their interest in close-up magic and exclusively focus on, say, mentalism. But the last time I checked, that WASN'T everyone's goal, nor should it be.

Well, glad to get that off my chest!

JMT
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
[email]jmt@turnermagic.com[/email]
www.turnermagic.com
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Quote:
On 2002-08-17 16:53, Joe M. Turner wrote:
In recent days/weeks, I have really noticed the preoccupation of certain people with money.

Hi Joe,

I'm glad you feel better. My mortgage company seems obsessed with receiving regular payments, my phone company, electric company, and Wal-Mart as well. How rude of them!

My property tax needs to be paid on time, and even my credit card company seems maniacal about receiving filthy lucre on a regular basis.

To top it all off, nobody will work for me for free! Imagine that. So, if it imbues magic to a certain degree-- magic and magicians are far from alone.

I left out the "Great American Pastime" - - set to go on strike. Interesting, isn't? And, they are not considered a "business." Tsk, tsk.

At least you feel better.
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
247 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
Fair enough, Randy. I have bills to pay, too... and yet for me, the reduction of collaborative magic discussion to a comparison of who's being paid what seems pretty discouraging. And yet that seems to be the favorite approach of some.

Sigh.

JMT
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
[email]jmt@turnermagic.com[/email]
www.turnermagic.com
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Quote:
to a comparison of who's being paid what seems pretty - -

I'm not sure what specific conversations have prompted your outrage, Joe, but that is not the primarly focus of most. Obviously, I was ribbing you a bit on the costs we all have as a matter of course. Not all folks assign only dollars and cents to performing arts, Joe . . . you can be sure of that.
Dan Farmer
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Nevada
235 Posts

Profile of Dan Farmer
But at least sarcasm is free and ubiquitous here. I think you make a good point Joe, in the immortal words of Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?" Million dollar magicians are like major league baseball players to me "You get paid HOW much to just play around all day?"
:wow: Smile

-Dan
magicpirate82
View Profile
New user
Bay area, Northern California
68 Posts

Profile of magicpirate82
Well, that's certainly one advantage I have of being purely amateur/hobbyist. I can spend countless hours working the pasteboards for no one's viewing but my own! My job provides the steady income and ample time during my business travel to sit in a hotel room and practice, practice, practice. Frequently I show others and try to entertain but at the end of the day, this is all selfishly for me! That said, having a job and family, I have much less time than you pros to really perfect my craft; for that I am a bit jealous!

:pirate:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Getting something off my chest... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL