The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » The Penguin Golden 3 Shell Game (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
875 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
Hi Everyone.
I heard that these shells handle very badly on a hard surface. How well do they handle with the standard rubber pea on a close up mat?
Would you say it's worth getting them?
Thanks.
Michael
Burrich
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Burrich
For the price no way. Go with the Street Shells which are cheaper and come with much better peas. They are not golden but the panguin shells handle pretty badly. With the pea they send on a close up mat they shells visibly go up and down. To hide this you must either press down very hard (even this doesn't cover it completely) or go very quickly. The shell game should be performed quite slowly in my opinion. I got them in the street monte pack and they are definately not worth $50 dollars. If you really want gold get the SfS Golden Shells. These are more expensive but so much better in the long run (if they are anything like the Street Shells)

Steven.
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
875 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
Do the penguin golden shells come with plastic peas or rubber peas?
Thanks.
Michael
Burrich
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Burrich
A rubber pea but it is quite hard. It was copied from the SfS perfect pea but is less than no way near as good.

Steven.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13348 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Michael... do the right thing Smile

Enough already with the penguin crap.

Everything they have seems more and more to me like a knock-off. And a horrible cheap knock-off at that.

Making something similar is one thing but when you're cutting corners just so the shells "look" like the SFS shells and the peas "look" like the SFS peas

... but none of them work right, they're just trying to rob people blind and make a quick buck from the unknowning.

Get some good shells....
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
The school of scoundrels sells the best products for the shellgame. Money spent to get any one of the sets of shells is an investment in quality magic that will stand up to repeated performaces.

If you want a starter set get a set of vernet shells. I sold car loads of them. I used a set of vernet shells for years and just gave them to my daughter.

Or get a set of thimbles or some plastic bottle caps and cut up a sponge ball for a pea. And use that.

Then when your ready to make an investment in your act with quality props go to the school of scoundrels and get a better set.

Because the products at the school of scoundrels are worth the money... And should be looked at like as an investment in your act.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Tarbell Magic
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

Profile of Tarbell Magic
ImpromptuBoy,

Go for the La Maggiore Shells (they come with 2 School for Scoundrels' Perfect Peas). They handle like a dream. I should buy a spare set myself.
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
875 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
How good are the golden shells from SFS?
Thanks.
Michael
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
They are great, if I do say so myself. They are heavy, and that makes them great for certain moves like the "Kick Steal." They are perfectly designed to work smoothly on any surface. The heavy gold finish is guaranteed for life against tarnishing or chipping. We will replace them without charge if you have a problem. They are very beautiful both in look and feel.
Check out the reviews from Magic and Genii on http://www.schoolforscoundrels.com
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I can't say about the golden shells but my copper set from the school of scoundrels is the best set I have ever owned...

By the way I liked them so much I got two copper sets...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
875 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
I haven't looked at those.
I'll take a look at it.
Thanks Glenn.
Michael
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I looked at the Penguin plastic shells vs. the Vernet's and they are so similar, uh... well... anyway I wouldn't recommend EITHER unless you are a total beginner and want to practice.

However, using them is harder to do than if you get the good kind. Like School for Scoundrel sets.

You may as well use bottle caps and a piece of insulation rubber sponge.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2004-09-21 18:57, Pete Biro wrote:

Are those Penguin's new "Golden Caps" and "Perfect Sponge?"
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
911 Posts

Profile of Riley
Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
It Happens Whit Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
Quote:
On 2004-09-24 12:20, whithaydn wrote:
Quote:

Are those Penguin's new "Golden Caps" and "Perfect Sponge?"

Only if Pete Markets them first. Smile
Chris
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
I looked at the Penguin plastic shells vs. the Vernet's and they are so similar, uh... well... anyway I wouldn't recommend EITHER unless you are a total beginner and want to practice.

I think that on a mat, both sets work okay, and are good for learning the basic moves.

Unfortunately, both have a cheap, toy or magic shop look, however, and that is something to avoid in a professional performance. You want your props to reflect your level of professionalism.

I would not want to use any prop that looks like it was purchased at a magic shop or toy store because it detracts from the "specialness" of the performance.

If you want a decent beginner's set, I recommend the original Vernet set. At least the company has been an honest and fair one, and for many years produced the only easily available set. Their peas are also quite workable and nice looking--much better than those supplied with the Magic Maker set.

I could never recommend the Penguin/Magic Maker set because of the business and advertising practices of these companies.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
For the best set I ever owned it is the two copper sets from the school of scoundrels... Also the brass thimble rig set is also great. I got two of these fine thimble rig sets and I know their are only a few sets of the thimble rig sets left.

Get them while you can because once they are gone they may be gone for good... And I searched high and low for a set of thimble rig that is as good as this one...

The Vernet set of shells is a good starter set as Whit and Pete said. I used one for years and I have video of me using it on TV at my web site...

But I would not want to use them in a nice club like the Magic Castle... When booked at the Castle I used the copper set I got from the school of scoundrels.

The shell game seems to be like many of magic tricks we all start with. When we start in magic we all buy plastic magic from Adams - Royal - Tenyo...

And that is fine...

But after a while when we do shows we up-grade to the higher quality brass magic and quality shells and thimble rig sets that you can get from the school of scoundrels...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Thanks for the plug, Glenn.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Your welcome Whit...

As you and others in the Café know I sort of grew up behind the magic counter of the Marshall Brodien Magic Shop at Old Chicago Amusement Park.

Later the store became Bishop's Magic Shop My Dad got the store from Marshall and the place became Bishop's Magic Shop.

Back in 1975 when I started behind the counter the best set of shells for the shell game were the vernet shells. That was it. I sold car loads of them and used them for years.

Then I heard about the School Of Scoundrles from the Café. I had also heard of you and your performing skill from Terry Vecky. A close friend and close up magician that was living in Chicago.

I have been searching and looking to get a nice set of shells and thimble rig for over 20 years. I have seen many sets and I have a colection of shells like I have a collection of cups for the cups and balls.

Basicly - when I like something I like it and I like to tell people about it.

So often in magic with many dealers there are cheap rip offs... Bad management... And what I call magic junk...

You... Whit Haydn and the School Of Scoundrels do things in a professional manor and sell quality products and I am proud to show them to friends and use them to make money with doing shows...

That is my main point... The props are quality and I use them to make money. So it is important to have the QUALITY PROPS...

Not the cheap copy junk that is sold by the Penguin's and ducks in the magic dealer world...

I think everything you sell is great from the Three card monte DVD to Fast and Loose to the sets of the shellgame and thimble rig...

Keep up the great work because magic needs more people like you Whit - and Good places to buy quality props like the School Of Scoundrels... Your good for magic!!!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » The Penguin Golden 3 Shell Game (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL