The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Using A Video Recorder (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Shawn74
View Profile
Loyal user
New Mexico
211 Posts

Profile of Shawn74
When you use a video recorder to tape your close-up work, (ie. card effects, coin matrix) how do you set it up? Do you use it to "burn" your hands for the effect, or do you set it as far back as you would have a spectator for the effect?
I am new to using this tool for rehersal and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You.
Shawn
Hold your breath...make a wish...count to 3... and you'll be in a world of pure imagination
Willy Wonka
Mauricio Jaramillo
View Profile
Elite user
Colombia
412 Posts

Profile of Mauricio Jaramillo
A little bit of both. I don't have the camera close up to catch every detail. It's always about 2-3 feet away, so I get to see the what the spectator will see. (And to make sure I don't do some stupid face in the middle of a sleight.) This distance still allows me to see clearly what my hands are doing. This allows for the best analysis, in my opinion.
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1177 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
I do both as well. When I am practicing, I will put the camera in close to really see what my hands are doing. When I am rehearsing, I will back the camera up to get an idea of what the spectator will see.

I must admit though, that I will set up a camera for a rehearsal much more often than for a practice session.

Mike
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
One important thing as far as placement is to set the camera at the eye level of your audience. IF you are practicing for table hopping, set the camera around your waist level, so you can see what it looks like for those who will be seated.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
THEHATER
View Profile
New user
Yugoslavia
37 Posts

Profile of THEHATER
According to pros, if you record and record, you keep on improving because you always try to look perfect in everything. It is a good way to develop flawlessness.
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
597 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
For close-up one thought is to use two mirrors, one on each side set at 45-degree angle.

I believe Tarbell Vol 8 suggests this set up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Opps, This is why you should NOT post at 2:53 A.M.

Not Tarbell, Henry Hay's, "The Amateur Magician's Handbook". (Fourth Edition)

Part seven:
21. Platfrom Magic
Coaching Yourself With Videotape, by The Amazing Randi.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
I love video cameras. I shoot from all angles, up, down, left, right. I really try to position the camera at the eye of the spectator.
Great tool!
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
onezero1
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of onezero1
Indeed, I would be lost without my camcorder...my one-eyed spectator who is a REAL critic! I treat the camera's lense as the spectators eyes and set it to a wide shot.
I generally only use a mirror for practicing the mechanics of an effect and use the camera for rehearsal.
'though it stands to reason that a samurai should be mindful of the Way...it would seem that we are all negligent.
PhilippO
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of PhilippO
The camera never lies, and it tells you all the things that you may not even want to know, although you should know them.

Ief you have on, use it. Nothing compares to it.
Nemic386
View Profile
Regular user
Pensacola FL
181 Posts

Profile of Nemic386
I think the best way (for me anyway) is to put it off to the side. You know, for the view of that one guy who sees the break from the left or right. That way I can condition my hands to cover ALL angles.
"Magic is knowing it's impossible, but believing in it anyway"
chrisch
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of chrisch
When people make videos, how do they make the surrounding so dark that you can only see the hands?

excuse me if it's stupid, but I tried it and mine was awful
magiciandex
View Profile
New user
White Pine, Tennessee
80 Posts

Profile of magiciandex
I record my hands and then go back and record my whole body that way I get to see all of my actions.
IBM Ring 58
Winter Carnival Of Magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Using A Video Recorder (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL