The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Help!!! Old comedy magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Hi there! I once saw video of a comedy magician (older) who reminded me very much of Victor Borge. He came on stage with his little cart that said something like "World's Greatest Magishen" and did some comedy bits. He didn't actually do magic tricks, just comedy.
I know this is very vague, but that's all I remember. I know I'll recognize the name as soon as I hear it! Any help would be greatly apprecciated!! THANKS!!!
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
Sounds like the one and only Carl Ballantine.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7350 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Sounds like Ballantine to me also. Did get to see him work at IBM in San Diego a few years back. He doesn't do the magic much anymore but the timing is still there.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!
I knew I'd recognize the name when I heard it. You guys are great, thanks so much. The next step is trying to get ahold of a tape of him, or footage of his shows. Any suggestions?

-I can't believe you guys got it with my terrible description!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7350 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I'll look to get the name of some of the specials he was on. I think most of them were in the 70's or 80's.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Plus, you might want to collect old segments of the TV sitcom, "McHale's Navy," where he played the con-artist/sailor Seaman Gruber.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Ballantine is either 86 or 87 this coming Sunday and will be attending a birthday party in his honor.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
I think he used to be on the Ed Sullivan show on a fairly regular basis.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1484 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Victor Borge played the piano and did comedy.

Ian
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2004-12-24 07:44, trunk8 wrote:
Victor Borge played the piano and did comedy.

Ian
Exactly...
He did COMEDY!
To compare anybody with Victor Borge is a disgrace to *art* Smile

Victor Borge was absolutely the GREATEST..

Carl Ballantine was probably funny -YES, I've seen his act a couple of times!-...but IMHO Ali Bongo's act is much more funny as well as some others..not to slag Carl Ballantine, but I really have problems to get his act compared with anything Victor Borge did...

Maybe there is a BIG difference in the european humour and the american one..that might explain it, nevertheless Victor Borge had GREAT success in the States, so the difference can't be that big Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5703 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I have to say this, it is more than timing that Ballantine brings to the stage.

The stage at the San Diego IBM Convention was huge. Many of the big illusion acts were lost on that stage even with thier huge props and stage sets. Yes, it was that huge of a stage.

Ballantine walked in front of the curtain and commanded that huge stage with his act. It was like flying back in time to the Vaudeville days. A single man comanding the stage is an extremely rare thing to see these days. Balantine's framing is impeccable.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7350 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I agree as I also saw Ballantine at San Diego. He is a true actor that knows how to command a stage with a minimum of props. Vito Scotto also could do this.

I do agree that Victor Borge is in a class onto himself. It was entirely a different kind of comedy.
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Help!!! Old comedy magician (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL