The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » First heckler...woo hoo! (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
So, I'm doing some card work at a benefit today, when a most disagreeable fellow comes up. I go into Daley's Last Trick and he walks away...only to come back as I start to do a Card to Wallet with a kid spectator (my premise was that if he could find his card in three choices from the deck, I'd give him $10...which gave me the cover for bringing out the wallet). He says loudly, "the card's on top of the deck! the card's on top!"

With $10 already riding on it, I say, "sir, I'll bet you $5 it's not." He replies, "I don't have it, but the card's on top! I'll bet you $100!," and starts to walk away again.

I replied, "I'm glad you don't have it, 'cause I think you'd lose," and turn over the top card. He moves on...and the trick continued. The kid didn't get the money, but did get a signed deck to keep as a souvenir, which was my intention all along.

I laughed about it with several folks who saw the whole thing; on balance, I think I handled it pretty well. I played along with him, working him into the patter without dismissing him out of hand. We'll see how the next one goes.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Sounds like you handled this one real smooth!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Doug:
It does me no good to get into it with him...the crowd is with me, anyway, and I lose them if I try to assert my superiority over him. Besides, last time I checked....magic is supposed to be fun.
Cheers,
Steve

Avrakdavra
View Profile
Loyal user
The Pine Tree State, USA
224 Posts

Profile of Avrakdavra
Skillfully done...did you find yourself responding spontaneously, or did you stop for a moment and consider your tactics?

B. Stephen Freedberg
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

I definitely thought it through for a moment; impromptu reactions invariably get you in trouble.

(Nice name, btw.)
Cheers,
Steve

Avrakdavra
View Profile
Loyal user
The Pine Tree State, USA
224 Posts

Profile of Avrakdavra
Yeah, ditto.
Rodentia
View Profile
New user
Southern California
81 Posts

Profile of Rodentia
I've only ever been heckled once, was in front of a big crowd eating fire and someone yelled that "they'd seen it before" when I repeated a move as a transition to something else..I ignored them and kept going, working to the rest of the crowd and all went fine..Recently someone in an audience figured out a punch line before I got to it, I laughed and told him he stole my joke and it was unfair, I made it all in fun and he and everyone laughed..
Fire is a demanding Mistress...

http://combustiblecircus.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » First heckler...woo hoo! (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL