The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Dunninger and Houdini (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Anyone have any Information where they might of performed in the same theater together. Don,
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
While they were friends, I have never heard of them ever performing on the same bill. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.)
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I don't think it was the same bill but I beleive at the same theater.
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
If you're just looking for theaters where H & D performed (at different times) there are many. The Palace in NYC is the first that comes to mind, plus I am sure many others around the country.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
What year was this about I heard a Hilarious story about what Dunninger did to Houdini. Don,
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
Don -
If that was a question, I believe Houdini appeared at the Palace in NYC in 1914, however Dunninger did not appear until (I think) 1927. I am sure there are H & D experts out there who would know the exact dates.
Dunninger did not hit it big as a mentalist until afte Houdini's death in 1926. Before that time, Dunninger was doinmg straight magic, illusions, and some mind reading in his act.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Dunninger story.

The late owner of the Magic Museum in Marshall, Mich., whose name escapes me told me he wanted to meet Dunninger but heard Dunninger would slam the door on any magicians that came knocking.

He knew the mentalist had a dog.

So, armed with dog biscuits in his pocket, he knocked on the door, the dog was there, he immediately gave the dog a couple of the biscuits, etc. etc.... so, Dunninger, feeling he was a good man, as he loved his dog, let him in.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
The man's name was Robert Lund. He later became a good friend of Kreskin's.

- entity
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Even though Dunninger was a semi-star/big name in the mid twenties, he still ran around selling used magic, illusion and scenery. I know he humped Thurston for some fire proof curtain one time. Seems the curtain could never be approved by the local fire marshalls. Thurston tried to get his money back, but Joe never seemed to reply.

He tried to hump Houdini on an illusion, but Houdini gave it to him both barrels. He told him That he had one Hell of time trying to fix Dunninger's illusion. He said it was made of dime store material and the paint job was like it was done by a flock of pigeons. I think Joe D met his match that day.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Wow Interesting Kevin. the Story I heard is Houdini Being Locked in a Pay Toilet By Dunninger.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
If memory serves, it wasn't Dunninger who did the dirty work, and it was a telephone booth, not a pay toilet.

-entity
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Uh Not This Story. how Dunninger Locked him in was with a broom handle. the phone booth the person used a Key.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
It's possible, I suppose. There are all kinds of stories flying around about Houdini, most of them invented by Houdini himself.

My memory is that the phone booth gag used a broom through the exterior handles of the booth to lock Houdini in.

I must say that the bathroom stall doesn't sound at all like Dunninger's style. He would also be smart enough to know that Houdini would go crazy, and it wouldn't be good for Dunninger's career to alienate Houdini. For those reasons I find this version of the story hard to believe.

By the way, I knew Dunninger, very slightly.

- entity
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
I think this is magic Urban Legend myself. Sometimes lesser lights like to hear themselves talk.

As for Dunninger, he needed Houdini more than Houdini needed him. As I remember, Houdini stood up for Joe D. when the SAM wanted to kick him out.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Dunninger and Houdini (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL