The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Effect From "Television Dove Magic"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Hello everyone!

I am just starting to finish off everything in my act and polish everything cause I am moving to vegas this summer. I have known for quite a while I needed another dove production and I had my eyes set on this one for about 2 years. I finally want to begin working on it and get it going. In "Television Dove Magic" From Ian Adair there is a effect called "My 'Dove From Billiard Balls'" by Franklin! The effect is that after the the production of your 8 billiard balls the dove appears on the top of them from nowhere.

Well it does say how extremly hard this is to master but my question is, is it a pipe dream or is it surefire when it is finally mastered? Another question, I have no idea how I would construct the special whale bone pocket the effect talks about, I have no idea where to get whale bone and who to make it for me. I wanted to know if some of you guys out there could help me out with this and let me know through here or a PM. Also if someone knows about this effect and could make the pocket (I know a lot of you out there have some you sell) I would love to grab one from you at any reasonable price. This would really help me out guys and make my Christmas...

Thanks everyone,

DJ
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Hello DJ,

I don't perform this trick but I am aware of it. Whalebone is the commercial name for a stiff piece of plastic used in dressmaking to make skirts stand out full. (See, if you lived in Dixie and saw Southern Belles regularly, you'd know! You'd make sure your contacts were the right prescription too!)

Actually some ball droppers and other cloth sleeves (gimmicks) have it in the "mouth" to keep it closed until you are ready to produce something. Then you just squeeze at the ends and it opens up and the ball, egg, die, etc. just drops out. A good substitute is the blade from a metal tape measure. Just cut it to any length you want and have it sewn into the gimmick.

Using one piece instead of two will keep a container open instead of closed. (It works like a basket ball hoop except that it is flexible.) Look at some of Michael Ammar's stuff and you will find all kinds of uses for it. Of course, it is not exactly what he uses. But the effects possible are very much alike.

(And Lucy thinks I'm nuts because I keep pieces of old broken measuring tapes? Why, I'm an artist! OK, not really.)

Good luck on your move. Enjoy!

Bob
Magic By Sander

Warning! Metal measuring tape blades will cut you and they love magnets. (That should load you with more ideas on how to use those treasures!)
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Bob Swadling's pull apart holder is much easier for this effect.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Bob,

Thanks a million my friend, all the info was good, do you have any idea where I can buy the effect or construction plans to have someone build it for me? I know it is a pocket and then the whale bone is on the mouth but I am confused as to how the whale bone is placed.

thanks again...

wmhegbli,

Thanks for the info! Is this the version where the holder ends up wrapped around your wrist? If so I can't use it because at this point in my act I am sleeveless. If not and you can give me more info that would be great!

Any of you guys who make holders and would like to make a custom one for me please please give me a pm, price is not a issue at this point!

Thanks everyone!
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Assuming that you're using a flash four. You could set up an In******* H****** when you go for the final four.
POOF!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
DJ,

Just think of the whalebone as the string in a laundy bag except the ends don't stick out. Even in a vest, a continuous loop of the "stuff" will mash flat against your body. Weight in the bag has no bearing on the bag being opened or closed. (Empty, it is also a great place to ditch things.) A Velcro spot will keep it flat. I don't use invisible dove harnesses. If my doves look free it is because they are! (That upsets some folks. But you don't have to. Instead, pull the bag wrong side out. I don't do the billard ball thing but it works with a card fan!) To say any more, we need to move to the Banquet Room.

I don't know anyone who sells such a accessory and the world's best magicians' tailor (Slydini) is no longer with us. Ask George Schindler at Showbiz Services if he can help you. He is east and you are west, but the gimmick is very light weight and cheap to ship. Vegas has some really good costumers that might can help you too. The three best places for costume help are New York, Vegas, and New Orleans. Mardi Gras probably has all of New Orleans busy right now getting ready for February. Your new home is an excellent place for costume help. We envy you.

Scheme!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Bob Thanks SOO much!!

I am actually doing the version with card fans! Not billiard balls. So you spoke about saying too much in this forum well if you could pm me that would be great. And I would love to see if George Schindler can help me out. Do you have a E-mail Address of a phone#?

thanks for all your help bob it has been great!!

DJ
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
DJ,

For George Schindler at Showbiz Services

http://www.showbizmagic.net/

My regular emails are below. AmazedWiz adresses will usually find me.

You'll like this with card fans and a good birds. You can also pop a balloon and produce a dove on a wand. (Now just where is there a photo like that? Look around.) By the time you straighten your arm the load is no where near you. (Thank God for self-propelled loads!)

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Whalebone is still available in fabric stores.

Another item that might work is a snap open type change purse. It is two pieces of metal (spring steel) that are attached at each end to small hinge like piece. I would cover the spring steel with duct tape and then fabric to take away the sharp edges.

I will look at Adair's book and see if it is something I might want to tackle.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Effect From "Television Dove Magic"? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL