The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » How To Fly Doves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Luke Sherratt
View Profile
Loyal user
The Isle Of Wight, England
246 Posts

Profile of Luke Sherratt
I was wondering, now that I live in a smaller house how can one excercise there doves if there is not any space in the house? What other alternatives are there? We have a garage but it is tiny and the car is in it. so any help you can give would be great.

Best,

Luke
We're 106 miles from Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5015 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Luke, as long as the doves can excercise their wings, they really don't need a lot of space. I let them fly from hand to hand or do the step climb on my fingers over and over. This works well just before a show to tire them out a little as well. You could set up a perch and toss them to it a few times. The garage is plenty large enough to work with them while the car is outside.
Where the magic begins
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Luke,

On the road we use the motel room bathroom to fly the birds. It's small, easy to reach all parts and, if there's an accident, it's easy to clean up.

Doves walk more than they fly anyway. Ours would rather play in the water! It's really just playtime and a chance to be together. Some doves, I think, actually enjoy it. Others it calms down. It's a morning thing that helps start the day.

Doves simply don't develope the lung problems parrots and tropical birds do from inactivity. That's a major reason why they are so well suited to travel and show business.

Enjoy your doves. Treat them well and you can use them well over a dozen good years in your show.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
452 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
I think having a flight trained bird in the show is the best way to make sure that your bird stays in shape.
magicsam
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of magicsam
Sorry if this is going off topic, but I have heard that if you let doves off in the house, they 'excrete' everywhere. Is this true?
Is it possible to let doves off in a room for a while, or would they wreck the place?

Thanks,
Sam
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5015 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Doves do what they need to do when the need arises. They don't care where they are. Normally, they won't do their business while flying around but it can happen. It's not like they go all the time and they won't fly constantly. Doves don't fly well or for very long so they'll just find a place to roost and then do their thing if needed.
Where the magic begins
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
I have noticed that my Macaw that does a flyback tends to adjust to the venue size and varies her circle accordingly. I would imagine that this is the same for doves because you generally don't toss them out very far. I hope that this helps.

MDS
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » How To Fly Doves (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL