The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Bob McAllister's GreenWarp (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
I had the booklet for this for years and hadn't worked it into performance yet. I am working up some new closeup routines and finally performed this.

This kills!

My explanation begins with all the new security features built into the new bills. I perform this with a five because that's the lowest denomination that's had the makeover. I explain that the portrait is bigger and off center, it has the microprinting and the security strip, but the really weird thing is what happens when you do this (folding the card)...

I like to show the edge of the whole card while opening the bill, saying, "You have to get it lined up so that none of the ink on the bill shows past the edge of the card..." Of course this is nonsense, but it motivates opening the bill to show the whole card edge.

With the bill in the proper orientation, you see Lincoln's face with the folded card sticking above it. I say, "Now the expression on his face won't change, but the one on yours will. Watch this."

Then I shove the card and it flips. You send it through three times, the third time ripping the card because you can "catch" it flipped halfway.

So the handling is all as in the published effect, but some folks really buy the idea that it has something to do with the new bills. I don't usually do effects in which I am showing something weird that I can't explain, but that really seemed to work with this effect. I know that there are a lot of Card Warp fans out there, anyone else doing GreenWarp?

Yours,

Paul
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
Michael Close's version of this effect is the absolute best I've ever seen. He even has a method for restoring the card after the trick. It's amazing. You can find it on his Ultimate Workers DVD vol. 1

Caleb
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
I read the version from The Collected Almanac, and while I hear it's good, I simply can't understand the instructions. I keep reading it and trying to follow along, but it just doesn't make sense. Smile

Shane Wiker
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
GreenWarp is great, and was the first version of Card Warp using a bill and card vs. two cards. A number of magicians favor Bruce Cervon's second variation of the effect published in his book Ultra Cervon.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Thanks for the tips, Caleb and Larry. I plan to get Michael Close's DVDs.

Shane, I had some difficulty with the written instructions also. Sit down with an old deck of cards and a bill and go through half the deck if you need to. Along the way you might ask yourself, why am I opening the bill at this point? Your presentation will grow out of this.

Yours,

Paul
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
You won't be disappointed with the Close's version. Cervon published his version in his video set too. It is nice since it adds a very clever touch to it but, nevertheless, I prefer the Close's one as it offers a very nice crescendo in the different phases of the routine. VERY nice, I use it all the time (without the restoration part.)
Jonathan.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Who is Bob McAllister?

Koz
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
You don't know him??

I think he is no longer with us -and that goes years back-, but he was very well known some 20 years and more back..

I can't recall his signature pieces, but IIRC, one of them was a sponge ball transposition (smal ones) 4 pcs. under 2 cards..
Good ol' Albert G. did it too to get rid of some small sponges he produced.. Smile

Get Bart Whaleys *Who's who in Magic* -I haven't looked re Bob though - and you'll find a lot of amazing characters mentioned there..I'm pretty sure Bob is mentioned there too..
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
I have a birthday party video that was released in like 1985 or something of Bob performing magic tricks. The idea was that you could buy the tape, invite kids over and watch the magician on TV rather than have him live.

It's great to see him interacting with the kids through the TV. He even included a little drawer box with the video for the birthday child. That way he could "send" a birthday card to the child by making his vanish and reappear in the drawer box the kid has.

Also it features Bob dressed up as Fluffy the rabbit, a wanna be magician that can't get the tricks right. I had the video when I was a child and LOVED it. It's one of the reasons I got into magic in the first place. Classic.

Caleb
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
WAS BOB THE GUY WHO HOSTED WONDERRAMA?....

he was a magician also?

thanks
koz
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-09-23 12:44, tedb wrote:
WAS BOB THE GUY WHO HOSTED WONDERRAMA?....

he was a magician also?

thanks
koz
Yes..that was Bob/Wonderama!
(out of my lousy memory, but nevertheless 100% correct, I'll look it up later Smile )

Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Does anyone have any marketed McAllister effects?
He had Slydini on that show and I'm trying to hunt down who owns the rights to that show....I'm looking for contact info for the show...Has anyone seen Slydini on that show....Does anyone have any video?
Thanks
koz
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

I positively can recall he has some marketed items out, but this goes over 25 years back, so I can't recall what they where..
I'm pretty sure, he also is represented in the Tarbell course, at least in Vol 7.

I do have Slydini on several tapes, one from the Dick Cavett show, also one from the Fred Kaps Magic Show, where he did the silks, but I don't have any of the Wonderama stuff featuring Slydini.. Smile

PS, I also have Tony videonised from the original 8mm movies done way back by Harry Stanley...where he does his silks for Remo Inzani..wonder what happend to him.., as well as some other stuff..

Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
The Harry Stanley stuff,,,,who owns that stuff?

Charly Cambre says he has the original film, and I have permission of him using it but would like to verify that it's his...also, the Fred Kaps show...where was that...and did he do any other effects on that show...was it a TV show?

Thanks koz
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-09-23 13:02, Werner G. Seitz wrote:
Yes..that was Bob/Wonderama!
(out of my lousy memory, but nevertheless 100% correct, I'll look it up later Smile )
Yep...a bit tough to find..
Page 209 at Bart Whaleys *Who's who in Magic*..

Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Private me your phone number and I will call you. Ok?

Thanks
Koz
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-09-23 13:17, tedb wrote:
The harry stanley stuff,,,,who owns that stuff....

charley cambre says he has the original film...and I have permission of him using it but would like to verify that its his...also, the fred capps show...where was that...and did he do any other effects on that show...was it a tv show

thanks koz

Re The Fred Kaps show, Slydini there did only the silks! Can't recall the date..way back!
Re who owns Stanleys 8mm stuff more tough..books went over to Supreme, but they don't exist either anymore, I think..the 8mm's are another story..
Maybe Bill Palmer or Pete Biro does know more about this?
After all, Fred Kaps did Petes ring on stem of a wineglass, as well as Fred did his own Homing Card routine and the smoking spoon.....outstanding stuff...
Edited:
Yes, it was a TV show!

drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Koz,

My little Greenwarp booklet is titled "Bob McAllister's Greenwarp." I bought it at a magic club lecture/demo in the early 1990s. I assume that this is a marketed Bob McAllister item. I will look it over (it's not at hand right now) to see if I can find the publisher.

Yours,

Paul
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Ok thanks Dr Wilson....

Werner, thanks I will ask Bill and Pete

koz
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Koz,

The pamphlet is "Greenwarp by Bob McAllister - Instructions by Richard Kaufman." There is a cover in heavy stock. Inside, a single 8.5" x 11" sheet is folded to provide two double-sided pages of instructions with illustrations. There is no date or publisher's address. Bob McAllister's address and phone number in New York City are given.

I bought this around 1990.

Yours,

Paul
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Bob McAllister's GreenWarp (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL