The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Magnetic ring manufacturer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
I would like a magnetic ring built, but have no idea how to go about this. I don't like the Omega Ring, because of the obvious gimmick and the design. I bought the Elohim ring, but again the design wasn't to my liking (though I prefer this to the Omega Ring). I would like a signet style gold ring with 2 rubber strips inlaid (to deaden the sound) that would mimic onyx (this is an idea of Allan Ackerman). Can a neodymium magnet be imbedded in the ring when it is poured, or will the heat destroy the magnet? It could be attached underneath, but this makes the ring rather bulky, and I would like it to be as unobtrusive as possible. Thanks for any input.
Bill
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Bill

I use a sovereign ring and have a PK under the coin.

This sort of thing:

http://www.taxfreegold.co.uk/halfsovereignrings.html

They look good but now mine has something extra.

I suggest that you take some PKs with you and try them for size.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
sullivanl
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of sullivanl
Great advice paulajayne. Thanks!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Get a steel ring and have it gold plated after. Or brass with magnet inset. I would try to find a manufacturing jeweler. Here in L.A. there are tons of them.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
If the magnet were included in the pour, you would likely do heavy damage to it, you can though, have the jeweler make the wax with the magnet in place to create a space for it in the pour (remove the magnet first) The area of nonferrous metal over the thing should be very thin, as a Neod. does not have a very far range. I would work with the jeweler and check it against items using some of the sheet silver or gold to see what will work. They might also use the sheet metal to make a ring, hammering it and soldering it into shape.
Pete has the best idea, go with a steel ring, one could be made though the jewler might involve a machine shop! You will get a better range with a steel one.
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Pete,

Have you ever noticed how well women know jewelry? Magic props are incidental!

You know why? Diamonds are a girl's best friend.

And man's best friend is a ____________?

Yep! A dog!

There must be a difference.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Unh, Thanks! (I think!) ;}

On magic props?!? I scour the craft and second hand stores, and you do NOT want to know the things I find and how my mind imagines them! <those Evil Teddy bears!>
Kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Alchimest
View Profile
Regular user
Alchimest
133 Posts

Profile of Alchimest
I have an Omega ring as well and have never used it for it's intended purposes. Its ungimmicked double, however, I use all the time.

As for the PK, have you given any thought to using a PK with a finger clip? You could put an iron rivit (or whatever) on your belt or even a piece of iron in your pocket and the PK could be picked up and dropped off virtually unnoticed.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
The Master Ring is the most deceptive. John Altpeter made them and is now re-releasing them.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
John Altpeter
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of John Altpeter
Bill, when designing the MasteRing I tested several different possibilities. One of the things I experimented with was enclosing the magnet in gold or silver. It failed horribly. The heat will destroy neodymium so I tried using Solarium (spelling). Solarium has the same strength as neodymium but can handle much higher heats. However it became apparent that the gold (or silver) fused with the magnet, deteriorated after a very short period of time. The gold discolored, turned to dust and flaked off. I also tried encasing the metal in gold then magnetizing it afterwards. The magnet strength was negligible.

The MasteRing was the final result, a ring where the magnet was completely hidden, from any angle. No suspicious looking stones or embellishments. It can even be examined. Although I have never needed to hand it out. I Bill, when designing the MasteRing I tested several different possibilities. One of the things I experimented with was enclosing the magnet in gold or silver. It failed horribly. The heat will destroy neodymium so I tried using Solarium (spelling). Solarium has the same strength as neodymium but can handle much higher heats. However it became apparent that the gold (or silver) fused with the magnet, deteriorated after a very short period of time. The gold discolored, turned to dust and flaked off. I also tried encasing the metal in gold then magnetizing it afterwards. The magnet strength was negligible.

The MasteRing was the final result, a ring where the magnet was completely hidden, from any angle. No suspicious looking stones or embellishments. It can even be examined. Although I have never needed to hand it out. I silence the “talking” when using the MasteRing with coins by placing a small amount of scotch tape on the ring. It prevents that metal against metal sound.

- John Altpeter

Well it appears that my last post doubled. If its too confusing just let me know, and I will repost.

Sorry, John Altpeter
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Does John Altpeter have a web site or contact number?
Posted: May 10, 2005 6:49pm
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, I see he has another post.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Magnetic ring manufacturer (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL