The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Applebees? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Prophet
View Profile
Regular user
Caledonia, NY
184 Posts

Profile of Prophet
I am thinking of approaching a local Applebees about table hopping, and was just wondering if anyone has seen entertainment there or has worked there themselves?

Thanks Smile
Yours In Magic

Mike

Smile
If you are new to Magic check out my article
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=462185&forum=41
Duct Tape is like the Force. It has a dark and a light side and holds the universe together.
donaldlaporte
View Profile
New user
new hampshire
46 Posts

Profile of donaldlaporte
Good luck,

I’ve known a few guys that have approached different Applebees with no luck. If you eat there enough you’ll see that the staff walks around with inexpensive jokes and gags, then after a while gives them to someone at a table. It seems that they like to keep it in house, as far as entertainment. Being a corporate chain they’re usually the hardest to get into.

don Smile
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Actually, a number of workers perform at Applebee's across the country. Check the "Who's Where" at the back of Magic Magazine.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Prophet
View Profile
Regular user
Caledonia, NY
184 Posts

Profile of Prophet
Is there anyway I could obtain a copy of that section of Magic Magazine? Also, while we are on the subject, how would I subscribe to Magic Magazine?

Thanks Smile
Yours In Magic

Mike

Smile
Duct Tape is like the Force. It has a dark and a light side and holds the universe together.
mtmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of mtmagic
Prophet
View Profile
Regular user
Caledonia, NY
184 Posts

Profile of Prophet
Cool! Thanks a lot. Smile
Yours In Magic

Mike

Smile
Bengi
View Profile
Veteran user
Georgia
309 Posts

Profile of Bengi
I haven't had any luck with Applebees here in Georgia, either. Guess they must think all magicians are too good for them!

Bengi Smile
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
There's an old concept called a self-fulfilling prophecy.

When I moved to the Boise area NO ONE was doing restaurant magic. Everyone said there was no interest, the market wouldn't bear it, the few places that would book you didn't want to pay--they wanted you to work just for food and tips, etc. I proceeded to go out and book restaurants, where I have worked 4-5 nights per week, making over $100 per night (2 hours) for almost the last decade!

Listen, gang. In the real world, how good a magician you are is subsidiary to how good a salesman, businessman, promoter, and public relations guy you are, what kind of image you portray and how likeable you are.

If you can convince that manager/owner that you will create good will for his restaurant and more than pay for yourself, and that he needs you--that his establishment is better with you than without you--you'll get the gig, whether its for a national chain or a local yokel.

My advice? Spend at least as much time learning how to market, promote, interact professionally and positively with people as you spend on magic.

There's another old saying, "The biggest word in show business is BUSINESS!"
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Hypno-Dave
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Hypno-Dave
I've worked a number of Applebee's locations.

You should contact the area manager, since this is the final decision-maker. Keep in mind, though, that it is up to each G.M. to decide if they want you in their restaurant. I would insist on collecting after every show. (Corporate-pay accounts are notoriously slow.) Once you sell one location and do well, the A.M. will get the word out to others.

Your best luck with them is to hit the locations near busy highways or airports.

Hope this helps,

Hypno-Dave

Smile
vovin
View Profile
Veteran user
Columbus,Oh
338 Posts

Profile of vovin
Another thing, when you meet the manager
show him a few good tricks right off the bat and he’ll loosen up a bit.
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
I work an Applebee's in NY. Honestly, it's my least favorite of my restaurants. Too many children with greasy fingers all over my stuff. I'll get cards back all sticky with BB-Q sauce all over them...UGH!!!
Patrick McKeever
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Patrick McKeever
Do any of you use a small table to do restaurant magic, or are they just too obtrusive?
Sergeant
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of Sergeant
My advice is to read Scott’s posting again. In fact, reread it many times.
You will not start out making $100 dollars in two hours, but with work and experience it is very possible. Attitude is such an interesting concept and it can work both ways.

Sergeant
BarryRice
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis, IN
88 Posts

Profile of BarryRice
Here is my bit of advice, be sure that you speak with THE decision maker. I think I have missed a couple of opportunities because I talked to the "second in command"

Magic must be seen to be understood. When the assistant manager says "And then there were TWO balls in my hand," it never has the same effect as when those two balls end up in the manager's hand. (Those are sponge balls by the way)

That being said, it is okay to impress others in the resturant. Just be sure that you talk to the man in charge in stead of someone acting as a go between.
"The magic of the tongue is the most dangerous of all spells."
-Edward George Earle Lytton Bulwer-Lytton

http://www.amazingbarry.com
Jim Davis
View Profile
Special user
What is....? Utah
945 Posts

Profile of Jim Davis
As always, Scott has hit it right on the head!

Remember that corprate accounts may make you jump through more hoops, but can also have the deepest pockets when it comes to financial reward.

Don't give up! Don't ever give up!!

Remember to sell yourself, if you are convinced you are a benifit to the establishment, then you will be.
Diamond Jim Davis "The Cardslinger" ~~~ Magic from the '80's....................the 1880's!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Don't just be a magician, be a human interest!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>[url]www.periodplayers.com[/ur
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
I have also approached applbees. They are not magician friendly. Apparently corporate has stated that they are not aloud to hire in such entertainment.
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
Scott is very right about marketing, in fact if you look at show business, there are four letters in show and twice as many in business. This should tell us all that it's twice as much work involved in the business end, then the show end. Scott has made recommendations elsewhere in the Café about business books that should be in every working performers library, go back and look them up, there is a world of information out there, and Scott is one man you should definately listen too.
Marty
MOTO42
View Profile
Loyal user
Whitehouse Texas
225 Posts

Profile of MOTO42
Sometimes it won't matter how good you are at selling your show though. Occasionally the almighty Corporate Overlords will say, "Don't do this," and that's that. Sometimes it will be a matter of, "We can't afford it, maybe if you come back when profits are up," or maybe they will think that having a show of any kind in their place is just silly.
Don't waste too much time on a lost cause, but don't begrudge them either.
"One man's miracle is another man's warm-up"
Pinky
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, Canada
49 Posts

Profile of Pinky
Don't think about it...do it. The worst they can say is, "No," which puts you no further ahead than you were, but it doesn't put you any further back either.

If you never try, you'll never know.
Dave Cross

"The problem with being better than everyone else is that people tend to think you're pretentious."
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
Here in Portland there is a KID all of 15 or 16 working not 1 but 3 or 4 different Applebee's. He is not that great at magic, but he is GREAT at selling himself. And you know what, now that he has a place to perform and practice, he can only get better. So Kudos to him and good luck to you. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Vernon on coins- try performing at the table BEFORE they get their food and stay away from the sticky fingers. Just a thought, but I do feel your pain. Every now and then I will have to work a table where they just finished eating and they want to see more magic. In that case I usually produce coins from their ears and such, but do not let them touch them. This is when it becomes less interaction and more of a show, WHICH I HATE. I love the interaction, it is my favorite part.

Corey B.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Applebees? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL