The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fred Kaps Original Floating Cork :) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Hello everyone!

Just finishing the little touches on my act, and seeing what I still need and what I don't, I realised I wanted to open the act with a floating cigarette. I tried "The Animated Cigarette" from Mr. Kennedy, but it was not my thing although it is very beautiful when done correctly.

Well, I came across this (Floating Cork) and was curious about the levitation and if I can change the cork box and cork to a cigarette and cigarette box? I am also very curious about the connection. I don't want a method here just want to know if there is a lot to the set-up, because I am loaded with birds and other things!

So if someone can describe the effect as they see it and rate it say compared to the, hhmmmmm, Fearson Floating Cigarette in terms of the amount of movement I would truly appreciate it, and if you think I can change up the object levitating.

I tried to search the Café and found nothing. I am just curious and would love to know if this is fit for a opening on stage, and if when mastered looks like one of the best small object levitations out there?

I really hope I didn't ask too much.

DJ
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Kaps Floating Cork is a close up trick, ment to be presented at special occasions when the 'time is right'. It is a standard hook-up. It is very much the same as what you have mentioned. You would not gain any by trying to convert to other items.

Fearson's floating cig is the best around to date. I have not seen Kennedy's item.

Effect: Show box on palm, open box, cork starts to move, floats and gyrates. Remove box, cork floates in air. Remove ring from wrist. Pass over cork. Put box on palm. Cork floats back to open box. Close Box. That's it. Cork is always moving.
Magique Hands
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, NE.
247 Posts

Profile of Magique Hands
DJ Trixx...

A great explanation and extensive set-up for Fred Kapps' Floating Cork can be found in a small paperback book called 'Thread Reference'. I'm not sure of its author, but the book cover is black with a spider web. I want to say the author is Leo Behenke... or something like that.

This book also has great ideas for floating cigars and cigarettes.

Hope this helps,
- - Troy
"If you go around sprinkling Woofle Dust on everything... people will think 'My... What an odd character." www.magicmafia.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Leo Behnke, lives in Las Vegas, email is bookgroup@att.net
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Kaps Cork is explained in detail in the Ken Brooke Book from L&L Pub. I believe you can also get the booklet from Stevens Magic of this trick instructions alone.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
It WAS frightening!!!

The very first time I saw the FK floating cork was by a friend of mine who had bought it from KB. (And luckily after his performance he didn't explain it!) My father in law and I where flabbergasted and didn't understand a thing RE: how it was done.

I came up with a lot of crazy ideas, like CO2 injected by a needle inside that cork and similar silly stuff. I really believed that something like that must have been the solution.

I/we simply couldn't see that d.... t. , and being as close as we where, having good eyesight, there was absolutely no doubt in our mind that a *t* was NOT in use. So there must be another solution. I almost couldn't sleep that night! So this indicates, how strong a trick like this can be.

Later, luckily I saw it done by the master himself, FK. Unfortunately by that time, I did know the secret. I wish I hadn't gotten to know it!!!! It simply was MAGIC!!!
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Yes, Kaps did MAGIC with that little cork. We made up fifty sets and sold them at a convention.

Unfortunately, Kaps had several other miracles to market but go so upset with folks ripping off Ken Brooke he decided to keep them to himself (and a few close friends).
oldwilson_2000
View Profile
New user
Germany
77 Posts

Profile of oldwilson_2000
Just for the record: The effect was invented by Bruno Hennig (Joro) from Germany. Fred Kaps used Joro's routine with his permission.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Correct, Hennig was maybe the creator, if not the leader, of INVISIBLE THREAD WORK.

Kaps always admitted he was not an inventor of tricks, but had a great ability to select the right things to do and had the best skills to do them justice.
oldwilson_2000
View Profile
New user
Germany
77 Posts

Profile of oldwilson_2000
I was told that Joro was the first magician to use the hookup now known as the LeClair Hookup. Is that correct?
MaGiCoH
View Profile
Regular user
Brazil
167 Posts

Profile of MaGiCoH
Where can I see the Floating Cork in action ?
Could anyone post an url address ?
Thanks.
     ´ H `

"Seeking the purest mentalism"

http://www.omentalista.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2005-01-25 16:35, MaGiCoH wrote:
Thanks.

NO!
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Quote:
Thanks.

Doug Henning does it on one of his TV specials. I'm not sure which one. Also, the Ken Brooks book has a very detailed explanation of the effect. Unfortunately, the floating bill has become such a warhorse for strolling magicians, I think the effect has lost a lot of its impact.

Richard
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I do not remember Henning doing the Floating Cork on any of his specials!
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Quote:
Thanks.

http://www.weser-ems-markt.de/joro/english.html
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
rhpeltz
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of rhpeltz
Am looking for the ORIGINAL Kaps Floating Cork and routine. Does anyone have one to sell? Thanks
Gary Dayton
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
542 Posts

Profile of Gary Dayton
Quote:
On 2005-11-26 17:58, rhpeltz wrote:
Am looking for the ORIGINAL Kaps Floating Cork and routine. Does anyone have one to sell? Thanks

Steven's has sold some of the Ken Brooke's line since Brooke passed. You can get the floating cork from Steven's. I don't know if it will meet your criterion of an "original," but at least it's an authorized version if it's not "original." You can call and ask:

http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=5757

This effect, and a lot of other great classics, is described in detail in the book, Ken Brooke's Magic Place. This was published by L&L and is now OOP, but you can find it on eBay and sometimes at H&R and other book dealers. The price runs $40-50. I paid a little higher than the going rate at an eBay auction, but was glad I did. This is an excellent book full of wonderful tricks, including many by Fred Kaps. It also reveals the character of Ken Brooke, who was an extraordinary man. Very much worth getting. It's one of my favorite texts of highly usable material.
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
Doug Henning did it on the one where he did the folding mirror and walk through mirror and where he vanished Bill Cosby from a wooden box on a huge track only to reappear inside a boulder that fell on and smashed the box.

I saw that show when I was about 7 years old and remember it like I saw it yesterday.

enjoy,
Dani
Gary Dayton
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
542 Posts

Profile of Gary Dayton
I really liked Doug Henning. I remember him on TV shows like Dick Cavett, and I also got to see him perform live once at the Shubert Theatre in New Haven. Like you, I'll never forget that show.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
You can get Fred Caps original method, handling, and gimmicks (I believe the same gimmicks Fred used) at Steven's magic. They claim it is the original everything, and the cork comes in what appears to be a beauitful hardwood box with nice hardwear. I have mine on the way at this time.

Thanks guys,

DJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fred Kaps Original Floating Cork :) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL