The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Your Thought's Needed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RandyM
View Profile
Special user
579 Posts

Profile of RandyM
Recently I purchased Phantom of the Wallet which is a real nice effect in itself, however, to go with the patter I use I began toying with having a second card chosen and having one found in the zippered wallet and the second finding it's way to my Kennedy's Mystery box. My question is.. Do you think this idea is overkill?
David Nelson
View Profile
Elite user
San Mateo, CA
404 Posts

Profile of David Nelson
A friend of mine does card to wallet to mystery box and kills with it. Although, come to think of it, he does it with the same card. First it goes into he wallet, then it goes into the box, the first effect builds up the second.

Having a second card selected and finding one in the wallet, then one in the box wouldn't necessarily be overkill. If done right ( that's the hard part Smile one effect builds up the next and the two different methods will cancel out the audience's suspicions making everything seem more impossible.

The real key is having a decent segue from wallet to box. Otherwise you end up with a climax that makes no sense. It sounds like your presentation takes care of that so you should be fine.

Good luck,

Dave
RandyM
View Profile
Special user
579 Posts

Profile of RandyM
43 Views on this post and only one response?
jcigam
View Profile
Special user
Bellevue, Nebraska
512 Posts

Profile of jcigam
Since I viewed it I thought I would drop a response. I think unless your patter can truly justify it, it is over-kill.

I can almost see the same card going from the wallet to the box . . . . almost.

Jered
"The mind has exactly the same power as the hand, not merely to grasp the world, but to change it."
RandyM
View Profile
Special user
579 Posts

Profile of RandyM
Not gonna use the same card from wallet to box. Two different cards , two different spectators.
Solomon
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Solomon
Randy M.,

I think "why would you"? It seems like if one were to do this they would be smashing two effects into one. As the proffesor (Dai Vernon) once said, "A magicians tricks are like an artists colors on a canvas. Don't overlap them, for they are beautiful individualy". I think that in a way, you make each effect less amazing if you put them together. Sometimes in magic it takes dicipline to be able to perform the effect, and just that! Good luck though!

Any further questions: themagicofsolomonabrams@gmail.com

Cheers!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27285 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Re: As the proffesor (Dai Vernon) once said, "A magicians tricks are like an artists colors on a canvas. Don't overlap them, for they are beautiful individualy".

I hope that was not something he ever said or even considered as true.

There are ever so many artists and art students who could tear that statement to shreds, and probably wonder if it was meant as a joke.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Actually, they are most beautiful and effective when they are mixed...but not too well. Not so much that you cannot still see the unmixed colors within the "mixture".

The colors really come alive with this technique.

I wonder if this relates.....
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
RandyM,
I really do think it is over kill. But, with that being said, if I was going to do this effect with a wallet and a Mystery box I would do it like this.

Have both cards chosen and signed then lost in the deck. With your empty hand reach and remove the wallet. Remove the card and show the first selection. Turn the card face down or toss it face down onto the table.

Ask the second person to name their card. Once they name their card, turn over the first card showing that it now has changed to their card. Make an off-handed comment about the first card being shy and then remove the first card from the box.

Now that may be over kill, but for me plays better.

As a note I do not like close up effects using any type of boxes. If you wanted to create the image of being a real magician why would you use wooden and metal boxes? A magician would just make the magic happen. He/she wouldn’t point toward an ODD looking little box sitting on the table. To me these screams hey look what I bought at the magic store yesterday.

Just do the magic!

Ray
RandyM
View Profile
Special user
579 Posts

Profile of RandyM
Actually this went over extremely well.

If familiar with Phantom of the wallet, spectator #1 selected a card and returned, I placed the two blank cards (from the the wallet) face to face and explained how these two cards may help later, I then had spec #2 select a card and it too lost in the deck. After some patter I opened the wallet and had a spectator remove the two "printing plates" which now read "Look in the Box" , this prompted spec # 2 to look inside and see a folded card this was dumped out and found to be her card.

I then handed the deck to Spec#1 and requested that they remove the card they selected earlier and place it on the table. When they couldn't locate it I pointed back at the wallet and directed thier attention to the zipper this was opened and thier card removed.

I was quite surprised by just how well this went over. All enjoyed it and I even got a gasp or two and a "NO WAY". At the end I was met with applause. I think that my concentration on patter and flow helped tremendously with this. I've finally learned after all this time to put the same amount of effort on patter and presentation as I do with slieghts and moves.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Your Thought's Needed (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL