The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Rabbits (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Matt Ferro
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
128 Posts

Profile of Matt Ferro
I am looking to add a rabbit to my show and I am new to live animals and so I don't know where to start. I have read posts that have said that there are different types of rabbits and all sorts of specifications for them. What kind would be the best for a beginner and what are some good effects that a bunny could be used in? thanks
Matt
Don't practice till you can do it right, Practice till you can't do it wrong...
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Matt,

Try to get a Netherland Dwarf bunny. They are available in different colors or the standard white. They are small and only weigh around 2 1/2 pounds fully grown. I would recommend going to a reputable rabbit breeder to purchase one. If you don't know what to look for you can get a mix breed dwarf that might turn out to be too large. This happened to me when I bought my first bunny. I have had great success with male bunnys. I only had one female and her temperment was not as good as the males I have owned.

Hope this helps.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Agree with Regan,

I have three dwarfs and the female bit me. She has a temperment. One of the males is larger than the other two dwarfs and it appears he is mixed a little. Still he's not big but bigger than the other two and an exchange from a smaller to bigger is noticable.

They require daily care, feeding and watering. Their cages stink because they have a high ammonia type order in their urine, so a good cat litter absorbant with deoderizer helps a lot, as well as changing it often.

Your picture appears that you're young. At that age I owned a flemish giant (Really big rabbit) and it was awe-inspiring to produce it in the show.
Dennis Michael
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
664 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
I like my Mini-Rex. Good temperament and very soft fur. Slightly larger than a dwarf, but he is still eating! Very calm for a rabbit and cute.

Please check out the house rabbit society for care and feeding requirements.
http://www.rabbit.org/
http://www.omrrc.com/

I have heard that Kitty litter and deodorant litter can cause lung problems since they tend to sit around in the box more than a cat.
I use a recycled newspaper product that will absorb odors and does not stink if it is changed weekly.
Cell-sorb Plus.

Get it fixed! Also helps with temperament and long term health. If you find one at a shelter the cost of spay/neuter is much less. I paid a local breeder $25 for a Broken Black color Mini-Rex. The $75 in vet fees. Not too bad since one vet wanted over $200. It is an investment in a pet that will be a good friend for many years if kept healthy. And a very strong extra to make your show special.

Produce it with a bunny box (balloon to bunny), doves to bunny cage, Ken Scott has a neat TV style production box, hat load, from newspaper, etc. many other ways.
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Matt,

Lucy and I use a 13 pound white rabbit. I don't advise it. Anything over about 3 pounds is too big. We got stuck with this rabbit too long (over 2 years) because her new owner never built her a suitable place to live.

My best rabbits have been the dwarfs. The second best were young rabbits promised to new owners in just a few weeks. Bigger is not better. It's just bigger.

I even prefer the lop earred type over the other. You will find that rabbits are much smarter than doves. They can be trained to do multiple things.

Enjoy your rabbit partner.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Matt Ferro
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
128 Posts

Profile of Matt Ferro
Thanks! I contacted a local breeder and she is selling a male white Netherland dwarf that weighs about 2.5 lbs for around $20. Thanks for the help.
Matt
Don't practice till you can do it right, Practice till you can't do it wrong...
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Congratulations Matt!

We look forward to hearing from you and seeing a new photo with the magic rabbit.

I'm sure you will give him a good home.

Enjoy!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11911 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Matt,

That is excellent! Mine is about 10 months old now and black. He weighs 2.68lbs. He is great and never once bit me. I would say males are better also and so did the breeder.
I would like to get a white one also but have to convince wife.

How old did she say your new bunny is?

C
Dakota Rose
View Profile
New user
Dakota Rose
100 Posts

Profile of Dakota Rose
Congratulations Matt on your new bunny. I am surprised to hear the guys say that the females bite. I have two female, blue-eyed Netherland Dwarfs and they are the sweetest bunnies. In the 3 years I've had them they have never bitten anyone. I let the kids pet them but I don't let anyone pick one up. (Just in case)

good luck,

Dakota Rose
Dream things that never were and say, "Why not."

Junior Editor Linking Ring - Youth Forum

www.dakotarosemagic.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
My Netherland dwarf doe never actually bit, but she was never as friendly or tame as any of my bucks. I talked with several different breeders and was told that bucks are usually easier to handle than does, so I have never tried another doe.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11911 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Regan,

Thats is what my breeder told me also and she showed me a few. One jumped at her and pawed but it had babies in the nest also.

I have a double hutch with one side which is separated. I just keep food and accessories in that side and my bunny on the other. Been thinking of adding another buck on other side but aside from not convincing wife, I'm just not sure how much time I'd have to train, excercise etc. Would love a super small white dwarf someday.

Candini

Posted: Oct 9, 2004 9:35am
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone ever seen the black felt hat used to produce rabbits made by Abbott called the "Rabbit Hat?"
It is in the current catalog.

Thanks
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Candini,

I have seen Abbott's Rabbit Hat advertised in their catalog and I have been curious too. I don't know anything about it really. The price is low for a top hat, much less a gimmicked one.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11911 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I didn't see the price Mister Mystery, how much is the Abbotts Rabbit Hat???
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
It is listed in Abbott's Catalogue Of Magic #25 for $50. Catalogue #26 is out now but I haven't seen it yet.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11911 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Thanks Regan. Yeah they charge $20 for the catalogs but you can find them on line for free.

$50...I wonder if it is worth it? I have tried body bags but my rabbit hates them. I have always wanted to produce him out of a hat and I would love to see a review on this.

Abbotts desciptions all look good with the old fashion black and white. I wish I could afford all of their props:)

Candini
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Me too.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11911 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I sent Abbotts an email asking for a little more information on the hat. I'll try to remember to come back to post what I find out.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Candini. I would appreciate some info. PM me if you want.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11911 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
PM coming at ya:)
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Got it Candini. Thanks.

Regan
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Rabbits (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL