The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Houdini Final Auction (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CFI
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of CFI
The Sid Radner Houdini collection featuring more than a 1000 items that once belonged to the Houdini family will be auctioned on Oct. 30 at the Liberace Museum in Las Vegas, Nevada. The auction being titled "The Great Houdini Auction" will feature THE Chinese Water Torture Cell, a Milk Can, straight jackets, trunks, props, handcuffs, leg irons, shackles, locks, keys, picks, letters, personal correspondence and documents, theater broadsides, posters, advertising, playbills, original photographs and much more. Also being auctioned are the items which Radner took back from the Houdini exhibit at the Outagamie Museum. The Capital Recovery Group will handle the auction.

Here is a shortcut to the auction:

Click Here!
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Looks like Mr Radner is or will never open up another Houdini Museum its a Shame. Don,
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Okay...this raises a question:

Did Radner have more than one version of the torture cell?

I thought the one he had on display at the Houdini Hall of Fame was destroyed in the fire that gutted the museum.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
This is a new one built by John Gaughn.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Okay.

And was the "Iron Maiden" referred to a latter-day construction of the "Spanish Maiden" described in "Houdini's Fabulous Magic"/"Houdini's Magic and Escapes" by Gibson, or is this a mislabeled Gibbet Cage (body shaped cage used to display the corpse of a hanged highwayman or pirate)?

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

I guess it would be a Gibbett cage. There are photos of Houdini on stage with one. If this is the same one, I don't know. As I have Houdini's casket, the cage would put me in the doghouse or worse.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
Kevin,
Do you know to what (if any) extent original components were used to re-build the Cell? With the high heat from the fire, I'm certain that all mahogany was gone as well as the brass. Glass would go, certainly, although Sid had one or two replacement panes. The steel frame for the glas and probably stocks had to twist...
I guess the question is, is ANYTHING on this item original or is this in essence a "functional" movie prop?
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5272 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The Houdini's Chinese Water Torture Cell was almost entirely destroyed in a fire at the Houdini Hall of Fame in Niagara Falls, Ontario, in 1996. Sid Radner, hired John Gaughan to rebuild the illusion using the original hardware. The metal work was still useable and has been used in the restoration.

Here is a link showing the restored Cell.

http://members.tripod.com/~Houdinez/hou17.html
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Dave,

My guess would be 10% original, if not much less. The best it could be is a replica with some parts.

Here's another. There may be two or more complete cells out there.

Kevin

Here's another. Somewhere along the line I heard terminology used for different percentages of things restored. Like antique cars, furniture, posters, etc. I don't what field there in, but they're out there. I would assume that those terms could work for the cell too.

Kevin
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Anyone know where or whom might have the extra cells
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

I think so. Smile
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Tommy Johnson
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Tommy Johnson
I would burn it as Houdini had wished before. You wonder though that why would Houdini want to burn all his stuff. And maybe it was to prevent stuff like this from happening.

Tommy Johnson
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Maybe because a lot of his secrets have turned up. and the truth is coming out.
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
On that "other" message board was info on this site-
http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/2003/12/11/upfront4.html
which seems to answer the Donster's question and explain Kevin's sly smiley!
The more that comes out, the bigger mess the Houdini auction seems to become.
The author of the January Genii article on the cell, Michael Edwards, indicates this references a non-functioning replica, "...designed as a unique piece of display furniture..." by and for John Gaughan.
Wonder how that all ended up?
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
MagicErik
View Profile
Loyal user
Sneek, Netherlands
284 Posts

Profile of MagicErik
Euhm, anyone with new info about this collection and the auction?
gr, evi
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Houdini Final Auction (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL