The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Headline predictions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
123majik123
View Profile
Regular user
nowhere
180 Posts

Profile of 123majik123
Hey guys,

I'm currently doing some research on newspaper headline predictions and want to study every single method I can possibly find.

Could you guys point me in the right in the right direction regarding books, etc.?

Cheers.
lawrencetreagus
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of lawrencetreagus
There's been a lot from German mentalists. I seem to remember one being good, and his wine glass bending seemed to do well to boot.

To be honest no one's going to give anything away for free, but I think Ted Lesley's material will be of some help.

Regards.
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
I found a copy of the Jack London Prediction Chest manuscript and the accompanying Notary Public Gambit manuscript a few years ago - Mickey Hades might have some left. I think Don Tanner put out a pamphlet containing many headline predictions as well.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3455 Posts

Profile of Looch
There is an envelope by Roger Curzon from Sheffield UK that is unbelievable for headline predictions.
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1353 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Quote:
On 2004-09-30 19:09, lawrencetreagus wrote:
Theres been a lot from German mentalists I seem to remember 1 being good, and his wine glass bending seemed to do well to boot.
to be honest no ones going to give anything away for free but I think Ted Lesley material will be of some help.

regards

Yes, indeed, a very subtle and bold headline prediction effect is described in Ted Lesley's lecture notes that can be bought through Ted Lesley and Hocus-Pocus.com.

It's a beautiful and strong method that doesn't require any gimmicks at all.
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
There is a great Headline Prediction in Mentalism In New Directions (M.I.N.D.), by Lee Earle.

Kind thoughts,
Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Juan D
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Juan D
Try the adaptation from Docc Hilford in his Band of Handbook If you Dare: it is the most scary Headline Prediction ever.

He's absolutely right when he explains that is the only effect that you won't be able to perform from his book.

Not because you cannot do it (it is extremely easy and workable), but because after performing it, people will never look at you the same . Hehehe
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3455 Posts

Profile of Looch
I'd love to do it but as of yet not. Maybe this Halloween? BWUAHA HA HA HA HA HAAAAA!!!
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
980 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
You'll find a practical method on my Pack Small, Play Big Mentalism DVD which allows you to mail the prediction far in advance of the show. Good luck with your search.
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
dondon
View Profile
New user
malev
1 Post

Profile of dondon
A very good mehod you have there Dan. Do you have something that you don't touch the props?

Don Juan
123majik123
View Profile
Regular user
nowhere
180 Posts

Profile of 123majik123
Dan, does that method allow you to predict the whole headline?

Oh, and you probably don't know him, but you look a bit like the English comedian Ricky Gervais! (David Brent)

Cheers all!
PaulEverson
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of PaulEverson
Kennedy, do you mean the one with the Polaroid in MIND? That really is cool.
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Quote:
On 2004-10-01 04:55, Vraagaard wrote:

Yes, indeed, a very subtle and bold headline prediction effect is described in Ted Lesley's lecture notes that can be bought through Ted Lesley and Hocus-Pocus.com.

It's a beautiful and strong method that doesn't require any gimmicks at all.

Just to warn you guys! Ted Lesley tells everyone who wants to listen that to do this, you need nerves of steel, to have real talent for presentation and misdirection and years and years of performing experience.

I got the lecture notes about six months ago and have been rehearsing and mental preparing for this ever since.

I use a Red Cross group as a practise- and testing audience, and did among other, this for them the other night. (Sooner or later I had to check it out, - right? Smile )

I did pretty well, I guess. However, I have to repeat and confirm Ted Lesley's warnings.
You DO need LOTS of performing experience and special talents to drive this home as it deserves.

You should also notice that this is not a routine you do all the time, but save for a very few, special occasions.

I really love this, and loved to try it out.
However, I am not certain about that I will do it again. I don't want to water it out or ruin it.

Sven
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1353 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
I think Sven is right here. Even though it looks bold and subtle in writing you will have to manage the dirty work when all the heat is on. It must require "grace under pressure" and thus a lot of acting experience and skills.

Sven, I'm happy to hear you managed it. Congratulations. I plan to try it out next summer when I'm on a three-day trip with my friends at a summerhouse. I will make the prediction on day one and reveal it on day three. And my nerves are jumping by the mere thought of doing it - it must be a killer and a reputation maker.
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
980 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Quote:
A very good method you have there Dan. Do you have something that you don't touch the props?

No. Do you? It's constructed to make it look like I only take the pieces away after the spectator has handled them. In my experience, no one (including the spectator on stage) remembers my involvement.

Quote:
Dan, does that method allow you to predict the whole headline?

Yes. You can be as exact as you like. You can also use the method to predict any upcoming event with an undetermined outcome (a sporting event, for example).

When I use this method, I don't tell the recipient what's in the package just in case the headline is a major tragedy (that's the real drawback to the headline prediction), so I can always go to the sports page or some other direction.

--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6624 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Dan's idea is simple yet effective. I can see this playing really big on a TV spot. It is one of the best ideas on his DVDs on Mentalism.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
psychic
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of psychic
I'll second that. Dan's Headline Prediction is a practical and brilliant one. I was fooled when I saw it. (Dam*!)
dusty
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of dusty
I suppose this will start a flurry of response, but here goes!

Just because we have a thousand ways to predict headlines, I don't believe we should. With such a demonstration you are by association claiming to predict the future. If this were really possible, why did you miss Sept 11, no WOMD in Iraq, the lottery numbers, etc.?

Reason, BECAUSE YOU CAN'T. When we perform magic, a suspension of disbelief allows the spectators to indulge in fantasy. In mentalism we create a feeling of "I wonder if he really did read their mind" or whatever.

IMO (and that is all it is) with a headline prediction no one will ever believe you knew the news in advance, so you break that emotional bond with the audience. Once you do that, everything else in your routine then comes under the microscope.

Headline predictions might work in a magic show context, but not in a mentalist's routine.
Regards,

Dusty

aka Max Gordon.
"Always give 100%, Unless you're a blood donor!"

Exclusive publications available from:

www.solutions.yolasite.com
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1353 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Quote:
On 2004-10-06 07:51, dusty wrote:
I suppose this will start a flurry of response, but here goes!

Just because we have a thousand ways to predict headlines, I don't believe we should. With such a demonstration you are by association claiming to predict the future. If this were really possible, why did you miss Sept 11, No WOMD in Iraq, the lottery numbers etc. Reason, BECAUSE YOU CAN'T. When we perform magic, a suspension of disbelief allows the spectators to indulge in fantasy. In mentalism we create a feeling of "I wonder if he really did read their mind" or whatever. IMO (and that is all it is) with a headline prediction no one will ever believe you new the news in advance, so you break that emotional bond with the audience. Once you do that, everything else in your routine then comes under the microscope.

Headline predictions might work in a magic show context, but it not in a mentalist's routine.

Interesting. I see your point. Although your point makes sense from a psychoanalysis point of view of the spectator's behaviour and ways of thinking (it might be the rational truth), it doesn't necessary have to be the reality between you and the spectator - simply because most of them know it's all trickery after all - so you are constantly under some kind of a microscope anyways.

In that context nothing is wrong with a headline prediction. I'm only guessing since I never performed a headline prediction, but it's the old discussion of "it's too impossible". I've learned from these forums that as along as you don't claim to posses these powers it is OK to entertain with "the impossible" approach. After all we are there to entertain and amaze. And personally, I don't mind being under the microscope; it only forces me to prepare my act even better.

Take a look at the following link to see which appraisals Ted Lesley got from his headline prediction in Nambia. To me it doesn't seem like he "broke" any intimate bond or relationships with the spectators or the viewer's (I might be wrong, though). It actually seems like he was simply gaining even more popularity. Maybe it's because his way of performing suggests trickery in the first place (magic acts and mental magic included) that he gets away with it - just as you write - it belongs great in magic.

My guess would be that a headline prediction belongs great with anyone who does NOT claim to posses these mental powers in the first place.

http://www.wonderworkshop.de/namibia/
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
David Berglas has one of the most amazing Newspaper predictions. What's nice is that you don't predict the headlines but a word chosen at random. It is in his book. Really understand just how powerful it is, and try and see it from his series.

I had absolutely no idea until I read it in his book. Let's put it this way. It requires confidence, skill and management that few of us have.

A beautifully constructed piece of astonishment that is impossible for a lay person (and me) to reconstruct.

Banachek has a very simple but extremely effective method on his Radio Magic audio tapes. Larry Becker has a multi prediction including The Headlines of a newspaper on his A1 Tapes.

I have a limited edition one coming out in the near future which I have used to great success. There are so many methods but I believe it is the presentation that will make it a miracle.

Yet to see Mr Harlan's, but I like his thinking so time to get the wallet out... again....

Marc
It's not goodbye, just see you later...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Headline predictions (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL