The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Water Torture Cell (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Red Von
View Profile
Loyal user
Branson, MO
251 Posts

Profile of Red Von
How many different versions of the Water Torture Cell are there? Is the method of escape pretty much the same with all?

Red Von
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
SHHHHHHHHHHH IT's a Secret.
magicreza
View Profile
Regular user
USA
126 Posts

Profile of magicreza
There are many versions of the illusion out there...and several methods.
The most effective, in my opinion are the original twists that take the concept a few steps further.
Lance Burton's is a good example of this.

Reza
Red Von
View Profile
Loyal user
Branson, MO
251 Posts

Profile of Red Von
Thanks Reza!

So the Water Torture Cell is an illusion, not a real escape? Just different magicians putting there own twist on this?

Red Von
magicreza
View Profile
Regular user
USA
126 Posts

Profile of magicreza
It's an escape...but there's methods behind the madness.

Reza
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
My wife Kristen Johnson does the Water Torture Cell completely uncovered. It is visible the entire time. It was the finale for our show for most of 2003. She also performed it on the 2003 Lollapalooza Tour.
It is on hold now due to a recent back injury she suffered in a car accident. She is aslo working another presentation of it when she is ready to put it back into the show.

Kevin & Kristen
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
When Mr. Escape Steve Baker did the escape on Dick Clark's Live Wednesday, his version included a loop of chain that ran along the sides and bottom of the inside of the cell, and which padlocked at both ends outside the cell. He was manacled, and the shackles locked to the center of the chain. As he was lowered in, the chain slack was taken up and the chains locked into place, so that his shackled hands were secured to the bottom of the tank. Very cool idea.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5369 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
There are probably as many different versions and methodologies of the so-called Water Torture Cell as there are performers using them.

Off the top of my head I have seen the Cell used by Harry Houdini. It is a very small chamber and the performer goes into it head first held in a stock around his ankles. The escape is executed from behind a curtain.

There is the version that Lance Burton used which is larger than the Houdini cell but still apparently cramped for space. Lance goes in upright confined in a straightjacket. The escape is executed from behind a curtain.

There are versions that are built more like trunks (long and low) where the performer is chained and tossed inside. Most escapes are done from behind a curtain, but I do know of one that was done full view.

Kevin and Kristin use an upright version where Kristin is chained to the floor of the cell and must escape the chains and manacles before she drowns. As Kevin has already mentioned, this is a dramatic full view escape.

I could go on for about a dozen or so more types and methods of escape but you get the idea.

The effect is similar but the methodology is often very, very different. Some are full view escapes but most are not.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Cindi
View Profile
Loyal user
Palm Bch, FL
285 Posts

Profile of Cindi
I prefer the Atlantic Ocean. It has untamed / Non hand fed sinister looking creatures. One big adrenaline tank

Have fun,
C
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
1832 Posts

Very cool Cindi, especially during a hurricane. You missed some good opportunities to escape the "eye"...LOL

Kevin & Kristen
Living Illusions

Kevin Ridgeway &

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Cindi
View Profile
Loyal user
Palm Bch, FL
285 Posts

Profile of Cindi
Hi Kevin
Yes Palm Beach got hit pretty good by Hurricane Jeanne but not as bad as the Panhandle with Ivan. Insurance man was by yesterday with some Pics he took while there. I wish I could express his expression here. Entire neighborhoods wiped out. He said it was like being in the Twilight zone walking thru house after house with walls blown out and complete silence, childrens clothes hanging in trees, very eerie.
I did get the chance to shim some Hiatts outside during Hurricane Fances.(photo on my webpage) But no access to the Beaches. Police close bridges. Surfers were being arrested by riding their boards across intercoastal waterway to sneak over to beach. Silly Duuuudes! Smile
Get well wishes to Kristen...

Kawabunga
C
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
1832 Posts

Thanks Cindi....Glad to hear you fared well during the storms.

Stay safe down there.

K&K
Living Illusions

Kevin Ridgeway &

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
Cindi,

I know for one our 6 year old daughter Shaina was very concerned about "the strong lady" in the midst of all the recent storms, (as were Vera and myself).

She seems to have really taken to you while you here for your visit and was genuinely worried about your well being Smile

Despite the sad devestation and how it affected many poor souls we were and still are all very happy to hear you made it through everything unscathed.

Cheers, Steve and family.

BTW,

I simply did not have the heart to tell her you tempted fate to venture outside and risk much by doing a cuff escape in the middle of the tempest.

She simply would not have understood.

For that matter neither do Vera or I ,... LOL!

Steve
WEASEL DANDAW
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of WEASEL DANDAW
Way to go Cindi,

Glad all went well with the Hurricane Hiatt Escape. That's what I call testing your limits. After seeing your photo I was thinking that is what you call dedication. No one can say otherwise.....although I'm sure some will.

Here's to the Hurricane Queen of Escapology.

Stay Free,

Weasel
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Cindi, I'm so glad that everything worked out down there for you, and please watch out for those sharks!

I would also like to say that Kristen Johnson's full view WTC escape is one of my favorite escapes in recent years. I was saddened to hear of her recent auto accident and wish her well and a speedy recovery.
Kevin and Kristen are two of the nicest and most giving people I've met botn in and out of escapes and magic and I will keep them in my prayers.
Best regards, Tony Parisi
Red Von
View Profile
Loyal user
Branson, MO
251 Posts

Profile of Red Von
I have seen Steve Bakers version of the Water Torture Cell Escape, very cool indeed. I believe he had a challenge to anyone who could duplicate his escape the same way he did. I could be wrong, but I believe it was for $100,000.00? No one to this day has ever duplicated his escape.

Red Von
Paul Reardon
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, Georgia
52 Posts

Profile of Paul Reardon
Does anyone know if the Tony Curtis Water Torture Cell (as seen in the movie), was an actual piece of magic apparatus? Paul
Red Von
View Profile
Loyal user
Branson, MO
251 Posts

Profile of Red Von
I believe the Tony Curtis Cell used in the movie, was in fact, the real thing. I heard it was loaned by Dunninger, who was a consultant if I am not mistakin.

RED VON
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
Doug Henning did the water torture, as did Brett Daniels who originally bought Doug's. Robert Fellows also presented the water torture. And there was the guy at FISM a few years ago who's water torture cell burst open during the performance and water went all over the audience.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
LOL Water all over the Audience Yikes. Must of been one heck of a Mess to clean up. Don,
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Water Torture Cell (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL