The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Water Torture Cell (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
Burling Hull wrote that the tank in the movie Houdini was made for the movie. The size alone would have kept it out of most performers.

It is important to note that while many people have "done" the UDC, not many have done it well.

Henning made the classic error of vanishing. If you can get out of there with no one seeing you, then people can get in with no one seeing them. This BTW was Jarrett's answer to all escapes of this nature. Make the prop "real" and hide the assistant that lets you out.

Not good if your assistant wants to take over the show....

The FISM was NOT a UDC but a card trick to be done underwater that was home made with expected results.

Finally, and this is being debated elsewhere, but IMHO full view is NOT the way to go. The escape artist could be seen to be in trouble, and end the escape with no danger at all.

Those will long memories will remember the Mark Wilson addition in the TV show the Magician to Andre Koles Table of Death, A GAG!

The spoken line of "This gag will prevent my crying out should I be unable to release my self" gives chills...

...it is that entertainment thing again.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
The Escape Artist/Magician should have a Safety Signal to just in Case of Danger at any time. Don,
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
AJP807...
Tony thanks for the kind words. We are in New jersey for several shows. How far are you from Long Island Beach? Hopefully we can catch up.

Kevin & Kristen
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Cindi
View Profile
Loyal user
Palm Bch, FL
285 Posts

Profile of Cindi
Steve , Tony and Weas....
Thanks for your thoughts!
"She seems to have really taken to you while you here for your visit..."
Was that when I impressed her with the Full Nelson and Pretzel hold on "Cry'in Ryan" Madden during the conference? (just kidding)
"genuinely worried about your well being..."
Awwwwwww Smile Hug to Shaina. and She's a bit of a Pistol herself! Look out Canada! lol

Hey Weasel,
I just want to mention to everyone the tenacity you must have had also by jumping off the Bournemouth Pier
in your strait jacket recently after my attempt. Geeeeeezzzz that water is cold over there! Brrrrrrr I'll bet you worked fast too just to get out of the temperature!
Be well,
C
WEASEL DANDAW
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of WEASEL DANDAW
To be quite honest the cold was the last thing on my mind when I hit the water as there was a strong under current, but once I had liberated myself.......boy was it cold.

I would also like to say thank you to you Cindini as it was your SJ escape that inspired me. I had wanted to do a chain escape off of the Pier for some time, but due to my fire eating accident in 2000 when I damaged my right lung, I didn't know if I could. After seeing your escape in the shark infested waters of Florida - and believe me I checked on the web and there had been a few attacks just before your attempt - I thought if Cindini could do that what problems could I have with a few mackerel. lol.
So with that I went for it, after taking all the safety precautions obviously. I would also like to say a thank you to the lifeguards who told me to wait until after they had gone off duty. Ha, Ha!

Sorry that this is off the thread of this posting, but I just wanted to respond to the post previously.
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
Quote:
On 2004-10-02 08:37, The Donster wrote:
The Escape Artist/Magician should have a Safety Signal to just in Case of Danger at any time. Don,

Of course....

...but the audience should not be aware of it.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Well, let's see...

The Torture cell in the 1953 movie "Houdini" was nothing like the actual cell, which was in the Sidney H. Radner collection, and later displayed in the Houdini Historical Hall of Fame Museum. Houdini's cell was destroyed in the fire that razed the museum.

The "Pagoda Torture Cell" in the movie was a prop apparently constructed expressly for the film, and had a noticeably different shape. Plus the sides were all glass, as opposed to the style of the Houdini cell, which had glass only in the front panel.

I remember Dick Clark announcing the cash challenge for duplicating Steve Baker's presentation of the Torture Cell on Dick Clark's Live Wednesday. I also recall later reading in the newspapers that the offer was allegedly a faux pas on Clark's part that Baker had not authorized.
Rival Chris Schalen allegedly attempted to arrange to try for the challenge money, but was reportedly rebuffed by NBC on the grounds that the offer was a 'slip' by Dick Clark that had nothing to do with any offer by Steve Baker.
The article further claimed that Schalen filed a lawsuit against NBC, Clark and Baker, suing for the right to attempt the escape and try for the announced cash prize.
I never read what became of this. It is probable that the courts threw it out, though this is only speculation.
In any case, Chris Schalen seems to have disappeared. Does anyone know what became of him?

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
There is rumor (honestly, I'm not kidding, nor will I name the source as he has never been a member of any board) that Schalen crossed the mob and is doing "buried alive" for eternity out in the desert.

I know it sound farcical but that is the last I heard and the person telling it is VERY reliable.

Shawn
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Red Von
View Profile
Loyal user
Branson, MO
251 Posts

Profile of Red Von
I hope the source was not Dan Rather! LOL!

Red Von
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Smile
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Who Knows maybe Chris Schalen is Attempting to get out or Beat David Blaines Record. Don,
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Ron Obvious lives! (?)

Steve
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Theres also a few People who have done the water torture Cell. can anyone here name them all.
GMcollect
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of GMcollect
Does anybody know what ever happened to Doug Henning's Water Torture Cell? I read in the postings that Bret Daniels owned it at one time.
Richard Sherry
View Profile
Veteran user
Calgary, AB, Canada
313 Posts

Profile of Richard Sherry
I was told by Mark Cannon that DEAN GUNNERSON now owns it.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

One magician who performed it in the 1940s was Al Marks. His cell was made with all-steel sides (no glass). In the photo I saw of it, the front seems to have a rectangular weld line. I suspect Al had tried to install a glass window, but that it didn't work out, and that he had a plate of steel welded back into the opening to make it a completely-opaque steel tank.

Steve
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Sounds like a new idea. escape from a steel water tank.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Don, Back in the 1920's Val Walker from England did an escape from a naval tool chest. It was approx 4 feet tall and 2 foot square, fully riveted construction and had a hinged lid and hasp and staple. His first performance was for one naval mate.
Val stripped off and was locked into the chest which was full of water. His ship mate truned his back and minutes later Val appeared and the chest was as is was left.

Val went on to do a variation of this which was locked down by bolts only ( from the outside) and wittness by Badden Powell (spelling?) who started the scouting movement.

So this ones been done also.

cheers

Ian
Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
Hi,Steve Baker here,I thought I might jump in here since my WTC and presentation
have been mentioned!
My cell was 7'6", from the bottom to the top,with the foot stocks in place!
When hung in cell,my hands coulden't touch the bottom... a chain went from out-
side(left)of cell,down through a steel O-ring at the bottom,up to be attached to
The shackles around my wrists(seald locks)... as I was lowered,the chain was drawn
out,and locked on the outside! I was locked to bottom and my feet locked in the
stocks at the top!
The cell was 30 inches square!
I never presented the WTC the same twice,.....EVER

My challenge was $10,000.00 to any one who could escape MY CELL as I performed
it!

Dick Clark mis-spoke the challenge....Shalen jumped on it,wanting to use his own
cell! It was explained to him, it must be my cell<...NoHis !!
I offered: If you can escape the foot stocks of my cell... no hanging,no water...
just the stocks,He got the$10,000.00....NOOOOOO ,HIS....Thrown out of court!!

The holes in my stock are made for my size 6&1/2 feet... Shalen had size 10s

The short of it!!!

Steve Baker........ Any Questions???
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Wow 6 1/2 feet. I'm out. 8 1/2.
LOL. Are we aloud to breal bones in our feet? I would probably do that for
$10 000-00. That is worth a lot more here.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Water Torture Cell (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL