The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » 51 Faces North (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
I finally started reading my Penumbra Magazine. This card problem is addressed in issue 1. The story behind this incredible effect is just as facinating as the effect itself. How many of you have worked out your own variations of this effect?

Chad
gilbreath76
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of gilbreath76
Can you describe the effect?
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
It is essentially the "Open Prediction" - - -with conditions.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I have a version called "51 Southern faces" in my upcoming book, You'll Be Pleasantly Surprised.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
I have performed this so many times since I received Issue One of Penumbra. In the right situation, its an absolute killer. It is perhaps the best structured routine that has been published for a long time.

I started playing around with finding a nice phase than Phase One, but then realised that it was a lot stronger than I had first expected. I don't want to weaken the effect by changing it too much.

I believe that the guys will be publishing variations in forthcoming issues of Penumbra.

One more minor point - perform this over the phone after you've tried it a couple of times. That way you'll have great practice giving out instructions whilst performing the routine. You need to be really clear and precise and trying it on the phone is the best way I can think of to practice it.

--Andi
Gary Alford
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Gary Alford
The James File contains a whole chapter on this effect (or the description of the effect to be more precise). It then follows with many peoples ideas of how it could be done. None match the conditions set by James but some come close.
It was always thought that Slaight would get James to reveal the trick for the book but he apparently 'clammed up' whenever it was mentioned and became very grumpy!
I haven't got Penumbra yet but I get the impression that the actual method for 51 Faces North is a disappointment and James himself did not reveal it during his lifetime due to it being a weak trick (I gather this from Close's review in Magic).

For anyone who has read it:

Is it performable?
Does it live up to its legendary status?
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
Its very performable. But to be honest, could any effect live up to 40 years of hype? I don't believe it could.

I'm amazed by the structure of the routine - it is totally brilliant!

--Andi
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
great effect!!
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1357 Posts

Profile of bekralik
>The James File contains a whole chapter on
>this effect (or the description of the
>effect to be more precise). It then follows
>with many peoples ideas of how it could be
>done. None match the conditions set by
>James but some come close.
>It was always thought that Slaight would
>get James to reveal the trick for the book
>but he apparently 'clammed up' whenever it
>was mentioned and became very grumpy!

Yeah, that's hilarious. I just bought the James File books and was anxiously looking forward to seeing his methods. I can't believe it never officially got in there. They should print a revised copy of the books!

Is there some mention of the effect in the First Fifty Years?

Brian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » 51 Faces North (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL