The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Manageable Gaffs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I don't use Gaffs when I perform. I always considered it just one more thing to have to manage so I've stopped using them.

If you do use them, What is your favorite and how do you clean up after your mess?

I feel so comfortable with just a plain old deck in my hands. Someone convince me that there's something to add to my repitoire.

I've tried several...
NFW
Strangers Galery
MacDonalds Aces
Close's Clones
8 Card Brainwave
Red Hot Mamma
Invisible Deck
But they all still end up in "The Proverbial Drawer"

and I've seen even more...
Twisted Sister
3 Card Monte
... No Thanks!

Ah... Except one... The Anniversary Waltz.
That I am prepared for.

I'm considering resurrecting
8 card brainwave
and/or Red Hot Mama
I love those.

Maybe I just need practice bringing them in and out. Does anyone feel strongly about their gaffed effect? That they can't live without it?

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
If your Elmsly count is passable, keep the NFW, as it can remain resident in the deck. The invisable is a great out for mistakes as well. The rest are junk drawer material.

Maby the monte, but not gaffs, put in the time for the real thing. When you can do it, right with regular cards, you have the makings for a short "do as I do" that can get rather funny. Smile
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
DaveM
View Profile
Special user
Germany
788 Posts

Profile of DaveM
There is just something "suspicious" about bringing out the little wallet with three/four cards. Most people I perform for will KNOW something is "special" about the cards. Like mentioned above, NFW can be mixed into a normal deck. That was how I was first fooled by it in Spain. Invisible Deck has stood the test of time in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, there are some really good ones out there like NFW and Skinner's Ultimate Monte. But I, like you Frank, have retired many a packet trick to the drawer.

But in the end who should the audience congratulate, the performer or the gaffs?

I get so much more personal satisfaction performing my gambling routines using a normal deck.
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Frank,
Red Hot Mama or Chicago Opener should cause no management problem, because you put the stranger card openly away after the trick is over.

For MacDonald's Aces there are some good methods available to ring in the gaffs. This particular trick is one of my closers or an encore, so I don't have to ditch the gaffs afterwards. It's very difficult to find a no gaff method for this effect that is equally strong and relatively easy to do.

You can solve most gaff problems with palming and deck switching techniques.

Generally speaking, I would say, that you have to decide, whether the effect justifies the effort. In my opinion something as strong as the Ultra Mental Deck/Invisible Deck is worth it.

-Uli
Kard16
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of Kard16
Quote:
On 2002-08-21 00:47, fstarsinic wrote:
I'm considering resurrecting
8 card brainwave
and/or Red Hot Mama
I love those.

I love the Chicago Opener, it is infact my opener. Great responce, keep it in (you end clean on that), as for 8th card brainwave, You dont end clean but you usually don't get caught either so I sugesst you should also keep it in your routine
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
I do use a double faced card to accomplish a few effects.

so when I'm done with it I can just put the double back in the deck and switch out decks, or I will just palm the card out depending on my situation.

I just don't really like doing a string of effects where they all have some kind of gimmick in them. That would pose a management problem in my opinion.
PatUmphrey
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of PatUmphrey
I think it all depends on what method you are using for 8 card brainwave. It is a nice effect, but depending on how you end, it can scream "Hey, let me see those cards".

If I were to do the routine, I would do two phases, but without the block changing colors. It isn't as visual, but it is much more believeable and less "gimmicky".

Regarding chicago opener, I think it is a great routine and you don't have to worry about the odd colored card, as you just put it away openly when you are done.

Regarding using other gimmicks, I agree with Uli in that you just need to decide whether or not the effect justifies the "work". (Switching in and out, pocket management, etc).
“And you’ve got a perfectly logical reason for showing the cards like this” -Harry Lorayne

“Paging Mr. Herman” –Rafael Benetar
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
"Anniversary Waltz" allows you to give the gaff away as a "magically-fused gift" which gets it out of play nicely.

My Invisible Deck routine is structured so that the deck is back in the box BEFORE the card's revelation.

I do "Chicago Opener" coupled with a signed torn & restored routine which gets rid of (half of) the gaff by having it torn to pieces and those ditched during the routine.

I do Chad Long's "Now Look Here" which uses two specially-printed message cards on top of the deck. If I'm not doing that routine, the cards are removed in such a way that leaves the top two still in the box.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Stuff to consider:

Introduce 8 Card Brainwave as an experiment, not as a trick.
I believe Ammar briefly discusses the psychology behind this in one of his ETM tapes.
The basic idea is this: with the possibility of failure introduced, the end result becomes much stronger because of it.
The concept of "experiment" rather than "trick" means that the challenge element is significantly reduced.

I carry 8 Card around in my wallet -- the only way to carry it, in my opinion.
I use a presentation that really plays up on the possibility of failure by introducing it as something a college professor of psychology tried on me once.
"When it worked on me I couln't believe it. Would you mind seeing if it works on you? This could be interesting."
The audience really seem to enjoy it.

Like all others here I would certainly keep Red Hot Mama.
If you don't want to use it as your opener, consider controlling the card you need to the bottom of the deck and copping the odd-backed card from a pocket as you patter.

Geoff's idea on the invis. deck is superb.
If the deck bothers you, get it out of the way before the card is revealed.
Ortiz's "Do as I did" (a fantastic effect using a Si Stebbins stack and an invis. deck) utilises the same idea.

That's all for now

Stephen
:coolspot:
Hello.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Manageable Gaffs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL