The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » A challenge for you all! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Imagine this...

You have to walk on stage with no props visible, no box of tricks and no table. You then have to entertain a group of adults for 20 minutes.

What would you do?

Me?

Open with finding a lemon in my shoe ala Mac King / Bill Malone.

Have two cards choosen...fail to find.

Borrow and burn $50 using flash paper. Fail to reappear.

Perform wine bottle from balloon as a random breath test of audience members.

Go into a comedy rope routine. Perhaps a do as I do routine with no cut scissors.

Find bill in lemon that audience member is holding

Perform Henry Evans card to tie to find two cards.
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
20 mins of stand up

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Smile Smile Smile

Very funny!
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
I want to stay striktly on topic, but can't surpress the following before getting serious.. Smile

Paulas remark is actually more funny then you think, when you have a dirty mind and some imagination..but who has..? Smile
(My hope is Paula doesn't understand my remark, but what..she's a grown up girly Smile )

To get back on topic, well, all it takes is an entertainer doing one single trick to pass 20 minutes..

Now, I am NOT one of them, but there are ppl out there who could do it..ppl like f.ex. Gazzo or Bob Read.
If he had done magic, Victor Borge would spring to mind too!

He/they could entertain an audience by byplay, chatter, lines and stuff and just do one single trick..

I can't, so the trick is to work out of ones pockets, as you already were into..

This would most certainly mean for me, George Sands Ropesational with the Ramsay kickerfinish, where the small *knot(s)* becomes a reusable long rope..

I also would do the vanishing hanky or the color changing one (which is currently NOT in my program), but one has to see Pat Page and a couple of others to see what one can get out of it..

There are a lot of other opions, to numerous to mention, but here is one that most ppl when talking about not carrying props might overlook..

The Linking Rings!!!

Yes, you did read correct, the linking rings without coming out having them in you hand or on the table-which in this case isn't used.

Explanation?
I once saw Jay Marshall doing the rings and as this was on a public TV-show, no reason not to tell you that he did..

He simply had the rings hooked up behind and under his jacket on his backside.

Reaching behind under his coat, he brought them into view..

So THIS is an option I think a lot of ppl never thought off, me neither, If I hadn't seen it so well done..
Apart from this Jay Marshal had great lines..
So...there are possibilities..
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
suspectacts
View Profile
Elite user
Boston
493 Posts

Profile of suspectacts
Werner -
Excellent point about the rings!

I would do my thimble routine (silent with the music from 2001) and then I would reach under my jacket and take out my Metamorphosis (which I had casually hooked to my belt before the show.)

Then my assistant, who is a part time contortionist AND proctologist makes her thrilling appearance.

Talk about a 'voila' moment. S # ! t, the show practically writes itself!

BTW add Nick Nickolis, of New Zealand, to your list of individuals who can hold the stage for 20 minutes with a mike and a deck of cards. I have seen him do it several times (sometimes he's even sober when he does it).

I'm with Paula, 20 minutes of stand up.

peter gross
http://www.funnymagic.com

P.S. Sorry for the sarcasm, but this is supposed to be the comedy area of the board. Besides Paula's answer is just what most of us need to hear.

Here in the U.S. magic is undervalued to the point where it is not ever recognized as an option for entertainment for adults. Stand up, on the other hand, is fully entrenched, and is only becoming more visible because of shows like Last Comic Standing. So if you want to work for adults, follow Paula's advice and get busy writing your first set. Really learning the skills of comedy writing will only supercharge your ability to improve your magic/comedy shows. It's why people like Jay Marshall are so revered; they were accomplished comedians who did tricks, not accomplished magician who were funny.

Sorry for the rant.

p g
booker
View Profile
New user
earth
30 Posts

Profile of booker
No apologies necessary PG. You are right on the money. In my comedy act I am trying to get a 3 to 1 ratio of comedy to magic. Jokes make the set flow and make the magic more memorable. The thing I've run into is that the effects I perform come off more as gags than illusions. Not a big problem except that I feel like I come off like a prop comic more than a magician sometimes. But as long as I get laughs that is all that matters. Do you agree?
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Hi

Comedy can get you out of some terrible situations on stage, when props fail or when sound systems go down.

Learn to project your voice as one day you will need it.

I do a 1/4 of my set as stand up - it's nice to just step back after a effect and talk to the audience, and hecklers - I love them.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
For the record....I have worked as a professional stand up comedian for several years and have won awards for my stand up. But since this is a MAGIC forum, I assumed that it could be taken for granted that I was interested in a 20 minute MAGIC show.

If not then why not 20 min dance or a 20 min puppet show or a 20 whatever!

These days, like Paula, about 1/4 of my act is stand up and dialogue with the crowd.

I've just always liked the idea of doing a 'walk on' comedy show where it starts like a stand up show and more and more props keep coming out. I am reminded of a magician who performed a ten minute piece with music which involved producing cards, bottles, cocktails, card castles and more with no props, no table and no JACKET!
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
For me, things like the Flight of the Paper Balls, T&R napkin, with sucker explanation and a mouth coil or paper hat tear would do nicely. Add a routine I do with 2 bills and a purse and Fl!pstick into a ring on wand and you have your 20 minutes - and it all fits inside the suit - no problem.

If one is lucky enough to have The Lean - that would play well, as would using it in a cards across routine... hmm, that's something I'll have to explore...!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20496 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Take eight feet of rope out of a locked brass bill tube and the shears from my coat pocket and "mess with them". Then vanish the brass tube.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
bubbleburst2004
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of bubbleburst2004
Cold reading
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » A challenge for you all! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL