The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Morgan Strebler "Liquid Metal" (Review) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5852 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Intersting contradiction you put forth.

On one hand you say it is the magician who makes the trick but on the other you dismiss PK Silverware from seeing one person's performance, by your guess. You have not even seen PK Silverware so you have no basis on which to compare it, and you are not even sure if what you saw on TV was from PK Silverware.

I am not in the least surprised that a lay person comparing magic seen on TV to magic seen live thinks live is so much better. That has no bearing on whether it really is better because you have based the opinions on two diversely different mediums and situations when it comes to magical performance. Your test data is grossly skewed.

Furthermore, you have no idea if PK Silverware would kill even more in your hands. I find these blind statements you make expose the lack of knowlege which is exactly what this DVD prays on.

That you think shoving a fork up to someone's face fun speaks volumes.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4164 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Actually my fiancee watched Banachek after watching Morgan perform Liquid Metal on the dvd. So the medium was the same. And if you'll read my earlier posts, you will see that I admit that I have not seen Banachek's videos and that this is my first venture into the world of metal bending. So my "blind" statements as you call them were already qualified in advance. I have never based my view on a comparison with Banachek's material so your attacks are unfounded.

All I have said from the beginning is that I bought the dvd, learned the routine and have performed it to high praise ever since. All I can say is that sucess speaks for itself and I don't nee your approval or anyone else's. After 20 years of performing professionally, in all honesty, I couldn't care less what other people think. I was simply giving my opinion on a product that was asked about. If you like Banachek better, super. You can perform his material all you want and unlike a lot of people on this board, I won't attack you for giving your opinion.

And for the record, I do not jam a fork in someone's face. I have modified the handling to my liking and don't come within 3 feet of anyone's face.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5852 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I am relieved to hear that you have removed the shoving the fork up to someone's face approach taught on this DVD. That said, you wrote:

Quote:
in all honesty, I couldn't care less what other people think.

Why then are you so vigorously arguing your take on this DVD and why can't you let other opinions be presented in peace?

You presented an opinion...
Alex presented a vastly different opinion...
You made two posts to oppose (some might say attack)Alex's opinion and make the assertion he might be jaded...
I presented an opinion also vastly different from yours...
You posted in an attempt to refute my opinion...

These are not the actions of one who does not care about "what other people think".

Please help me understand. You claim your fiancee watched Morgan on the DVD but her statement was "that was nowhere near as good as your fork trick." This leads me to believe that her response was in relation to having seen you perform "your fork trick", as I had stated. Please clarify, is your statement incorrect or is your test data grossly skewed?

If you conceed that you are completely inexperienced in metal bending other than Liquid Metal, why are you so disturbed when someone else restates that fact? Your first "highest recommendation" post had no total novice to metal bending qualifcation. You follow that by joining the attack on Alex for expressing his opinion, in which you again fail to let us know you have no other experience with metal bending. You post again to hastle Alex, though he has not responded to you, and for the first time you state that the prior knowledge you have is "absolutely zero about metal bending". Yet when someone says Liquid Metal is not as good as something else, you attempt to refute that, eventhough you admit you have never seen the compared product.

Still having zero other knowledge of metal bending you go on to accuse others of being jaded for pointing out that there are far better sources for learning metal bending. Again, you have "zero" upon which to base that, having never seen nor used any other metal bending product. You know enough to not make a comparison with other metal bending products but you don't know that you have no basis on which to refute a comparison made nor make assumptions of being "jaded" when someone else shares their knowledge of the field of other products available.

So your "review" is rather baseless, except for the fact that this is one of the strongest things you perform, for which I will take you at word. If anyone performs the same things you do, they should get this as it is better. Though I will remind them that there are other products out there which are much better at teaching the basics as well as the all important psychology than Liquid Metal is.

Which is a great segue into providing some more "on topic" info about why I think Liquid Metal falls short and is a step backward in the world of metal bending.

There is one point where Morgan blows on the spectator's finger and then grabs hold of the finger and uses it to lightly stroke the fork and cause it to bend at a point hidden inbetween his fingers. When compared to this "The performer holds a fork in his open palm, has the spectator put a finger on the fork and begin rubbing it, at which point the fork visibly begins to bend while the spectator is stroking it." it seems clear to me. It is your decision which you think is more effective, the open handling where the spectator is openly touching the spoon themselves, or the handling where the performer has a hold of the spectator's finger and is forcing the action.

Like so many cases it pays to know the background knowledge of the "reviewer" before you put too much weight behind their words.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4164 Posts

Profile of emyers99
First off, I did not attack Alex. I simply said I did not understand why he felt Liquid was "garbage" because he didn't qualify it. Regarding my "highest recommendation" I never said I was comparing Liquid to any other metal bending routine. I simply compared it to other effects I have purchased in general. Third, I never said that Liquid is the best metal bending trick out there or that others should not seek out other methods etc. I simply said that if you pick it up and use it, you will get great reactions. We will just have to disagree on this topic. I still feel that Liquid is a great routine. You obviously do not. Enough said.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5852 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
I did not attack Alex.

Quote:
to call this garbage is so completely wrong.

I agree Al

Quote:
I think this is again a case of being a jaded magician.

I guess we can agree that I think telling someone their opinion is "completely wrong" (something you seconded) and calling them jaded is an attack; and you, I guess, do not.

Perhaps being around those lawyers has made you jaded about the abrasive language which you use.

I am still waiting for the answers to my above questions so I may better understand you.

Quote:
I simply compared it to other effects I have purchased in general.

I noted that in my previous post. Except you went to try and deny the offered better option in the following:

Quote:
I have seen Banachek perform on tv and in all honesty, my first reaction was "so what." I wasn't impressed with his metal bending at all. More telling, my fiancee who loves magic felt the same way. I asked her to watch the performance and give me her thoughts. She watched in silence and concluded by saying "that was nowhere near as good as your fork trick."

At best this could be considered a dismisal of the product but not an informed opinion on it, since as you admit you have never seen the product you are indirectly dismissing.

You seem to be of the opinion that you are simply stating an opinion but the reality of what you have done is not that at all.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4164 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I'm sorry your majesty. I will never post an opinion on metal bending again. All hail king Cutts.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5852 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
A'hem, that's "King Cutts". Smile
magic fett
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of magic fett
You know you can bend metal with a blowtorch but I wouldn't call that magic either.

What would you recommend as a good begginer metal bending dvd Mr. Cutts? You seem to have a strong opinion on this matter.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5852 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Hi magic fett,

Glad you asked but first I gotta ask about that screen name. Where does "fett" originate from? Don't know why it piques my interest.

OK, for someone who knows nothing about metal bending I would recommend Banachek's PK Silverware. It goes into great detail on not only the moves but the psychology which is necessary to performing this convincingly. It has recently been rereleased on DVD by Murphy's Magic Supplies so it should be easily available from your favorite dealer.

I won't go into any more detail than that as this topic is about Liquid Metal, but there are a couple of old threads which discuss PK Silverware.
magic fett
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of magic fett
Thanks I will look into those and Fett is from Star Wars nothing more to it than that.
johnrp
View Profile
New user
John
10 Posts

Profile of johnrp
Boat (Al) writes:

>Not every trick is meant for every person.
>But to call this garbage is so completely wrong.
>Maybe, AlexRangel should just say it's not
>his cup of tea.

Or maybe he should say it's not his cup of teaspoon?

John
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4164 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I've added enough to this review already but must add one more story. My parents were in town this weekend and after 20+ years, they rarely if ever come to a show of mine and I hardly ever show them any of my new effects. Well, we were at dinner and someone kept coming up to my mom saying "you have to see his fork trick. It's the best thing we have ever seen." So my mother keeps asking to see the trick but I keep refusing. Yesterday as they are getting ready to leave, I decided to be brave and try it on her. (this is a lady that comes to my shows and sits in the front row and while other people are laughing their heads off, she is giving me the hurry up sign.)

Well I did Liquid for her and once she saw the corkscrew, she started to scream and get animated. After the conclusion of the trick she was screaming and jumping up and down. She actually said "that is the best trick I have ever seen in my life." If only you knew what praise this was coming from her. My parents are both professionals and almost impossible to fool but this floored both of them.
Jim Tighe
View Profile
Veteran user
West Virginia
363 Posts

Profile of Jim Tighe
What a heartwarming 500th post. Congrats Eric.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5852 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Bravo! Very nice trick.

From my first post:
"Liquid Metal is a cute trick..."

The real work on metal bending is so much more.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4164 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Thanks Jim. Jim knows first hand how hard it is to get a reaction out of woman using magic. His lovely wife Patty is second in line to my mother in terms of people who are rarely if ever fooled by magic (and who will be quick to tell you they are not fooled).
AlexRangel
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of AlexRangel
Sorry about being gone so long. But here we go. First to Mr Cutts thank you, not a direct thank you to me, but simple thank you for not being as close minded as others. I can only write what I feel, and make no attempts to defend my statements. No this trick was not my cup of tea. Not mine, and hopefully buy the good grace of God or what ever being you believe in, not yours either! I am simply trying to help people. If I hadn't already given this dvd away, I would gladly have given my copy to anyone who had even for a moment thought of wasting there money on this.
The only thing I can agree on it is the magician who makes the effect what it is. But just because you learn the paddle move and do couple of tricks for your mommy does not make you a magician. Please take up golf, or gardening. Stop making a mockery of our art. Take pride, honor,magic in what you do!
as always,
Alex Rangel
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
To compare Banacheck's performance on a TV talk show to a DVD geared and edited solely to make Morgan's trick look good is an unfair comparison. To compare any live performance you may give to real people to something they see on TV is also unfair. So, that sort of "which is better" rationalization is pointless.

I will say, as someone who has featured metal bending in his shows for years, and someone who has seen Banachek do his work in front of real people in the real world; it is clear from the performance on the Liquid Metal trailer that Morgan does not understand all of the subtleties that go into metal bending.

The concept of using the bends to make a sculpture is indeed "cute," but I assure you metal bending can be so much more than merely cute. Shame to let something so powerful become so trite.

Brad Henderson
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
I cannot understand how anyone can call this cute.

Cardtoon is cute.
Yours,

Ivan
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4164 Posts

Profile of emyers99
As I've said before, we'll just have to agree to disagree about Liquid, but here's a question. How many Liquid bashers have actually tried the routine on an audience? I agree that comparing a tv performance to a live performance is not fair but isn't that what's really going on here for the Liquid bashers who have never tried the routine on a real audience.
solidglint
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of solidglint
It would help if you find the right forks. At least with Banachek's routine you can do it with most forks. This is the only gripe I have with Morgans Liquid Silver.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Morgan Strebler "Liquid Metal" (Review) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL