The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Genii Review of Escape Book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
GreatWizardoftheEast
View Profile
Regular user
Knoxville, TN
124 Posts

Profile of GreatWizardoftheEast
The October 2004 issue of Genii Magazine has a review of "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Entertaining With Escapes".
Harold White
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
GWN,

I don't get Genii, could you post the review on the Café?

That'd be great,

Roslyn
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
GreatWizardoftheEast
View Profile
Regular user
Knoxville, TN
124 Posts

Profile of GreatWizardoftheEast
Roslyn,
Not sure if that kind of thing is allowed without permission of the publisher. It's a long and detailed review that gives the pluses and minuses of the booklet. But to do it justice it's best read in full. Is it that difficult to get Genii in the UK?

Harry
Harold White
WEASEL DANDAW
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of WEASEL DANDAW
All I can say is I have just read this book and found it extremely helpful. For the last four years I have been a full time professional EA, and it taught me a few things that I know will improve my bookings.
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
My synopsis of Eric Meade's thoughtful review would be that the book covered a lot of material ancillary to the escape act per se, such as insurance and booking strategies. While this information was valuable, it was dissapointing that the book failed in its title of promising more specific information on the escape act itself. Also, much of the information covered (such as stage craft and the business side of show business) has been covered more thoroughly and expertly in other texts. Further it was noted that there has never been a truly complete book on the escape act and escape act methods and that one would be warranted. (Which is a very true observation.) A book delivering this content would fill a niche nicely. This book is not that book. Finally, the poor production quality of the book itself was addressed.

In short, this book does not provide the promised answers to "Everything I wanted to know about escapes."
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Someone was Nice Enough to E-mail me the review of the Book and I'll like to Thank them for it.
EscapeMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of EscapeMaster
Please could that be PMd to me? Thank you.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I already Deleted it from my E-mail maybe the person who sent it to me. will be nice enough to send it to you in a PM. Don,
cat weasel
View Profile
New user
free agent
16 Posts

Profile of cat weasel
For those who haven't got Genii or don't get it, I have tried to capture the best parts of the review from the email I recieved also.
This book is supposed to cost about $75.00 and to think someone wants to complain about a professionally done DVD at just more than that, go figure.

""Mr Santini is treading where many other have already forged a path without adding anything new.
………………
Visually the book is plain, showing the telltale signs of self publication that have sadly become so promineny in the post modern era. Single sided pages, large point type, unnatural gaps and section that seem to run togther in a comb bound format remove any sense of professional design and leave one with the feeling that Mr Santini could well be printing them off on his home computer each time he receives a new order. There are no page numbers, rendering the table of contents nearly useless. Misspelt words abound, along with annoying little punctuation errors that might be typos. Combine these visual and literary flaws with the “Matter of fact” style of writing, and reading it becomes an act of will nearly as gruelling as the challenge escape act itself………..

A book like that would better address everything I ever wanted to know about “entertaining with escape” than this ones does.""

Chris
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Soomer or later someone is going to argue/complain about something Especially if it is about a Price. also the Quality of the Product etc. Don,
EscapeMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of EscapeMaster
Thanks for passing on the review. It is not surprising that Santini is heralded on this forum as quite a big cheese for he is one of only about two people releasing material for the escape community. It is only natural that he is considered among the best for there are so few.

But it is interesting to read a review from somebody in the wider more general magic field to get things better in perspective.

I guess it would be against copyright to post the whole thing but here are selected comments from it:

"Santini is not a clever writer."

"When he turns his attention to describing business and basic stagecraft the book ceases to be interesting."

There is only a "sprinkling of good advice" which is completely obscured by "excruciating detail".

"Mr. Santini is treading where many others have already forged a path without adding anything new."

"Reading it becomes a gruelling act of will."

"Frustrating."

"Dull."

The reviewer does concede that Santini is very experienced. We all know that. But what a shame he is unable to impart many years of cutting edge escaping through the written word. It would seem that we are missing out for many people are clamouring to suck him dry.

Hope this is of some help. What is next, Steve?
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
At Least He Tryed and Did Something and is Helping Others out. Don,
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Looks like a good issue to own. I ordered the single copy for $6 ppd from their website.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
It should be theres even a issue out with the pendragons in it not sure if it is magic or genii.
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
I don't think it is fair to lump Eric into a group that is "bound to complain about something". I know Eric and know that he is very thoughtful in his reviews. As someone who knows nothing about Santini, I felt that Eric gave great justifications for his opinions.

Now, as someone who tries to have an extremely complete library, I would LOVE to have a truly encyclopedic text on escape techniques. Sadly, that book has not been written.
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
As for my latest book and the recent slams it is getting; I do not expect everyone to react the same way to anything henceforth I am not bothered that some do not like the publication.

I personally do not like some types of food but other love them and vice versa.

Just because someone from Genii did not like the book does not at all mean it is not good. Everything is a matter of personal preference and besides, the reviewer was not even an escape artist!

It really does not matter one bit.

At this time I find solace in these two facts:

1) There are a number of people who have indeed found the book of use and I thank them for the kind impressions of my work. It has apparantly helped them and that is what I wrote and published it for in the first place. So, I can happily say "mission accomplished"!

and finally,

2) The manager of the Grand Ole Oprey in Nashville once told a young man by the name of Elvis Presley that he should give up all hopes of being a singer and instead seriously reconsider going back to driving a truck again.

Enough said!

Steve Santini

P.S.

I can't help but wonder, as do others, just how many people would have been posting positive things about the book here as opposed to negatives were Genii to have given it a glowing review.

I imagine not many.

Not to worry. Everyone who owns one has learnt from it and that is the real reason I put it out.

I am just glad ot has been of help.

Steve Santini
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I for one remember a Movie that was given a very Bad Review about 20 some years ago. and even More recently The Passion Of Christ. I know a movie cant compare to a Book. but people have already used the info from the book and had Great Results with it. did the Reviewer try and do that as well. Don,
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
It is my pesonal opinion that too many magicians and escape artists try to do it all themselves.

They know their craft and many here on this board know it quite well. But very few have the same level of knowledge about staging, lighting, sound, publishing, grammar, marketing, graphic arts, etc.

This is where their craft ceases to progress. I have not read Santini's book, but have heard good things about it from people I trust. Will I purchase it?...most likely. Does it sound like he wrote it himself with no outside help from an editor, publisher, etc?...even more likely.

So this will not sound like a post against Santini, which it isn't. I will also touch on performers as a whole.
As I said before their craft ceases to progress and sometimes even exist when they try to do it all themselves...Within the last 12 months I have seen performers with their music on cassette tape and not even a generation one copy at that. I have seen business cards printed on their home printer on perforated card stock, leaving that telltale sign of an amateur. I could go on and on and many here could chime in with things they have seen as well.

The bottom line, in my opinion, is to get assistance in areas where there is a shortfall of knowledge or experience. We have all been guilty of it....But don't be the definition of insanity...
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

My $.02, I could be wrong.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Kevin your Right on the Money. I for one have been asking for Help/Advice and am surprised that I am getting it. Don,
Cindi
View Profile
Loyal user
Palm Bch, FL
285 Posts

Profile of Cindi
OK Steve,
When do we start shooting the Movie?
Woooo Hooooo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Genii Review of Escape Book (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL