The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Skinner's 3 Card Monte (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
I was surprised this wasn't done on Mike Skinner's A-1 videos etc. or the peformance videos put out after he apssed.

Does anyone know if there is a performance of Mike doing this?

Here is Mike Ammar performing for real folks:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TwhxHEgbVx8
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I have never been "busted" with this effect, and it elicits very strong reactions. I do not present it as a challenge to the audience, but rather how I was duped by a street worker. I think that angle makes the audience a little more relaxed. Also, IMHO, the proper placement of this routine in one's set is very important. The audience needs to be at the point where you have fried them so thoroughly that they will accept anything you do!

Audience management is key; also, handling the gaffs casually makes a world of difference. If the audience has handled the deck in prior effects and you have done your job, they will not suspect anything untoward with the cards as long as your handling remains casual. At one point in the routine, I literally toss them on the mat as I make a disgusted comment about how I was "taken" again. I end it by telling the spectators that I took the cards from the street worker and showed him that magic is stronger than a con. The payoff is great.

As for the thumb issue, I use my index and middle fingers to turn the cards. It looks a lot more casual - at least for me.

Having said all of this, I have begun to do Richard Vollmer's "Poor Man's Monte" from Apocalypse; VERY nice effect and no gaffs.

Best,
Vlad
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8370 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Best Monte I know (and perform) is Monte Plus, out of the very first year of APOCALYPSE. Interesting, I even "fry" magicians with it. HL
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
I use Harry Lorayne's routine. THe bent corner scam is what makes a Monte routine, but most mortals can't do it the Vernon way. Harry's routine allows the scam to be done without pinky gymnastics and frys laymen.

paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
The only versions of this that I know are the Malone and Skinner booklet way.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2007-12-05 23:25, paisa23 wrote:
The only versions of this that I know are the Malone and Skinner booklet way.

Those are the gaff versions ( Mike Rogers also has a routine with those gadffs ).

Harry Lorayne's routien uses ungaff cards.

daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
424 Posts

Profile of daver
I actually like the suggestion that Malone has in his DVD - keep the folder for the cards in view (kinda obviates getting them from a deck, but if you pose it as a gambling thing with 3 cards, and then pull the three out, it's not too suspicious - I've never been busted using that story and pulling 3 from a folder - I don't use too many gaffed card effects) but right after the final reveal, put the cards in the packet and take out something else from the same packet and move right on, before they ask you to go back and get the cards you just used. There's a couple of cheapy vinyl packets around that also have a left and right opaque slot, with an extra slot on one side, so you really have three places to stash stuff. You can even use it as a poor man's gaff switch, keeping an extra ungaffed set of 3 in there and swapping them out.

Ungaffed is of course better in most cases.

I actually still, to this day (even sometimes using the set of cards I got at Tannen's when I was 12) mess people up with Color Monte. It's just such an unassuming effect, with a cute ending that never fails to entertain. And ungaffed.
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
693 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
I also follow Daver's idea where I have a cheap black vinyl wallet I got free with a packet card trick.As well as having two pockets with clear frontage there is another hidden opaque pocket on one side. In this pocket I place the three ungaffed cards before hand. At the end of the effect I simply place the gaffed set of cards back in the wallet and only if the spectator asks to see the cards do I undertake the switch.

At the onset of the effect I show all three cards in the following manner.First I spread the three cards face up in my left hand with the ungaffed two to the front. I use my right forefinger to bring attention to the ungaffed two.I then use my right hand to lift the two face up to the vertical just leaving it resting a little upon the next card so as to cover the gaffed index. I use this card as a natural pointer to bring attention to the second card. I then transfer the second hand behind the two using the two cards to do the same with respect to showing the last card cleanly.

I have also adapted Mike Skinner's effect so that I pick up the ungaffed two and the gaffed three separately from the table face down and place the cards together in my right hand.I then show the two cards face up in an open spread to the right with my right thumb covering the bottom right index.To my mind this is far more natural than showing each card singly.

If the gaffed three is to the front the index is naturally covered in the spreading.If the ungaffed two is in front I can then take the liberty of lifting my finger a little to let the spectator have a glimpse of the lower left index. I then raise the two cards up so that they are vertical and facing me.

Finally I pick up the remaining card face down (which I generally arrange in my routine so that it is always the ace) and with my left hand insert it as high up as possible in the vertical facing me fan of cards. I then simply lower the cards and the ace is shown with the index naturally covered.

If I remember correct Oz Pearlman (who is gifted with cards) does a good 'Three Card Monte' version of Mike Skinner's original effect on the Penguin web site where as he picks up the cards (one in each hand) he waves them face up horizontally so that they flap against one another. This movement creates misdirection from the fact that the thumb is in play. It gives the thumb a 'raison d'etre' so to speak. This is a good ploy.

I am not familiar with the 'Switch-a-Roo' and the 'x-Change deck'.I did make the mistake of buying a 'card switcher' thing a few months ago where you have a white perplex frame with a false back that is used to turn the cards around to achieve the switch. I never felt comfortable with this as it was only really good for one or two cards and the false back was too large. It did not look natural.

With best wishes Andy.
Joey911
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Joey911
There is a packet switch routine in the instruction booklet. Look in the back. It is pretty good.
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
693 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
Yes the pocket can be used to good effect. One might switch the gaffed cards for a normal set in the guise of searching in the pocket for the wallet. I think that this is the methodology you are talking about if I remember rightly. It is a classic ploy. Andy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Skinner's 3 Card Monte (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL