The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Sam the bell hop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stevesmagic
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of stevesmagic
Does anyone out there know the history of Sam the Bell Hop ?
to the blue sky at the top of the hill...
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Bill Malone talks about it on his DVD. I think it was an effect originaly titled "Sam and Moe".
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
I think this is covered in a thread in the Cards section. The late Frank Everhart is credited with bringing this routine to the magic world, and he almost certainly created much of what the story is today. As I recall, however, Mr. Everhart claimed to have been told the story by an anonymous bar patron.

Try a search in that section.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
In the book "The Final Word on Cards" by Rufus Steele there was an entry titled "Sam & Moe" which was essentially this effect. Bill Malone learned the "Sam the Bellhop" story and stack as shown to him by Mike Pappas and Frank Everhart and he immediately added expert shuffles and cuts to it, thereby making it magical. Over the years, Bill refined the routine and it became his signature piece.

I remember being told that several of the shuffles and cuts Bill Malone uses were shown to him by Joel Givens.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Bold ATFUS
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Bold ATFUS
I think the routine is actually called "Moe and Sam," and the name of the book is actually The Last Word on Cards.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Thanks Bold ATFUS, I wondered where it came from.

I learned it from a layman, the older brother of a friend while I was in grade school. The guy did an okay false cut too. The false shuffle stuff seems a recent addition.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
The trouble with Moe and Sam, Sam the Bellhop, Malone's version, and most others, is that the trick doesn't so much end as stop.
I do several version that have a LOGICAL ending, and don't simply end with a winning hand of poker.
Several of these have been published.
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
I use a version of Diamond Jack that "Diamond" Jim Tyler published in his excellent lecture notes: "Precious Gems".

This is a very good story - some of it is nonsensical, but hey it uses all 52 cards!

It has a slew of bad puns that go over great, and it's got a sweet sentimental ending that makes the audience go, "Aw".

I've had people who've seen me do it multiple times rave about how much they like the story and enjoy seeing it again and again.

The original version of Diamond Jack (well, and early version if not the first) appeared in The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks by Jean Hugard in 1937.

Jim Tyler credits Eugene Burger, Bill Ingram and Namreh for preceding work that his version is based on.
rexgetz
View Profile
New user
Manhattan, Ks.
84 Posts

Profile of rexgetz
I had a school teacher show me sam the bellhop in 1955. Did not see it attributed to Frank Everhart until several years later. I would be real interested in it's orgin.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I know that the trick is far from new. The first time I saw it was in Leo's Last Stop (a leap-in, limp-out, off-limits, water-front bar) near Newport, RI when I was a young midshipman in Navy OCS. That was the summer and fall of 1967. The patter was a little different, but so was the world. Pool cues were often used as magic wands in that place.

Maturity is good stuff, if you make it!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
John Shirley did a similar routine with jumbo cards called "Diamond Jack". I believe it is still sold by Magic Inc.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
I have the original 2 or 3 page manuscript of Sam The Bellhop and the author is Frank Everhart. If interested I could go look for it and see if any info is available.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
jhard
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, TX
135 Posts

Profile of jhard
Ed Watkins at Douglas Magicland in Dallas published a version called "Jack the Bartender" in the very early 1960s.
Success to all.
Cranial Fermentator
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of Cranial Fermentator
In an issue of the Magic New Zealand newsletter, a Captain Bill James published what he called the "BIMBO" card trick. He said it was based on a trick performed by a magician who visited his military camp in 1941. Although he never mentions "Sam the Bellhop", it seems to be almost identical except the hero is a little boy named Bimbo. I'd be interested if anyone else is familiar with this variation?

Thanks,

Paul
cardpunk1206
View Profile
New user
oregon
51 Posts

Profile of cardpunk1206
In the bar magic video with bob sheets and eric mead they talk about Frank inventing it.
We Need To Be Astonished. -Paul Harris
MueCard
View Profile
Inner circle
2968 Posts

Profile of MueCard
In SAM, THE BELLHOP (cover + 7 pages with text) you could read, that as a young man Frank Everhart went to California (born Sept., 10, 1921 in Alverton, Penn.; died in July 31, 2004), need a job, and found it in a bar. That work eventually took him to Chicago and the 90's Bar at the La Salle. Previously, while working in an Elston Avenue Bar in Chicago, a southerer had come in and taught him the Sam, The Bellhop routine for a drink. With this as his first trick....

Reinhard
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I saw it done by a friend in grade school (1966 or 67) as taught to him by his older brother. It must have been around a while.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I actually picked up a copy of "The Last Word on Cards" from a box in a collection at a local brick and mortar shop. I think he charged me $2.50. It's not a bad book. I believe it's from 1952.

On the back of this little paperback book it says in big letters "THIS IS A FIFTY DOLLAR BOOK." LOL!
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
Quote:
On 2006-06-25 17:26, MueCard wrote:
In SAM, THE BELLHOP (cover + 7 pages with text) you could read, that as a young man Frank Everhart went to California (born Sept., 10, 1921 in Alverton, Penn.; died in July 31, 2004)...

Reinhard

And with all of his class and cleverness, the time of death for Frank Everhart was 6:54. You couldn't have written a better ending.

May he rest in eternal peace - a great man gone.
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Sam the bell hop (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL