The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Bullet Catch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
I have the Bullet Catch 22 and am wondering if this would be a good idea to use in a street act.

Anyone got any thoughts?

I am not sure about it because the reaction to such a bang of a bullet may be very frightening to an audience (especially children, for whom I do not want to be responsible of creating a phobia).

Cheers,

Chris
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
I am very familiar with the effect. I think that, at best, the effect be reserved for small group and intimate parties. It may not work quite as well out in the open, especially in the current mindframe of many people in regards to feeling secure.

You may also run into some heat from law enforcement. And though we know the working, law enforcement does not. It could create quite a headache.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Harry Anderson used to do a bullet catch....told me about that once.
koz
Scruffy the Clown
View Profile
Loyal user
Coldwater,MI
233 Posts

Profile of Scruffy the Clown
I guess I wouldn't do it in the 'hood. People might think it was a drive by...
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
Smile That was a good comment Scruffy. I was thinking the same thing. Also, you might just get a gun pulled on you and get shot for real.
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
It is a great trick. But bullets in public? Avoid like the plague.

Koz is right. Harry Anderson used to do a bullet catch at ren fairs with a partner. Very similar to the one the Pendragons have done on TV.

Catch 22 is designed to be a close up trick.

It's a great trick but for the street I'd pass on it.

This new Rat Trap trick or even the Abbotts spring trap can pack as much drama, are fairly inexpensive, would play bigger, and would not have the cops hasseling you.

That's my two pesos anyway.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Bull's eye, Dan!

Let's also consider the source here... Seems to me that there is this constant confusion between street magic as by buskers' definition (under the sidewalk shuffle forum) and the "attack and run" ambush guerilla magic as the post-Blaine magical terrorists would have it (street magic forum).

Assuming the term "Street Magic" has forever been hijacked by the ellusionist pranksters, perhaps the true artists of the the sidewalk should somehow incorporate the word "Show" into their moniker, as -they- still seem to get it.

Micro magic, while wonderful in its own arena, is hardly going to draw the circle on the street.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
My normal pitch doesn't even allow fire let alone firearms. I would be history faster than you can pull a trigger if I tried anything like that.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2004-10-05 03:52, JamesinLA wrote:
My normal pitch doesn't even allow fire let alone firearms.

HAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!!!!!ROFLMPWIAO!!!!!!!!

God Jim!

I do not know why that struck me so funny but I just sprayed coffee all over my monitor.

Do you think James from East L.A. could bring a gat on the pitch?

Man, oh, Manochevitz, that was funny!

best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Yeah, when I applied for my permit, they had us describe what props we would be using. I included scissors (for cut and restored rope). The city official told me they probably wouldn't let me use them, so I crossed it out. Scissors! Can you believe it? So I crossed them out and, of course, use scissors all I want. I also use flash paper but no one complains.

Jim

Sorry about the coffee mess, Dan
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
So here's a thought. You show a bullet, have it marked, etc. but tell 'em "I couldn't bring my rifle on the airplane, but they let my SLING SHOT through."

So work out a way to use a slingshot for a comedy bullet catch.

How about a paint ball in the slingshot?

Of course nothing comes at you but a splat of paint hits on your forehead.

I can think of a couple of ways to do it.

HUSTLE my man... MY card in rat trap whips 'em all. It is made like a card sword.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
court
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of court
That seems like a really bad idea because of all of this up-tight security.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yes, that's true. I even sold my Jumbo Sidekick, because, quite frankly, I can't foresee a time when it would be acceptable to perform it in public.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Quote:
On 2004-10-05 15:08, JamesinLA wrote:
Yeah, when I applied for my permit, they had us describe what props we would be using. I included scissors (for cut and restored rope). The city official told me they probably wouldn't let me use them, so I crossed it out. Scissors! Can you believe it? So I crossed them out and, of course, use scissors all I want. I also use flash paper but no one complains.

Jim

Sorry about the coffee mess, Dan

Get one of those Toolman thingys they have scissors on them, but list them as pliers.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2004-10-05 20:53, Pete Biro wrote:
So here's a thought. You show a bullet, have it marked, etc. but tell 'em "I couldn't bring my rifle on the airplane, but they let my SLING SHOT through."

So work out a way to use a slingshot for a comedy bullet catch.

How about a paint ball in the slingshot?

Of course nothing comes at you but a splat of paint hits on your forehead.

I can think of a couple of ways to do it.

HUSTLE my man... MY card in rat trap whips 'em all. It is made like a card sword.

Pete,

I LOVE the paint ball idea! Man, you are good!

The now famous comedian Eddie Izzard used to do an arrow catch with his busking partner in Covent Garden back in his busking days.

He would stick his head in a Styrofoam cooler and his partner would shoot arrows at his head.

to quote Tobias the adequate, "It isn't just dangerous, it's stupid."

Very funny idea though.

I think the paint ball idea could really play big and let's face it any excuse to put on goggles in your show is worth the effort. Goggles are just funny. Smile

Best,

Dan-

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
DH... glad you like it... You could also "Catch a Pie" -- do a build up as to how dangerous it is, etc. and have a kid in the edge get set to throw the pie in your face. False starts, etc.

Now if I could just figure a way to have him miss and get himself?

Of course a stooge would be the hot tip.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Pete,

Re: Pie Throwing.

Great idea! The trick would be to not have the audience sympathize with the stooge. Perhaps if the stooge were an obvious ringer, say, an exaggerated character. The tension of the false count, etc. would still be strong. Maybe the stooge doesn't actually throw the pie, but he operates some type of Rube Goldberg-like pie throwing contraption. The premise and the reversal punch could be the same and be very funny.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
For anyone who is going to use any of the great comedy ideas here, I have thought up a patter to begin with. Please add and alter as you wish:

“With the tricks aside, I am now about to perform what is now being called ‘The World’s Most Dangerous Stunt’. At least 15 magicians have been killed while performing this stunt, either due to a fault of their own, or someone purposely killing the magician. Nobody can be sure of the exact death count.

This stunt has been performed for hundreds upon hundreds of years. The first reported death was in the 1500’s, when Coulen was killed. that's right, ladies and gentlemen, I am about to perform the infamous paintball catch (or whatever fits)"

Chris

P.S: Thanks for the ideas guys - I think I'll leave it alone.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I have spent way too much time today envisioning a compressed air "Pie Cannon". Pete you always makes me think way, way, out there. Thank you. Smile

Best,

Dan-

P.S. Even with the pie cannon I could still wear goggles. Smile

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You need to have a pie gun that BACKFIRES and gets the shooter... Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Bullet Catch (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL