The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dogs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1122 Posts

Profile of maps
I was given a Shih Tzu and was wondering if anyone has produced a dog from any production boxes like a Blammo or Duckpan etc...
Do you encounter any problems like barking, scatching etc...
Care to share?
FM
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20519 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Dogs are very frequently used in magic. It is much more common outside the USA than within the USA. However there are still many acts in the USA that include dogs. Pam and Johnny Thompson carry them with them but I can't say I have ever witnessed them in the show. But they are too creative to have not done it.

There are plenty of trainers in the mid-west that train dogs for show business.

Good Luck!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
gulamerian
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of gulamerian
You can train them to be quiet. We use six dogs in our show. You would never know they were back stage. Dogs love to entertain.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I have thought of using my dogs.
A 160 and 135 pound Alaskan Malamutes.
They don't bark. It's part of the breed.
Daniel Faith
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi,

I have been training two Old English Sheepdogs for the past year. I purchased a Blamo box when one was a young pup..but he kept on growing and growing! The one featured in my avatar pic was a lot smaller and was my working partner for three years before her retirement. She wasn't in my magic act but Shaggy and I did educational pet talks at community centers, schools and hospitals. I did some humorous things with her like having her join in singalongs since her voice was far better than mine.

If you are considering using a dog in your act, my suggestion would be to properly socialize them first before you use them. Take your dog out with you everywhere there are crowds, loud noises, people clapping..that sort of thing. The more a dog is socialized and has basic obedience training ..the magical training is far easier. Watch your dog closely and see what natural ability they have that can be incorporated into your act.

Good Luck!
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Aside from Alaskan malamutes, the basenji's don't bark either so you don't have any problems with them barking while having them backstage or hidden in a prop.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Most animals that can be domesticated as pets can be used in magic. The only problem is training them. If you aren't experienced in training animals for show purposes, I'd certaily suggest getting a professional trainer with that kind of experience. Most of them will have you there during the training so you can learn how to do it. Takes more than just keeping the dog quite and not scratching. If he bolts and runs or gets scared and bites somebody you have big problems. They need to be very well trained, and tamed.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Mya Angel
View Profile
Special Assistant
California
1397 Posts

Profile of Mya Angel
I have had Malamutes as well, they are very smart, they do bark but can be trained not to. I also have pomeranians. Believe it or not they also can be trained not to bark. Smile
There is nothing that remains so constant as change. Don't end up like concrete, all mixed up and permanently set. Smile

He who slings mud will surely lose ground.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
There was an act several years ago called "The Great Andre". The dog was a magician and there were two guys that were his assistants. It was a pretty clever approach to magic. I think they were out of the midwest; not sure if they're still performing.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20519 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
You know there was Mighty Manfred the Wonder Dog on Tom Terrific. He spent a great deal of his time in deep thought (or sleep - Who could tell?).

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
You might want to PM Gulamerian. He's a member in this Café. I read in another thread that he uses big white dogs called a samoyed in his shows.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
munch1215
View Profile
New user
California
77 Posts

Profile of munch1215
Is it possible to train a dog to choose a spectator's card out of a deck of cards?
Look deep within yourself for inspiration
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Munch,

He may be able to be trained to do this. My suggestion would be to wipe some kind of un-noticable substance on the card before the effect and perhaps force the card. Dogs are able to smell thousands of times better than man (some dogs are more adaptable to this ..like the Hounds which are guided by scent..) Other dogs are more guided by sight, still others by movement, such as Herders. It depends on what type of dog you are thinking of doing this with.

I write an advice column on animal behavior,mainly about dogs, and what I often tell people is first you observe your dog, become familiar with the natural traits of that particular breed ..then adapt your tricks to those traits.

A strong smelling substance like sardine, salmon or tuna oil on the card may cause the dog to be drawn to that scent. However, the oil mark may be noticable on the card. Experiment with different things perhaps. Each time your dog even goes near the card with the scent..lots of praise..good boy! Be consistent and eventually they figure out what is it they should do..take it in tiny steps...they are praised each time they do what is expected of them.

Good Luck!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dogs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL