The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » I know you guys can help me out... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DaveVegas
View Profile
New user
Leicester,England
89 Posts

Profile of DaveVegas
I have a booklet by Father Roger Crosthwaite, a Tribute to Ed Marlo. I got it out the other day to dig out some new effects... and remembered why I stopped the first time. There are a number of moves/sleights referred to and I need the sources. I.E. 'execute a shank shuffle.... perform the Daryl Martinez display'. is one example.

Would you give me a hint on a book of card sleights that would cover these moves? My bibles have been Expert card technique and Walter B Gibson's complete illustrated book of card magic. Thanks
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
[ This Message was edited by: greatscott on 2001-12-16 02:00 ]
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
I agree with Scott 100%! Buy all four volumes, and you have enough work for a lifetime! Smile Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
DaveVegas
View Profile
New user
Leicester,England
89 Posts

Profile of DaveVegas
Thanks guys - I'll invest in a set when I've saved up!

Smile
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
[ This Message was edited by: greatscott on 2001-12-16 02:00 ]
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
A Shank Shuffle is basically a Zarrow Shuffle. However, there is (and always will be) a lot of discussion regarding the existance/credits of the move and to quote Darwin Ortiz, "A great deal of sophistry has been brought to bear in comparing [the Shank] to the Zarrow shuffle."

Did Marlo rename and change a little to the handling of the shuffle just like he renamed the Depth Illusion to make his mark on the move? Or what about the other side of the argument? Some say that Marlo never claimed the Tilt and that the name Depth Illusion came from Karl Fulves or Conrad Bush and not Vernon anyway. But the Tilt has nothing to do with this argument (I was just using it as an example).

My thoughts are basically this... the handling of the Shank Shuffle (published by Marlo and Frank Shank) are exactly the same as the handling for a false riffle in Erdnase ("Second Method For Retaining Full Deck Order") so if it is considered different to the Zarrow Shuffle, it's a re-invention anyway. Smile Then again, the Zarrow Shuffle is very similar to Erdanse's move... damn it! I give up!!! Smile

Just thought I'd write that down to clear my own mind up on the subject. Unfortunately, it's made it even more faded!!!

--Andi

Check out - A2 Productions my all new website - http://www.asquaredproductions.com
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Jeese. This Andi Gladwin guy is pretty smart for a teenager.

I hate that. Smile
Yakworld.
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
hehe - thanks - I'll take that as a compliment Smile

--Andi
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
The Daryl encyclopedia of card sleights videos are also an excellent source for all kinds of moves.

Smile
Tom Wolf
View Profile
Special user
Harrison, Ohio
580 Posts

Profile of Tom Wolf
Dave,

There is a book called The Shank Shuffle published by Ed Marlo.

Jon Racherbaumer might be able to give you reference to where it might be purchased.

It is not the same as the Zarrow shuffle.

There is no pull out of the center portion in the Shank Shuffle.

We could go on for ever in arguments here.

Suffice it to say, that they both have their merits in different ways.

There are more superior shuffles available.

Good luck in our beloved craft.

Tom Smile
The magic director and performer at the Rincon Gaucho supper club in Mexico City,

We opened the first and only close-up room for magic in Mexico with Wolf Ruvinskis.
have several new coin vanishes and routines to share shortly just as soon as I can find someone to film them for me.

Now living in Harrison, Ohio
DaveVegas
View Profile
New user
Leicester,England
89 Posts

Profile of DaveVegas
Thanks guys, good stuff!

Smile
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
The handling of the Shank Shuffle is a little different to the Zarrow, but from a creative view point - nothing stunning. People like Marlo would tell you that if you slip cut before the move, you're doing a Zarrow Shuffle, and if you don't you're doing a Shank Shuffle.

The booklet (by Ed Marlo/Frank Shank) can be found in most of the bigger magic books shops like H&R and Magic Books By Post (UK).

--Andi
Enigma
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
41 Posts

Profile of Enigma
I know this is old, but? Andi Is a tennager? You son of a! You lied and said you were 100 years old and had been doing magic since birth.... then you had the gaul to tell me you were Houdini's mentor? I am so *****tered in my perception!

Andy take my name off the A2 mailing list... for you my good man are a liar! BTW all the above is sarcasm, and a lead up to say where the heck you been man! And what's the deal with the A2 Newsletter?

PS adding to this post allowing me to stay in the guidelines I would like to say the Shank is far more inferior than the Zarrow and to even assume the Shank as being the first would be uncilvilized!

Enigma Smile
You got to stand for something or you will fall for anything .... unless you are tired and you need to lay down or at least sit down then it is ok not to stand, my own opinion of course.

Enigma
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » I know you guys can help me out... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL