The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review wanted : Sharpie though bill (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Got Hanks ad last week and saw Sahrpie though Dollar. It least I think that's what it is called. Anyone see or own this? Any good?
WR
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
My chief objection to the Sharpie through bill is that you can't push a Sharpie marker through a dollar bill. You can push an extra-fine one through, but not a normal one.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
MagicCarisio
View Profile
Inner circle
1061 Posts

Profile of MagicCarisio
Hi WR,
There is a photograph of the "Sharpie thru Anything" at http://www.emagictricks.co.uk
The sharpie is not a thick sharpie and will penetrate a bill...I just tried it!
Glad to hear that Hank Lee's is carrying it...but lo and behold it woud'nt come up. I tried the hot list too! Hank must have just received it.
Gerard
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I personally use the Zombie Pen through bill. I think that a pen with a ball point is more convincing for a pen through bill than a marker with a felt tip since the ball point has a sharper and harder point to it than a felt tip.
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
WR,

I have the Sharpie Thru Anything and am very satisfied with it. If you do effects, like cards, that require a spectator to handle a regular Sharpie then this should interest you. At a given moment do a switch and then the bill penetration. Some patter and misdirection and another switch. You have performed a miracle.

Also, this gimmick has a very strong magnet. When you pull it out of the pen the "ripping" sound is rather real and convincing.

My thoughts.

José
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Thanks Jose.
WR
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
I too have switched to the Sharpie Through Anything. It is much easier for a spectator to sign the bill with a real Sharpie and sice they are used to seeing me use a Sharpie for other tricks it is a natural.

Mike
MagicCarisio
View Profile
Inner circle
1061 Posts

Profile of MagicCarisio
I'm a pen through bill afficionado and added the sharpie to my collection...at times I use the sharpie depending on the routine.
If you do have to switch at the end of your routine, a switch can easily be accomplished by using the inner breast pocket of your jacket.
Gerard
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Has anyone here ever tried pushing a real sharpie through a bill. Doesn't work!!! Just a thought.

John
markparker
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
350 Posts

Profile of markparker
I use one of Steve Drauns sharpie reels to switch in the sharpie thru.
Place sharpie thru into jacket sleeve top and keep arm naturally bent. Get the Card/note signed with genuine pen and release using the pull and allow sleeved pen to come into play. With carefull practice it looks like nothing (which is great) then you push the 'apparantly' same pen thru the note etc. It really takes the heat off the pen because they have used it to sign the note first.
Just my input.
BTW if you can't push a sharpie thru a note you need to work out!
http://www.illusion-designer.com - Bespoke Illusion design - Publications -Show consultancy....Vivify a collection of stage illusions limited edition of 500 copies available now.
davidcarlo
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of davidcarlo
Doesn't really work but if presented well never a spectator issue. I have performed sharpie thru anything for years and prefer than any other pen thru anything because I use a Sharpie for card and dollar bill signing -- not any other type of pen. Would never switch types of a pen in a routine; therefore, all things taken together, I think you should definitely consider the sharpie
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1253 Posts

Profile of rmendez
I picked up two of these at Mark Mason's lecture and I think they are great but then again I am a major "Pen Through..." enthusiast. Honestly, this verison is, by far, one of the most realistic pens to perform this effect with because the brand name is known very well. Card magicians typically use them when having spectators sign cards so the gaffed pen could be effortlessly switched in at anytime. The magnets are strong and the gaff is invisible even when held mere inches from your face.

For those concerned about the possibility of being able to push a Sharpie through a bill, just adhere a bill rip/torn gaff to the end of it and I guarantee it will be one of the most (if not the most) convincing illusions a spectator has ever seen!
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Thanks for the tip Mark.But I'll stick to my point that you can't cleanly push a sharpie through a bill. Before you respond, why not try it and compare the outcome to what gimmick looks like through a bill!!!
I'll keep using the original pen through anything, made of metal, which you can push through a paper bill cleanly.

Richards tip however is a fine finess for the pen through.....but you won't get the same effect with a sharpie.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Bill is right the sharpie is way to strong for the dollr bill you will LOOSE the illusion . I use mine through a signed card or a businness card . Excellent effect & very well made. A nice flip stick vanish & you have the switch.
MagicCarisio
View Profile
Inner circle
1061 Posts

Profile of MagicCarisio
I stated earlier on the thread that you can push the sharpie through the bill. Try it!
Gerard
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
I hate seeign people push a pen through a note and just hold it flat. No creases, no tear, no nothing. Just a pen showing through a perfectly flat peice of paper. *That* is not convincing.

I push the pen theough then from the rear, use my fingers to press the note around the front section so it is quite creased. This makes it look more feasible.
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
spirit523
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of spirit523
First of all, I have performed the sharpie through bill hundreds of times and have NEVER had any one question whether or not a sharpie could really be pushed through a dollar bill. They've just seen me do it. Therefore it obviously CAN be done. This is not the magical part anyway. The trick is the bill restoration and not the penetration. Secondly, as far as doing a switch of the sharpie, I don't do any switch at all. The heat is never on the pen if presented properly. In fact, I have the spectator mark the bill using the GAFFED sharpie. This again takes the heat off the sharpie since they themselves have just used it to sign the bill. The switch is perfect because there IS no switch. I also agree with Jon. The illusion is much better if you push the sharpie down through your fingers causing the bill to bunch up around the pen.
Jesse Feinberg
View Profile
Inner circle
www.jessesmagic.com
1074 Posts

Profile of Jesse Feinberg
I was talking with the hank store about this effect. Its a great design that deserves some credit. The Cap to the full size sharpie snaps on and off, creating a really solid display of the pen to start off. You can yank the cap off, and not effect anything. My favorite Sharpie trick to maybe lead up to it is this psychic trick that uses the same model sharpie. Does anyone remember what its called, Ill post again tomorrow. It allows you to make exact predictions and do similar stuff to the s**** gimmick. ITS THE BEST!!! IT KILLS!!! Hanks definatly sells it, that where I get everything.
garcia00
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of garcia00
I make my own with Uniball pens. You can get the other needed thing on the internet, and you'll need an exacto knife. The "other things" fit perfectly in this pen, and it matches ones I use. It will even continue to write for a while after conversion.
El Mystico
View Profile
Special user
573 Posts

Profile of El Mystico
I know, I know, this is nearly ten years old now, but this made me laugh...

"My chief objection to the Sharpie through bill is that you can't push a Sharpie marker through a dollar bill."

Have you not heard of magic???
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review wanted : Sharpie though bill (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL