The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » The "Time = value" myth (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Do you find that people think they are getting more value if you perform longer? I'm amazed at the people who'll call and say "We'd like a 2 hour show." They seem to think that more time automatically translates into a better value.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7435 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Starrpower -

Let's assume this question is asked regarding a parlor show or a stage show (not strolling).

I've experienced this expectation when talking with prospects on the phone.

In my opinion, this problem occurs because of two things:

1) The prospect has not seen a live show before, nor has hired an entertainer before, and has no idea what length of show to expect.

You'll run into these type of prospects most responding to yellow page ads (but not only that type of advertising, though). These are often the prospects that have no idea at all how much an entertainer charges for a professional service. They understand an hourly wage at their own job, so that is the terms they speak in.

That is why they ask, "How much do you charge for an hour or two hour show?", right off the bat. (If they are calling about a children's / family event, they also don't understand about children's attention spans. If they ask about this for a mall show, they don't understand about how the traffic needs to flow at a mall. Etc. They just don't understand some things. That is why we have to educate them.)

In essence, they are a non-professional talent buyer. There's a killer thread on the Dean's List on the subject of non-professional talent buyers, and their buying criteria. Smile

2) The prospect is running a children's party, and is scared to death of how to manage this large group of children and how to occupy their attention. They are afraid the home will be torn apart, or the children will be bored (and that will reflect negatively on the host parent). I know this is a genuine fear, as I've asked prospects many times, and this is the answer I've been given.

- Donald

P.S. Let's assume this is a North American model to do shows that are only 30-45 minutes. In the UK, it's pretty standard for birthday events to have shows that are 1 or 2 hours.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » The "Time = value" myth (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL