The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Small imaginary coin routines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
sir_hugo
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of sir_hugo
My I humbly add my own version to the list?

It's called "Pre-Coin-Ition" and it uses real coins, not imaginary ones, but these can be the spectator's own. They are freely shaken by the spectator at the beginning of the routine, the spectator eliminates all but one and your business card, lying on the table has a clear and unambiguous prediction of the coin and the orientation written on it. The card can (always) be given to the spectator at the end of the routine. No switches. No gimmicks.

Check my sig for the link.

Cheers

Tom
Kevvy
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Kevvy
Bryn's "BusinessCoin Prediction" is quite clever. I didn't notice the gimmick until I read the instructions. I received it today, so I have to work with it a little more.

Tom Salinsky's "Pre-Coin-Ition" is good too. This variation isn't totally impromtu, but you are totally clean when you finish.

I prefer to use 4 coins when performing this type of effect.
rockbrunnen
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of rockbrunnen
Quote:

Check my sig for the link.

I can't access to magictricks.co.uk.
Could you please help?
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Thank you Elliot & Kevvy for you kind words, and WOW, I'm happy they arrived so fast!

As an FYI for a few who inquired, I was incorrect and CAN ship internationally from here (Iraq.) Unlike USA orders, though, I WOULD have to charge for shipping. It would be $3 for anywhere in the world. US orders are still free S&H. Thanks.

Bryn
Bryn D. Reynolds, Author of:
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls" Mentalism ebooks - PM any interest.
My artwork: https://darkmountainarts.com
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
I use the Nu version all the time impromptu using three imaginary coins. Works a treat and seems totally impossible, and leads me nicely into some other coin mentalism. I like the fact that it's all done in the hand as is a VERY quick way to get someones attention without having to do anything fiddly or require a surface.
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Listen, with the NU version, I add a twist: I load a nickel on their person, and an extra dime under a cup, or even in my pocket...

~If they say "quarter" I show it and forget the rest

~If they say nickel, I tell them to "imagine it leaving my hand,...and in your pocket...then I show the other 2 in the hand...

~If they say dime, I say "visualize another coin leaving with the dime..." now, if they say quarter, I show my hand...if they say nickel, I show the quarter and tell them that I have the dime and they have the nickel...

....get it???
Mishel
View Profile
New user
Israel
100 Posts

Profile of Mishel
I am not familiar with all the versions described in this thread.
I am familiar with Max Maven's Positive/Negetive and with the version described in this thread which I recall reading in the Café a long time ago also.

I actually came up with a nice ending regarding the head/tail side prediction.
You know those places that have a refrigirator magnet with a little marketing on the visible side?
Well, try to use this instead of a business card and see what happens when you flip the magnet.
The magnet is about the side of a business card and about the same thickness so it acts pretty much the same way as a cover for the coin.
Now when it comes time to reveal the coin, you can doit in two ways.
You can hold the coin down and remove the magnet and show the coin is heads up or you can flip the magnet (with the coin) to show the coin tails up.

Just an idea if you can inset the refrigirator magnet into the presentation.
Mishel.
Don't let the same dog bite you twice.
kozai
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of kozai
I do my own version of the coin routine using real coins as well, here are some ideas I came up with. Please let me know what you think. I will just say the effect here as to not give anything away, if you would like to use any part of it do feel free. The version I do can be 3 borrowed coins and has a nice bonus effect in the middle that I feel covers the handling quite well.

Title: COIN-INCIDENCE? I THINK NOT. (I rather like the name following the bad pun as a magic trick title rule, anyone know if it's taken? Smile

EFFECT:
First a business card is taken out and a prediction is written down with a marker, the prediction is sealed in a coin envelope and handed to the spectator. The marker is then left in full view. Next, the 3 different coins are displayed and the spectator is asked to make a selection. At this point you stop the spectator and remark that their selection is an interesting one (played off as an "are you also psychic?" or for a Derren Brown style "you may have been influenced while I was writing my prediction because look here...") You ask them to total the coins that they did not pick and then trade these for the marker which has been in view the entire time (no switch is made, there is only one marker.) Next, I like to patter it's remarkable as I just got this pen at the stationary store... you ask the spectator to check the price on the marker which is found to match exactly the amount given to you! Finally, you ask that the spectator mark a side of their coin and then ask them to remove the envelope. The _spectator_ opens the envelope, verifies there is only one card inside and then reads the prediction. The prediction, of course, shows you knew both the side and coin they would choose. The spectator can keep the business card prediction, coin, and even the marker (if you would like) as a memory of the performance.

I came up with this handling based off of Maven's P/N for a couple of reasons...

- I wanted this routine as an opener/opportunity to hand out a business card which P/N only allows for 50% of the time (and with the weaker ending too.) The fact that your business card and prediction can be kept is so key!

- I found people were not all that receptive to imaginary coins, it comes off as a bit of a strange request when first meeting someone. (My opinion only.)

- Use of real coins leaves evidence of the feat and for a few cents (if you are using your coins) you give them something they can keep.

- The bonus effect is 100% and works every time. For those of you who know how it works, you will also realize the value of the bonus marker price as it gives further reasoning behind your actions. It gives a feeling to the spectator that they also made a prediction themselves (without even knowing it) and they made the right choice. Alternatively, you can take the credit and say you influenced them and have the evidence to back it up (this handling was inspired by Derren Brown's Logo trick)

- No sleights involved and nothing is gaffed, everything is not only examinable but you can give it all away.

- If you need to borrow a marker (and can't write a price on it/stick a price sticker on it), handling can be changed a bit to still allow the bonus prediction.

Please let me know what you think!
parrisbrad
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of parrisbrad
I had performed Jay Sankey's Head's Up for several years. It is a wonderfully simple effect that never fails to get a wonderful reaction. When the outcome works out heads up, it really appears to be a miracle. However, if they call tails, the outcome it strong, but it doesn't have the maximum impact as the first. Either way, it is still very good and usable.
However, I recently purchased Buisness Coin Prediction from Bryn Reynolds. In my opinion, this effect is a much improved version of the one I have been performing. Now, the outcome is equally strong, both heads or tails. Also, the fact that the outcome is written in your handwriting, with emphasis put on the coin and the coin side is a sure fire improvement. The gimmick is wonderfully deceptive, and as stated earlier in this post, I didn't even notice it until I had read the instructions. Nice!!!!
Very little handling is involved here, and it is quite possible, without revealing the method, you won't have to do anything at all. It is also possible to make up your own gimmicks. This is one of those, "Why didn't I think of that?" improvements to an outstanding effect. I am glad you did Bryn!
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Brad:

I missed this post regarding my "BusinessCOIN Prediction."

Thank you very much for the review and I am glad the effect has found favor with you!

Bryn
Bryn D. Reynolds, Author of:
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls" Mentalism ebooks - PM any interest.
My artwork: https://darkmountainarts.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Small imaginary coin routines (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL