The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » New Topic section » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Hi to all and keep up the great work.

Could we have a new topic section Called "What is"

The idea is that many new magicians and even older ones come accross items like Zarrow shuffle, top change, back palm, Klondyke, Faro etc.

In that section can be an exlaination of what each is - not how to do it, but what it is.

E.G.

FARO SHUFFLE -

The faro, also known as the weave shuffle is a technique that perfectly interlaces the cards.
It is not in itself a false shuffle, but properly speaking a controlled shuffle.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
This isn't a bad idea. Could it include descriptions of standard plots - e.g. Wild Card, Ambitious Card, Coins Across etc?
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Come on Mods!

What do you think.

Paula
----
David Franklin
View Profile
New user
Jonesborough, TN
76 Posts

Profile of David Franklin
I think this a very worthy idea. The Magic Café Glossary as it were. It would be nice to have such a resource. Even after years in magic I still encounter terms that leave me wondering.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Sure could be useful and possible reduce some postings.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Good thinking here. Would it be in the secret session area?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4755 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
This is a very REAL possibility.
My question to you folks would be:
WHO is willing to sit down and complile AND verify all this great information?
At this point, I simply do NOT have the time.
Any volunteers?
:smoke:
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Paula, looks like this could be your baby. It's a great idea you have!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Steve

I am willing to do what I can.

I am not a great magical historian, but I am sure with Café members help we can put it together.

My initial thought would be a topic section in the open forum with just a description of the move/effect.

As it will be only descriptive and nothing "magical" will be revealed. Although certain things like T**** writers, Gaffed Pads Th*** T*** may cause an issue.

Like SO: -

Card shuffling has intrigued gamblers and well as magicians for years. The perfect shuffle has roots back to a very old card game called faro. It is stilled referred today to magicians as the faro shuffle. The faro shuffle is one in which the cards are cut into two equal stacks and then the cards are dropped one at a time and alternately from each stack. The deck must, if it contains an even number of cards, be divided exactly in half before the shuffle begins. The deck must be cut as nearly in half as possible if it contains an odd number of cards. With odd decks the smaller half (one card fewer) shuffles into the larger one so that the top and bottom cards of the larger half become the top and bottom cards of the deck after the faro shuffle is completed. With even decks you have a choice of dropping the first the bottom card of either half. If the first card to fall is from the half that was formerly the bottom of the deck, the cards previously at the top and the bottom of the deck will remain at the top and bottom. Magicians call this faro shuffle the "out-faro" because the top and bottom cards remain on the outside. If the first card to fall is from what was formerly the top half of the deck, the former top and bottom cards go into the deck to positions second from the top and bottom. Magicians call this the "in-faro."

For odd decks, a faro is an out-faro if it is cut below the centre card. This places the top card on the larger half, with the result that it remains the deck's top card after the shuffle. The faro is an in-faro if it is cut above the centre card. This places the top card on the smaller half, with the result that it becomes the second card after the shuffle. Both in-faro and out-faro shuffles of odd decks are called straddle shuffles. Edward Marlo, a Chicago card expert who has written several books on the faro shuffle, named this term.

Thanks to the University of Georgia for this write up.

After the description is made it would require tweaking to be 100% correct.

I suggest that only two entries are allowed in the thread itself.

1. A description.
2. Links and references to published works.

Any other ideas ---?

Paula
----
Laughing Otter
View Profile
Loyal user
Behind you!
205 Posts

Profile of Laughing Otter
What if:
Paula (or someone) comes up with the list of terms to be included in the glossary, perhaps soliciting suggestions from the membership.
Once the list is edited and posted, each of us takes one term and does the description and write-up.
Makes the task seem smaller when we have many hands on it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » New Topic section » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.39 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL