The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Tips? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagiclDave
View Profile
New user
Maryland
50 Posts

Profile of MagiclDave
I have a couple of questions, First, should I take tips while doing street magic? And if I do take tips what is the best way of getting those tips from the spectators hands into my pocket? If I were to put a hat out with a little bit of money some one would take it, if I were to just take the tips and put them in my pocket, that would look very unprofessional. So how would you take tips if you were preforming on the street?

-Dave Smile
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2002-08-23 14:58, MagiclDave wrote:
I have a couple of questions, First, should I take tips while doing street magic? And if I do take tips what is the best way of getting those tips from the spectators hands into my pocket? If I were to put a hat out with a little bit of money some one would take it, if I were to just take the tips and put them in my pocket, that would look very unprofessional. So how would you take tips if you were preforming on the street?

-Dave Smile

Dave,

You are talking about my favorite subject! Smile

By all means take tips!

There are two (common) ways to accept tips on the street, they are called a trickle and a flush.

A trickle is when you lay the hat (or similar receptical) out and do that thing you do and let passerby tip what they want. This is what most musicians do.

The second is a flush. A flush is when you do an entire show from between 10 minutes to a half hour and then pass the hat at the end of the show or just before your blow off (The carny in me won't let me call a blow off a grand finaly).

In my experience a flush is the way to go. Because during your show you make mention of the fact you will be passing the hat. You can also make mention how much folding money you like to get as a donation. If you do this well enough, are polite and witty about the way you ask, you will get what you ask for. I don't know why it works but it does.

A trickle on the other hand gets you a boat load of change. Change stinks. You are already lugging all your magic stuff, who wants to go home at the end of the day with 40 pounds of quarters.

But trickle or a flush if you get out there long enough you will need a bag to carry home your money. You will fill your pockets very quickly. If you do a show to a flush wait untill the audience leaves before counting and stashing your money. If you run a trickle use a big recepticle to hold the cash so that you don't have to empty it as often and also to keep the wind from blowing your bucks down the street (I lost a $20 drop that way about a month ago, and it hurt!)

If you can get a copy of Cellini's book "The Royal Touch" it is the best primer for this kind of stuff. Even Mr. Cellini's lecture notes have a million dollars worth of information on just this type of question. If you can find a copy of these notes or get a chance to see him lecture do it!

But most of all just get out there on the bricks and have at it! There is nothing better than the feeling you get bringing a good show to a bunch of folks who five minutes before hand had no idea they wanted to see one.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
I have watched street magi do this very thing – and the “flush” style always left a bad taste in my mouth.

I guess you need to ask yourself – If you are in it to entertain or to make money?

If its just a matter of being “tipped” by all means take it – learn some tricks with a single bill and give them an “extra” piece of magic for their money.

If you want to get “paid” for your effort – then personally, I would just leave a hat out – this gives passers by the choice to pay you for your effort rather than feel obligated or embarrassed if the hat comes by and they put noting in it. It also keeps them from feeling insulting if they chose not to pay you. It also allows them to pay you – when they feel they are ready – rather than being told. After all, they are not obligated to pay you at all – so you should make them feel as comfortable as possible.

My two cents….

Good luck,
DanielMooncalf
View Profile
Regular user
Kansas City
113 Posts

Profile of DanielMooncalf
I guess it depends on how you flush... One guy says "Thank you all for watching, it is now time to pass my hat. Please realize this is how I make my living, and if you can afford it, throw in a ONE, or throw in a FIVE to show your appreciation. If you can't afford it, but still want to show appreciation, just tell me how good a show it was. Thank you, and feel free to come back anytime."
Bird Brain
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Bird Brain
Dave,

I would by all means accept tips! It's cool, you can make money if you're good, and it gives the crowd a way to show their appreciation.... Smile
Well, OK, I know that sounds corny, but still, you've got a skill that few people have, you end up working HARD to show people that skill, and I think that it's not a problem for people to show they appreciate your efforts... Smile

And did I say it's cool to get paid to do something fun? Smile

I have a spray painted chamber pot (never been used) and I work in "don't be a party pooper" in my pitch for tips (said in fun, of course!) Smile Smile

My soul is still in 5th grade! Lol!

Josh
Yes I know my enemies
They're the teachers who taught me to fight me
Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission
Ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite
All of which are American Dreams, All of which are American Dreams
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2002-08-30 17:50, DavidKenney wrote:
I have watched street magi do this very thing – and the “flush” style always left a bad taste in my mouth.

I guess you've never seen it done well then. In my show people are thrilled to put money in my hat.

The greatest street magicians in the world (Guys like Gazzo and Cellini) work a flush.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Young David Kenney poses the question – “I guess you need to ask yourself – If you are in it to entertain or to make money?”

David, that is not a mutually exclusive proposition! I believe that the better entertainers tend to make the better money over the long haul.

I don’t know why else to perform magic in public! Restaurant, kid shows, Las Vegas stage, county fairs, festivals, and streets are about earning a living trying to entertain.

Honestly, I perform to make money. I work very hard to get paying gigs. On the street I work even harder gathering a tip, keeping the tip, and pitching the tip. I would not put up with the abuse that sometimes comes with the street-performing scene without being paid.

I know that some people are offended by any type of street performer and see them as just a step above beggars. Still it is an honorable and honest way to earn a living.

Frankly, I have never been offended by a heavy final pitch or flush toward the end of an act. But then I have been there and I appreciate the artistry that goes into a truly effective flush.

Street musicians, who do a grind show (continuous, non-stop performance) are almost forced to use the trickle to earn their tips. Magicians on the other hand have a beginning, middle, and end to their show and build to a climax. The flush is more logical and natural. It also helps turn the crowd.

Playing magic for the sake of playing magic (that is to entertain myself) is something I do in the privacy of my own home. Performing magic is something I try to do for pay!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Bird Brain
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Bird Brain
I would also add to mumblepeas' post that making money doing street magic is really FUN!

Yeah yeah yeah!

Gimmie money (Lol),
Bird Brain
Yes I know my enemies
They're the teachers who taught me to fight me
Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission
Ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite
All of which are American Dreams, All of which are American Dreams
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
ALWASE TAKE A TIP IF IT IS OFFERED!! It is unbelevably rude not to Smile
whether to solicit tips, trickle or flush is another thing. most circle shows do a flush as it helps finsh the show, BUT this must be part of your act, if not you may be disapointed. If you want to try it but don't hav a street act yet try the trical and do your best to watch other performers, learn the mechanics of how a show works then try to work your show to fit the style you prefer.

To Any one who looks down at what I (we) do I say this, that street performing is the purist form of theater left. If you go to a b-way show you pay befor you go in, and if the seats are dirty, the actors don't care. And if the actors drop a line the ushers dont care, and if the script is bad the ticket person dosent care, and if the costumes don'tfit right the set person dosent care. after all this If you did not like the show, now one cares as it was some one else's falt, and you ALREADY PAYED.
I am the USHER
I am the ACTOR
I am the WRITER
I am the COSTUME PERSON
I am the SET PERSON
And last I am the TICKET PERSON.
And I don't get paid if you don't like my show. I put my monny and reputation where my mouth is, the only buck passing is to be into my hat.
sory for the rant but I love street performing, making monney is fun, right Brain Smile
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2002-09-05 00:29, Pokie-Poke wrote:
most circle shows do a flush as it helps finsh the show, BUT this must be part of your act, if not you may be disapointed.

This may be some of the best advice offered in this thread.

it must be a part of your act.

I have money lines throughout my act. They are all funny, lighthearted, comments that let the spectators know that at the end of my show I will pass the hat.

When I run my hat line at the end of the show and doff my chapeau NO ONE should be surprised or feel intimidated. They all knew it was coming. It has been a running part of the show.

Thanks for pointing that out Pokie, sometimes what should be obvious is the most over looked.

Best,

Dan-

Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
It is only obvious to us because we've bin there, Dave is new to this part of the performance and may not understand why a flush may not work for him.

A frend of mine who has seen my strret show says she can see every hole in my act where the monny lines go!

think of monny lines as a running joke, with the rules of 3s and 5s. and you should be ok.
(I would stick to 3s unless your show is real long or you realy know how to put over a joke, at witch case you'll be doing stand up Smile Smile Smile
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Tips? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL