The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Real vs. Fake Fruit for OLEP? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
What do you prefer to use in your OLEP routine....real or fake fruit? What are your pros and cons?
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
879 Posts

Profile of sperris
I use fake fruit, I make it myself and it's nested, etc. I just made a set for Zaubern, he's on the forum, he'll tell you about them too, IM me if you're interested.

SperriS
DANSPERRY.COM
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I think the fake fruit is fine if it made properly.

I remember to talking with one of the guys that was part of "Illusions by your Design" in Las Vegas. He said he had some very good fake fruit but I did not have the need.

Blowing eggs is one thing, but peeling all those lemons and grapefruits is nuts.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
Yup Dan just made me a set and it's fantastic. Normally I use the real deal but as it turns out I will be performing my OLEC routine for a week long run and it is just more practical for me to use fake fruit at that point. I could not imagine doing all the set up for a weeks worth of shows! My routine is complicated enough as it is with all the other bits! If you are looking for a good fake, I would highly recommend Dan as a source.
Zaubern Smile
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
I have seen the fruit that Dan makes and it is really great.

MDS
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
I'm interested in knowing more about the fake fruit for the OLEC. Dan can you send me some info on what is you're selling. I love doing the trick, but as hugmagic said, it's a pain (literally under the nails) preparing the fruit all the time. If you have a decent alternative, I'd sure like to see it.

Thanks, Rob
Salazar Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
New Jersey
344 Posts

Profile of Salazar Magic
Can you send me pictures?
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
This may sound dumb but...
What do you use with the fake fruits to hold it all together before cutting?
My guess was Elmers glue or magi-wax. I am clueless.

Bryan
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
512 Posts

Profile of damien666
It depends what the fake fruit is made out of... If it is latex, you could use rubber cement to glue the edges together. I find that latex wears out and degrades over time though. If you can get someone who knows how to make a mold and work with silicone, that would be ideal... Silicone lasts a very long time. The only thing is, nothing sticks to silicone BUT silcone. You could use a medical adhesive to stick the edges of silicone fruit temporarily together. Try going to a local theatrical make-up store and ask for 'Pros Aid' or 'Telesis 5 Silicone adhesive'. These are both used by the SPFX make-up industry to attach silicone or Foam latex prosthetic appliances to actors in the film industry. I think it would work ideally for gluing fake fruit together. Plus it would be relatively easy to clean to keep the fruit looking in good shape. Good Luck,
Damien
Antoine
View Profile
Regular user
Northern France
104 Posts

Profile of Antoine
Dan I'm interseted in your fake fruits too. Would you please send me an e mail at antoineleduc@wanadoo.fr ?

Thanks.
implicit
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of implicit
I think if you can use real fruit, use real fruit, It really looks much nicer.
Crispy
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
207 Posts

Profile of Crispy
I vanish a fake lemon and egg, but use real fruit for the nested fruit. I've also never found a problem finding large oranges for this (the sunkist oranges at the supermarket are always huge). It's finding a decent lemon that I always had problems with.

I will have to saw that it is a long process hollowing out the orange and lemon with a spoon, letting it dry out, and then elmer gluing it together.

If you can give me more info on the fake nesting fruit, I'd appreciate it. My e-mail is Mrcrispy1979@aol.com

Norm Neilson could make a decent amount if he added suck products to his latex line. Maybe he has stock in Sunkist and wants us to keep purchasing fruit!

Cris
Moonmagick
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
30 Posts

Profile of Moonmagick
I have used both real and fake fruit and in my opinion there is no substitute for real fruit! The illusion is stronger for the audience because they can see the spray and smell of the fruit when I cut it and I get really close to the edge of the stage when I do this so that they can get a close look. I sometimes cut a piece off and toss it into the audience for inspection. This is what has always made this trick a miracle! The fact that it's real! Guys, you miss the whole point. Yes it is a lot of prep and expensive, I have done this 3 shows a day 6 nights a week, I prep 6 at a time and keep them in the fridge, they stay fresh for at least 3 days. Yes, I do understand that it may be too much work for some of you, but if you really love the effect and want to have it as part of your show than you should be willing to do the prep. Beside I have yet to see fake fruit that looks real and you cannot see the lines. Another advantage to real fruit is the nice spiral cut that you can do for the reveal which is very strong. You can't do that with fake fruit. With my prep, I could hold it right in front of your face and you will not see the cuts. You could use it in a close up situation.
I have studied this effect for 30 years and peforming it for 20. I've pretty much tried everything out there.
Luna
Live on the edge of your dreams, balance on a thread, fall into the void, get out of your head.
Crispy
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
207 Posts

Profile of Crispy
Thanks Luna. I remember the first time I saw this illusion was when I was a kid and went to see Copperfield when he was in town. I think you are right. I remember thinking, "So that canary was in the egg, that was in the lemon, that was in the orange, that was sitting there the entire time?" Even with the real egg, if you use fake fruit it's a little more like peeling a bird out of some latex devices . . . the elegance of the effect is gone.

Even with the big illusions in my show, I've had several people come up to me and tell me that the OLEC was the "highlight" of my act. After your post, I think I am going to stick with the real fruit for the nested fruit. Why mess with a good thing.

Sometimes when analyzing a choice, I think you have to stop thinking like a magician, which is hard for many of us to do. Thanks once again Luna. Now if I can only master that spiral cut, that will make the reveal that much more impressive!

Cris
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Given a choice, I would always vote for the real thing. The only time I use fake fruit is when it is gimmicked. But I am also known for making gimmicks from real fruit and veggies. I have even had others laugh at me in the 80s because I used real eggs when I really had a choice. I do use blown eggs frequently. But I like to touch things that are real. Perhaps we send that message to the audience too!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Crispy
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
207 Posts

Profile of Crispy
The lemon and egg I use for the vanish are fake, but they both look like the real thing. Fake fruit has come a long way since the bowl of plastic fruit you always saw on your grandma's table. The fact that the fake lemon is hollow and light makes the vanish easier also. I also have a Styrofoam half-carton that I put my fake eggs in. When I do the vanish, I remove one of the eggs from the carton and vanish it. I think it helps emphasize ahead of time that it is an egg, so the audience is not thinking, "What is he doing with that ping pong ball up there?" lol

The other magician in town that does this effect, I noticed that he actually sews his orange closed instead of gluing it (or rather, I imagine his poor wife probably does). Now that is an elaborate setup!

Cris
JimmyH
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of JimmyH
I would recomend using Real fruit....Yes it is a Pain to do, but the effect as you all know is worth it. I do prepare the fruit but I find I cannot hide the seams were I cut and prepared the fruit, so I am always performing this trick with the seams facing me. Does any one have any new ideas on how to prepare the fruit so it somewhat looks normal and can be pretty much shown all around to the audience?

Jimmyh
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
I would agree, the real stuff looks great, I only got fake fruit because I am doing a long run of shows with this effect and it is must more practical to use fake fruit. If it was just one show, I would go with the real fruit.
Zaubern Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Real vs. Fake Fruit for OLEP? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL