We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Why do some of you......... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
Hello again everyone

I dont know if this is the right place to post this but if not it will get moved.

I was ready some other posts and it sound like a lot of you like to read magic books instead of watching videos.

My question is

Why do some of you like to read magic books more than watching magic videos?

I like videos a lot more then books.
How do you know what the move or trick you are learning is suppose too look like if you just read it? Video is the way to go I think.

Yes some books are really good but still hard to visualize what the trick is suppose too look like.

What do you think?

Brad Smile
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
It's only difficult when you are starting with books in time it becomes easier than video, you do not pick up the other performers style or manerisms as with video.
Books are far more convenient. My wife would soon tire of magic videos if I watched as much as I read!
Also it allows for more detail to be explained, Origin References, variations and the all important IMAGINATION!
phillip
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
Here's an example.

For a few years, I've had John bannons "impossibilia" video.

And, it's really good! One of the effects I loved from the tape was John's version of cutting the aces called "directed verdict".

Recently I bought the book "Smoke and Mirrors" and there is something like 3-4 different handlings for the same effect! I guess the constraints of video only allowed for one handling to be shown.

But with the book, I get much more "bang for the buck" because the book contains 30+ routines that I can come back to at my leisure without having to be in the vincinity of a VCR or DVD player. It's near impossible for any one video to contain the detailed content of a well written book. Well illustrated books *like the aforementioned "smoke and mirrors"* make it pretty easy to perform the "work" without necessarily having to see it on video.

I really enjoy that I can take a book with me to the beach or a park and practice the effects. So far, video doesn't really allow that unless I want to drag a laptop computer with me to play dvds. Smile
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
Jim Morton
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Jim Morton
Quote:
Yes some books are really good but still hard to visualize what the trick is suppose too look like.

Brad,

Ironically, you have actually stumbled on the very thing that makes books superior to videos. By learning from a video there is a tendency to assume that what you are seeing is the way an effect is "suppose" to look. the end result of this type of thinking is a bunch of folks doing effects exactly the same way that Michael Ammar does the same tricks.

With books, things aren't so cut and dried. They make you examine everything and play around with the handling more. They also leave more room for interpretation, allowing the magician to modify things for his/her own technique. The end result is more originality and creativity.

There is also the matter of bang for the buck. You get more for your money with books. Compare the price of one Easy-to-Master Card Miracles tape to the price of Hugard's Encyclopedia of Card Tricks and you'll see what I mean.

Jim Morton
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
You might ask if all the material on all videos is "the way it is supposed to look?" It isn't, for a variety of reasons. Unfortunately, you can be easily caught up in aspiring to do things the way the creator never intended- and lose the context in the process.

Aside from the better value of books, the majority of the worthwhile ideas in magic are available in no other format.
Victor Brisbin
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC / NOVA
432 Posts

Profile of Victor Brisbin
The thread Mr. Wakeman refers to above really deserves a look. Rather than rehashing the books -v- video argument here, I would say that if one spends the time to mine the treasures that are in your magic books and magazines, the very process of reading, working it out, and visualizing the effect puts you ahead of the person who watches a demonstration on video, and then proceeds to copy it. Reading is more difficult, but then if everyone found Magic "Easy to Master," it would cease to be Magic, wouldn't it? Smile
"It is better to practice a little than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
Dave Egleston
View Profile
Special user
Ceres, Ca
632 Posts

Profile of Dave Egleston
Re: " "Easy to Master" would cease to be magic"
Man why can't I think of something like that - Nice turn of pharse Vic

Very accurate - This is exactly why Nathaniel Hawthorne is no longer a bestseller - but - bookstores can't keep a hack like Danielle Steele on the shelves

Somewhat like "Ice Breakers" vs. "The Cardician"

Dave
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
This has been discussed extensively already in several other areas. See Mr. Wkeman's link above. Also, I believ a VERY similar topic exists in the "new to Magic" section. Please direct any further comments to the pre-existing topics.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Why do some of you......... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL