The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » World record breaking escapes for charity - Press release » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi everyone

The below will be released to the press tommorow, but I thought you would all appreciate an advance look. The email address and website are not live yet, but they will be in the next few hours.

Circus performer to smash four world records and raise thousands for homeless charity

In an effort to raise £10,000 for the homeless charity The Big Issue, circus sideshow performer and escape artist David Straitjacket, who performs with The Freakshow and The Straitjacket Circus, will attempt to break four world records in one day, at the Arndale Centre, Manchester. The attempt will take place on the 15th January 2005. The event starts at 11am and goes on throughout the day.

David will attempt to set a new Guinness world record for escaping from a regulation straitjacket, and follow the stunt up by setting another record by escaping from the same jacket just a short while later, but this time with a new twist. He will be precariously balanced on stilts at the time! David is currently one of only a few people known to be able to free themselves from the Posey Straitjacket*, and the only person in the world who can escape from the restraint whilst balancing on stilts.

“The Posey straitjacket is unlike any medical restraint you are likely to have seen before. It has a series of security features which are not found in any other straitjacket and is a nightmare for any escape artist” said David, “Just escaping from it at all is a very difficult undertaking, but to do so once in record time, and then again while balancing on stilts will be a unique challenge. It’s going to be a very exciting day.”

The escapology records also commemorate the legend of Harry Houdini, who died in suspicious circumstances during Halloween in 1926.

Following the two straitjacket world record attempts David will then attempt a third amazing record challenge, this time attempting to break the world record for the fastest ever handcuff escape. The current record for this escape stands at just 10 seconds**. David will attempt to beat this time with a set of handcuffs borrowed from the Greater Manchester police force, the cuffs will also be checked by an independent assessor, and have the keyholes sealed to ensure that keys and picks cannot be used.

As if that is not enough David will end the day with a truly life threatening challenge. An attempt to break the world record for the bed of nails concrete block break. This record currently stands at 314.21 kg’s, and David will attempt to raise the figure to a massive 350 kg’s, that’s about the same weight as a small motorboat or a full grown male polar bear! In order to beat the record David will have all the blocks placed on his chest while he lies on the sharp bed containing several hundreds nails, the blocks will then be broken one by one with the aid of a sledgehammer until everyone single one is pulverised and David (hopefully) walks away with the fourth record of this amazing day.

David said, “This is the one that really scares me, for the other records failure would be embarrassing, with the risk of serious injury in the case of the stiltwalking escape. But for this one, failure could quite literally be deadly. Just the weight of the blocks alone is enough to crush a man, throw in the bed of sharp 6 inch nails and over a hundred impacts with a heavy sledgehammer and you have something awesome. I feel I am ready for this, but it will be the biggest challenge of my life, and I honestly don’t know what will happen at the end of it all. We shall see”

David will have a full medical team on site at all times, with the local hospital kept fully informed.

This time of the year is especially important for The Big Issue, The cold months of January and February are doubly hard on the UK’s estimated 380,000 homeless people*** who face an increasing challenge for their survival. It is hoped that this record will not only raise funds to help provide important medical treatment, shelter, food and housing, but that it will also help to raise awareness of this often ignored issue.

For more information, to make a donation and for sponsorship please visit the website at:
http://www.thebigrecord.com

Contacts:

Performers
Contact name: David Straitjacket
Tel: 0161 283 8658
Mobile: 07986 235192
Email: david@thefreakshow.co.uk
Web: http://www.thefreakshow.co.uk

Event management
Contact name: Tony Hancock
Address: Events 21. Hyde Park House, Cartwright St, Hyde, Cheshire, SK14 4EH
Tel: 0161 367 1228
Mobile: 07906 440906
Email: tony@events21.com
Web: http://www.events21.com

Big Issue fundraising
Contact name: Emma or Tamara
Address: The Big Issue in the North, 135-141 Oldham St, Manchester, M4 1LL
Tel: 0161 279 7812
Mobile: 07969 636318
Web: http://www.bigissueinthenorth.com

Sources.
* The JT Posey Company: 5635 Peck Rd. Arcadia, CA 91006-0020, USA
**Guinness World Records Ltd, 8th Floor, 338 Euston Rd, London NW1 3BD
***Crisis, 66 Commercial Street, London E1 6LT. TEL: 0870 011 3335 

PLEASE NOTE: Reporters, journalists and other interested parties are free to use quotes from the above as long as we are informed of publication. We can also supply a variety of photos for publication if you require: bigrecord@thefreakshow.co.uk
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Hey Straitjacket Guy,
Your press realease shows what a "REAL PRO" you are.Keep up the good work as I know you will.
The best to you and your record breaking event,
Don
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
Wahey! Good luck with all the attempts, and cool PR!

Hope I can make it across the Pennines to see you do it all come the day, sounds like quite a show Smile
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Thanks Don and Helen Smile

I have been working on this for quite some time, it great to finally be able to set the day.

And Mr Stuart Burrell, thank you for being so kind when I mentioned that I was thinking of attempting to break your record. Not only was Stuart more than happy for me to try, but he has helped me in my dealings with Guinness, and generally been great all round. I owe you one buddy Smile

Before the record website gets moved over to its proper server, I have put a test copy of the site at:

http://www.thefreakshow.co.uk/bigrecord

Please note, though all the pages are there it is not totally complete, and there is still proof reading to be done, so there may well be some mistakes.

Hope you like it.

David Straitjacket
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I can sense Riley is going to Try and Be There this is one not to be missed
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
Man, I wish I could be there to watch it! I wish you the best of luck not only in attempting to beat those records, but in your mission to increase the awareness of all the homeless and raise money for them.
If it is to be, it is up to me.
escapologist2001
View Profile
Regular user
Connah's Quay, Wales, UK
127 Posts

Profile of escapologist2001
The very best of luck !!

The date is already in my diary - I'll be there.

Anything I can do to help, let me know.

Robin
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

Profile of Stuart Burrell
Go for it David,

If anyone can pull it off (no pun intended) you can!
WEASEL DANDAW
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of WEASEL DANDAW
As Stuart said, "Go for it David".

I wish you the very best in all your attempts and don't forget your photographer.

Hope to see you at the UKEA,

Weasel
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Good luck! Please keep us posted with the results.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Good luck David. Now I'm living in Liverpool I'll certainly be popping over to lend my support.

Good Luck!

Roslyn
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
Seems like there's a mini-convention building to watch this event; maybe we can all meet up to congratulate David afterwards Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5307 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Good Press Release! Great idea! I wish I was there to cheer you on. Good Luck and break a chain!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Best of luck David. 4 times the fun!

PS. Be careful with that block and nail thing.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
930 Posts

Profile of Riley
Quote:
On 2004-10-10 20:52, The Donster wrote:
I can sense Riley is going to Try and Be There this is one not to be missed

I've put the date in my diary.
Good luck David -- and well done in advance.
Manchester in my home town. I remember when the Arndale Centre was a chip shop Smile

Riley
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Best of luck David. It's a fantastic effort for a very noble cause. Make us all proud buddy!!!Wish I could be there.
Best regards, Tony Parisi
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Quote:
On 2004-10-11 11:53, HelenHeld wrote:
Seems like there's a mini-convention building to watch this event; maybe we can all meet up to congratulate David afterwards Smile

You're on!

Roslyn
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
David,

That's some goal you've set for yourself,
four records broken and set in one day!
Would love to be there to cheer you on,it's
a Great cause, so put your heart into it,and
it will take them 10 days to count the money!!
YOU CAN DO IT,DAVID,.....BELIEVE IT !!!

May It Be The BEST Day In Your Life So Far,

Steve Baker, MR. ESCAPE
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Good luck Bro, I'll be thinking about you Smile

So much for me shooting for Stu's record Smile
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Thanks again for the amazing support everyone Smile I will keep you all informed as I have more info.

All I know right now is its going to be a hell of a ride for the next few months.

Fitting in training is going to be the hardest part, what with all the organizational issues, and the fact that I have 22 gigs in December alone, I might have to set a world record for the best time management between now and then.

Quote:
------------------------------------------------------

On 2004-10-11 11:53, HelenHeld wrote:
Seems like there's a mini-convention building to watch this event; maybe we can all meet up to congratulate David afterwards

------------------------------------------------------

Either that, or you can all bring flowers to the hospital!

KingStardog, believe me, I will be very careful indeed. I am not the usual big guy that attempts bed of nails records, so that one is going to be extra hard on me.

Cheers

David Straitjacket

My Website
Add me on facebook
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » World record breaking escapes for charity - Press release » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL