The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Legal Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Verno Inferno
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
132 Posts

Profile of Verno Inferno
I hope that you've decided to let it go. I'd even call the guy and apologize. Tell him that you thought about it, and that you probably should have done something to rectify the situation (even if you couldn't at the time). Then tell him you understand why he decided to let you go, and that you already have a new job lined up. Then you may have preserved the only thing of value from this job: the ability to put it on your resume, and have a work reference in the future. Just an option. He's probably too much of an idiot to appreciate your apology---as restaurant managers tend to be (no offense to you decent managers out there)---but could be worth a shot.

Hope the AMC thing turns out okay! Sounds like a much better gig!
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
AJOJRF - I live in Cheshire, UK.

Tony.
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
Walk away.
Put your energy into finding a new and better job.
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
Wow...Lots of things to comment on. About me possibly getting in trouble; Im not worried about it in the slightest. Im 17 and Im doing the IRS a favor by reporting it. I could simply say I didn't even know it was illegal untill later. Im sure that wouldnt be a problem.

Someone suggested calling or showing up and appologizing. I was told if I came into the store he would call the police. It wasnt like he just fired me...I really wouldnt have been suprised if he had gotten physical. He was a LOT more than just upset. Im not ever getting that job back (nor do I even want it)

Im also not mad at my friend. I know what he did was stupid...But even if he thought "This might get me fired" he would never expect ME to get fired as well. (Because that would make no sense)

I also would NEVER appologize simply because I did nothing wrong. Maybe if I had kids to feed and a house to pay for I would belittle myself like that...But seeing as Im 17 and its not a huge deal, he can kiss my a** Smile

I think Im just going to let it go because I have an interview tomorrow and Im pretty sure Ill get the job. If I don't, I might persue it. (Me losing my job can make it so Ill have to cancel my car insurance and possibly cancel my trip to MA for Hank Lee's convention...So I would be pretty bitter)

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

James
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Walk away. And get your taxes paid up. You want the IRS on your side when this guy gets his.
Think about five years from now and whether or not you would be proud of the actions you take today.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Just walk away kid. Don't worry about the taxes. One months worth of taxes from a 17 year old earning minimum wage ain't worth arguing over.

As for him, just stay out of his restaurant and encourage others to do the same. You probably should also call the Health Inspector and let him know that the guy has employees that are licking the silverware while it is on the buffet table.Smile There is no telling what could be transmitted THAT way. (Just food for thought there)
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Welshwizard
View Profile
Loyal user
Wales
292 Posts

Profile of Welshwizard
You worked illegally so reporting the restaurant should drop you and your friends in the sh*t. Count yourself lucky you didn't have an accident while working illegally. Basically you are as much in the wrong as the owner.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
How about, if you feel that you have to take revenge, you could do something constructive. Sounds weird, but here is an example.

Years ago a friend of mine had a rotten episode with a landlady. He was a graduate student at the time, and had done his undergraduate work at Harvard. Harvard asked him to help with minority recruitment, so he had a black student staying at his place for a couple of days as a guest to show him around Harvard. In the morning, he and his wife had to get off to an early start and left their guest sitting there waiting for his first appointment at 10 AM. He got a call at work from the police. The landlady had seen the kid sitting there reading the paper and called the police because there was a young black man in their apartment (obviously a criminal). So the cops had shown up and challenged the kid, and he had them call his host. I bet that he didn't go to Harvard.

My friend was furious, and moved out of the apartment right away. He wanted to do something to even the score, so I suggested that he donate $25 to the United Negro College Fund in his landlady's name. I'm sure that she got a nice thank-you note acknowledging her efforts in promoting higher education, and probably got more solicitations from similar groups. If there is any chance that she could ever examine her actions, this might have prompted some thinking. I doubt it. At least the charity benefited.

So maybe your former boss would be an appropriate target for something like this. Find a charity doing something constructive that rubs him the wrong way and send them a donation in his name. It might not do him any good, but at least the charity benefits, and you did something positive instead of destructive.

Yours,

Paul
Verno Inferno
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
132 Posts

Profile of Verno Inferno
My suggestion of apologizing is simply a way to get the most out of the situation for you. It's a selfish manuever. It has nothing to do with whether your manager was a jerk or not. It has everything with putitng yourself in the best position possible, rather than worrying about bringing someone else down (that gets you nothing). This is why pride is often such a counterproductive feeling, in my opinion. Seeking revenge does nothing to benefit your position. A strategic apology/phone call would perhaps benefit you.

Anyway, thanks for adding the part about how heated the firing became. That's further proof that either (1) you are completely leaving out a whole side of this story, or (2) you are much better off not working for this guy.
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
Yeah, everytime I tell the story to someone they think Im leaving some of it out. don't get me wrong, I completely see why you would think that and if I were you, Im sure I would think the same. But then again, why would I come on a web site and leave part of it out? If I was in the wrong why would I even bring it up? That truly is how it happened so yes, I think I am better off just not working for him.

Again, Im 17...I have nothing to fear about working of the books. If the government prosecuted those who turned in such behavior, nobody would ever report it. By reporting them you are doing the government a favor.

But Ive decided (with the help of people here) that Im just going to let it go. Maybe someone else will turn him in at some other time. Thanks everyone.

James
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Legal Question (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL