The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring-And-String Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
KidMagic87
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of KidMagic87
Are there any good sources for a ring-and-string routine (for finger rings). Anything better than Gregory Wilson's video, or is that all that's good?
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
MagicTony
View Profile
New user
Kenosha, WI
25 Posts

Profile of MagicTony
Don't forget the best of them all: Bob Miller's Relentless Ring and String Routine!

http://www.bobmillermagic.biz
Feral Chorus
View Profile
Elite user
CA
469 Posts

Profile of Feral Chorus
To reiterate, Ring Leader is all its cracked up to be. Miller's Relentless R&S is very good as well. Karl's suggestions are all very worthy of investigation.

In addition, rountines by Jay Scott Berry (Symphony on the Ring and Ribbon), Scott Guinn (Great Scott's Symphony for Ring and String), and Dan Garrett (Faustus Ring) are all excellent.

Perform a search for more specifics on each routine.

I don't think you will go wrong with any of these routines and it will probably come down only to personal preference in choosing which one you ultimately use.

-Feral
Scott Horn
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, TX
395 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
I would highlight Dan Garrett's Faustes ring. Its on his Close Up Connivery video. Its a great routine that works well with plain band rings (e.g. man's wedding band) versus a signet ring.
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
Speaking strictly as an amateur magish, I would recommend The Restaurant Magic of Dan Fleshman, volume 1, which has many great basic routines, including sponge bunnies, a good rope routine - and Ring and String Flight. I am in the process of learning the middle section (see more below), as a complement to my card effects.
Ring and String Flight is a very nice series of routined effects that lasts about 5 minutes or so. There are 3 sections - first a ladies' ring changes places with the magician's ring, then a string penetrates through the magician's ring, back and forth in 2 different ways. Finally, the ladies' ring is produced from a key case.
I like this series of effects a lot, and would overall recommend it, but with a few caveats:
It took me 30 minutes of running the DVD through Windows Media Player slow motion to get the string penetration, because I don't think Dan explained all his moves clearly, and a key move was shown with his hand rotated 90 degrees for a better view. I found it visually confusing, BUT once I saw what was being done, it was very easy to learn. AND, I think it is a great little effect, with magic using your hand as a stage, as Dan points out - well worth the effort.
The very first section, in which the woman's ring is vanished, includes a shtick of holding a cigarette lighter to a woman's ring - it's funny in Dan's handling, but I could never in a million years do this effect, as it takes just the right persona to make this come off without seeming to be a nasty magician. Dan is able to do so, but I don't think everyone could.
These DVDs are expensive - about $100 retail for the set. Keep an eye out for them on eBay or right here, would be my suggestion. (The 3rd DVD is mostly Ninja Rings and the 2nd volume mostly cards, if I recall correctly).
With those caveats in mind, I think nonetheless, that the Ring and String Flight is a great routine, particularly for the ring and string middle section, between the vanish at the start and production at the end of the lady's ring. One final piece of advice - get yourself a brightly colored (e.g. yellow) thick shoelace (sports type) - it is great for this type of work.
Hope this helps.
kerpa
a/k/a Michael Miller
Chicago area
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
All of the above suggestions are great suggestions. If you take the time to read and work with all of these routines, you will probably find that you borrow from one or more of the routines and come up with a routine that is the best. That is, one that is personal to you!!

Bob Miller admits as much in his video ("Relentless Ring & String") where he states that very little of his routine was original to him and that he borrowed a little here and a little there to eventually come up with his own routine. And to Bob's great credit, he gives extensive credit to all the magicians whose moves or ideas he utilized in his own routine; his bibliography at the end of the video is a superb reference for most of the great ring and string routines out there.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
My advice would be to collect as many as possible, write down all the moves and routining ideas you like then come up with the routine that suits YOU.

You might end up doing Ring Leader move for move but at least you'll be able to play around with it.

I combine my ring on string routine with ringscape. I started with a large metal ring then, to make it 'harder' I use THEIR ring.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10768 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I have two original moves I use for my ring and string routine, Bob Miller was impressed with them and will be introducing them on his up coming DVD.
If interested PM me with your e mail address and I will send demos.
These two effect are also on my Godfather dvd
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of Philippe
I have refrained from mentioning a super little item that is cheeky but just beautiful to watch and perform. It lacks any moves that you would expect when viewing this, which you can at magicbox.uk.com look for swing ring. I held back because of its simplicity but as a ring on off effect, you will like it a lot I venture.
Docc Spurlock
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago & Arizona
174 Posts

Profile of Docc Spurlock
I think Jim Ryans ring and rope routine is one of the best. But that is my opinion.
"CREATOR OF THE FLOATING FLAME TO DOVE"

If you are always looking back you can't see what's in front of you so when you bump your head again you have no one to blame but yourself!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3456 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2004-10-30 19:50, spurlock wrote:
I think Jim Ryans ring and rope routine is one of the best. But that is my opinion.

Hey, Mr. Magician> you're making a lot of one line postings today...it would be interesting to know why you think Ryan's routine is better than other?
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10768 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I never heard of Jim Ryans ring and rope routine. I
Have seen many ring and rope effects and I too would be very interested if there is any new material that has not been done before..
vinny
Come check out my magic.

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Hey Vinny. I just bought the Godfather DVD.
Looking forward to it.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10768 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Thanks Frank for supporting my work ,
let me know what you think of my two effects on the dvd ,ring on the flying trapeze and ring penetration from the middle of the string.
vinny
ps any ine interested in seeing this demo, pm me with e mail address.............
Come check out my magic.

Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2004-10-30 19:50, spurlock wrote:
Jim Ryans..
Isn't that the one using a borrowed fingerring, a wand and a rope?

In that case it is GREAT, when done well..

Oh, BTW. Joachim Solberg did it way back in around 1986, I've it on tape and is is really good!!!
He did it for me after being back from a trip to the States and surely has picked it up there...
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10768 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Joachim Solberg is a excellent roptician.. another magician comes to mind is Flip he's one of the most creative ,.and his rope moves are used by many of the top magicians including Tabary.

vinny
Come check out my magic.

rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
Vinny,

Where can I order the Godfather dvd ? As I told you beforewe don't have paypal in the Philippines. Gotta have that one Vinny. Take care!

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Just watched it Vinny.
I really like the penetration and your ring moves
are good too.

I will certainly incorporate them if I ever get off my butt and get my ring/string performance ready.

I'm going to try that penetration right now if I can find a rubberband.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Jim Ryan Ring, Rope and Stick routine is one of the best I have ever seen. It's in Jerry Mentzer's magic with finger rings book.

Basically, here's what happens. You are facing a pair of spectators. You borrow a finger ring from one of them. You tie it onto a shoelace, string or rope. Each of them takes one end of the rope in one hand, whichever hand is closer to you as they face one another. You have a wand or stick under your left arm. You take the wand in your right hand and have them hold the ends of the wand with their free hand. At this point, the setup is -- Spectators are holding ends of rope and ends of wand. Your left hand is around the knotted ring, your right around center of wand.

You pull on the center of the rope like a bowstring. The knot comes out of the rope and the ring vanishes -- simultaneously, you pull your right hand off the wand, and the ring is seen spinning on the middle of it. This looks like real magic.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring-And-String Routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL