The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Danny Archer's Alien Invasion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
wulfie66
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of wulfie66
Do anyone have this? I'm looking for a review of it since I'm still fairly new to card magic (6 months).

Thanks in advance,
Wulfie
Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined.
Doha Dealer
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Doha Dealer
I do have it and personally I don't like it. I rarely perform it and it has been consined to the draw.

What I will say on the positive side is that the images are different and you can build a decent story around them.

However, I seem to remember that you are not clean at any point and the audience probably wnat to take a closer look at these strange cards. Also and more importantly I don't find some of the sleights very convincing. I seem to remember that a flustration count is used which in my view (& David Williamsons amongst others) hate, it fools no one and should be banished from tricks.

This being said it is probably about 2 years since I looked at it and my views might be slightly off the mark. However, I have it and don't use it so that should tell you something. I am sure some people get good use out of it, particularly if you are trying to create an alien / sci fi routine. I would imagine that it has been discussed before as well.
wulfie66
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of wulfie66
Thanks for the heads-up Doha Smile
Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined.
Stellan
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
580 Posts

Profile of Stellan
Hmmm...
I don't agree at all with that review as I think this is a wonderful effect.
It has an entertaining story that uses absurdity in a beautiful way that engages the spectators' fantasy giving plenty of space for the entertainer in you.
It also has a good and very magical method (that does not rely on Flushtration count) transforming four cards into four others and back again.
This is a good piece of work and gets a good reaction. In fact, in my experience, they are not even thinking of analyze this as they will not even have a clue. They are too paralyzed to ask for the cards.
I would like to go so far that I consider this as a creative masterpiece by Danny Archer. I love it.
It is kind of a packet trick that you add to a deck of cards. Most other packet tricks will end up lame beside this one. Good work Danny!
"There is no reality, only perception."
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2021 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
An old thread, but I just got this and agree with Stellan.
Additionally, they also have to wonder how the alien cards morphed into the selected card.
Additionally, the flustration count is NOT used.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Danny is on here from time to time. I use to have this and can say that I didn't hate it, but it was never a go to effect and kinda just got phased out of my Favorites, but that's not to say that you cant make magic with it..
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1217 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Shouldn't this be in the Deckless section as its a packet trick?
David Duffy
View Profile
New user
Philadelphia, PA
18 Posts

Profile of David Duffy
Quote:
On 2009-07-29 06:01, magicbern wrote:
Shouldn't this be in the Deckless section as its a packet trick?

Well I hope there is no sarcasm behind these words. While you are probably correct, remember, criticism arouses resentment. The exact opposite that these forums so strongly strive for. If this is not the case I assure you I mean no wrong and thank you for your offered suggestion.
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1217 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Why do you think there is implied sarcasm? There are correct subforums here at the Café eg. Deckless, Gaffed etc...all I am doing is direct new members to the correct sections so they can get answers more quickly. Methinks you are too sensitive on this issue.
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
Magicbern, maybe you see the fun of this (after the question you posed):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jifz7WXcNik

;) Smile

Michael
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2021 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Magicbern,
Actually, it actually uses a full deck in conjuction with the special cards because a full deck is used to pick the hero.
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
I think perhaps there could be some confusion between Alien Invasion and the packet trick Alien Autopsy?
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
http://www.magicnook.com/magicbob
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1217 Posts

Profile of magicbern
That's it! My mistake...I was thinking of the packet trick Alien Autopsy! So I do apologize, but I want to stress that I had not implied any sarcasm in my earlier post.
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1217 Posts

Profile of magicbern
So now that I've apologised for my mistake can anyone tell me where I can find the source for this trick? it looks very interesting! I went to Danny Archer's website but cant find it listed under tricks or DVDs...is it in his lecture notes?
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2021 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Magicbern,
If I was you, I'd post something in the tricks and effects for sale stating you are looking for it.
http://www.magicmgmt.com/newmagicshop/ALIENINVASION.html
is a good demo showing what the cards look like and the effect.
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1217 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Thanks I appreciate the link! I didn't know it was a dealer's item as it wasn't advertised on Danny's own website.
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2021 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
You are welcome.
This one keeps on climbing up my rankings!
glowball
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville TN
200 Posts

Profile of glowball
I bought 3 or 4 because it is so good, right up there with Garrett Thomas Stand up Monte. The one problem was the reset had to be done later in secret (to prevent flashing the normal card images). I found an easy solution and emailed Danny about 15 years ago or so, don't know whether he ever got it.

Playing around I stumbled on this solution: after the routine is over using the packet in its final face up messed up order casually and openly do an additional "Down under" Elmsley count then you can openly spread showing the top 3 cards and openly shift the necessary card(s) and you are ready to show your next audience. This was a game changer for me.
Larry Finley.
glowball
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville TN
200 Posts

Profile of glowball
Also I obtained two vinyl checkbook wallets and made a Himber type wallet and kept my alien invasion packet on one side and four normal alien cards on the other side in case someone wants to examine the cards I put the gaft packet away and then can open the wallet the other way and pull out the normal four cards.

I actually made three of these wallets so I had three different force cards in case pressured to show the routine again (I bought three packets that used different force cards from Danny).

In hindsight I believe just two packets should suffice and easier to manage having two wallets inside your left breast pocket or wherever.
glowball
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville TN
200 Posts

Profile of glowball
From The audience viewpoint this is an extremely powerful effect: four cards are shown to have alien heads on one side and alien back of head on the other side.

From a normal deck of cards a spectator chooses one card and the magician then shows that the four alien cards have magically changed into the selected card!!!

The selected card is returned to the deck and the four cards have reverted back to aliens.

You do this trick a second time with a different force card and it completely blows people away. In their mind it's as though this little packet of four cards can change to any card in the deck!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Danny Archer's Alien Invasion (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL