The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Whats not funny? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doha Dealer
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Doha Dealer
I am talking about magic that is supposed to be comedy magic but is just not funny. I am not talking about what offends you (eg 'blood magic', blue language etc.)

For me it is the majority of effects that are sold under comedy magic sections in dealers catalogues. Obviously every audience has its own character and kids find different things funny. I guess I am really talking about adult audiences here.

I find people like Ali Bongo and various supposedly clumsy magicians incerdibly unfunny. Its cringe magic not comedy magic in my book. I can see that this may have been funny 30 - 40 years ago and maybe it is still funny to the tastes of the OAP group (gross over exageration).

Give me someone like David Williamson any day over Ali Bongo, or the likes.
sniper1
View Profile
Veteran user
malta eu
343 Posts

Profile of sniper1
It depends upon the opinion really.

I play the part of the clumsy magician in a way. But not the way of ali bongo.

I have a show entitled toni kajjik. Which constitutes the part of a drunken magician, to which the magic is happening against his will, or not the way he wishes it to be, or without even knowing it. Here is a brief example of what I mean:

At 1 part I do airborne, where I'm pouring myself a drink. Suddenly my mobile phone rings. I let go of the glass to answer the call and the glass remains suspended. This happens without me even knowing the magic is happening.

Then I go into the tipsy bottle (magic is happening against his will). And I use a 2 ring comedy ruitine by Mago Forest from italy where you try to make them link, but do not succeed. You hit harder and one of the rings breaks apart, then you link them, only to not be able to unlink them afterwards. You take out instructions look at them and try again, but still fail. So you get to desperate measures by taking out a hacksaw and try to cut the rings only to have the hacksaw link as well. Finally you take a large magnifying lens only to have it link as well (magic is not happening as intended).
THE MOST CRAZY MAGICIAN ON THE MALTESE ISLANDS
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Quote:
On 2004-10-12 11:01, sniper1 wrote:
Itdepends on the opinion really.

I play the part of the clumsy magician in a way . but not the way of ali bongo .

I have a show entitled toni kajjik . which constitutes the part of a drunken magician .

and the thing is that the magic is happening against his will of not the way he wishes it to be or without even knowing it . here is a breif example of what I mean .

at 1 part I do airborne . where I'm pouring myself a drink . suddenly my mobile rings I let go of the glass wich remains suspended to awnser the call . { without even knowing the magic is happening }

then I go into the tipsy bottle { magic is happening against his will }

and I use a 2 ring comedy ruitine by mago forest from italy . where you try to make them link , not succeding , you hit harder and one of the rings breaks apart . then you link them . only not to be able to unlink them afterwards . you take out instructions look at them try again but still fail

so you get to desperate measures by taking out a hacksaw and try to cut the rings
only to have the hacksaw link aswell
finally you take a large magnifying lens only to have it link aswell { magic is not happening as intended }

That act sounds like fun.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

I find "pun" comedy magic very unfunny - that is, magic and/or comedy where lots of puns are used. I know a number of well-known kid show entertainers must love puns, but they really make me cringe.

However, I did think the "less of two weevils" pun from the movie, Master and Commander, was funny.

Ron
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Ron, I havent seen the Movie yet but I hope no one is going to say that you need help.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Whats not funny? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL