We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Upcoming Houdini Auction (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Any thoughts of the upcoming Houdini auction? What do you want? What will you pass on?
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I'll like enough money and room to buy a few things maybe metamorphosis
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I don't know specifically what will be auctioned, but I would love to have Houdini's giant padlock. The one woth the hidden button that caused the face of it to come open and reveal all of his tools. I don't know who has it, or if there were more than one.

Another unusual item I'd love would be some of his construting tools. Authenticated I'll bet they're worth a fortune!
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
lauher
View Profile
New user
Long Island, New York
51 Posts

Profile of lauher
The auction is amazing, because it proves that Houdini came back from the dead (Halloween 1926).

According to the description the auction includes "Over 1,000 Items Personally Owned by the most famous Magician in the History of the Modern World!"

Thus Houdini had to have come back from the dead. How else would he have owned a Harvard Leg iron from the 1940s, a Pratt come-along or Gill Lion Tamer thumb cuff from the 1930s?

He also owned a rare Hamburg Eight in its original Foth Lock Co. Box. (For those who don't understand the joke, the box in question is for the last of the Tower Double locking handcuffs, made by Hugo Foth in the 1940s.)

Just think of it, an original Harvard Leg iron owned by Houdini with a estimate of $2500-$6000.

Get your bids in now.

Joe
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

I was leaning towards the piece that was signed in ballpoint myself. Boy, Harry was sure on the cutting edge for his time.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Paul Reardon
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, Georgia
52 Posts

Profile of Paul Reardon
Hi All,
Are the auction item descriptions up on the web anywhere?
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I'm not sure on the descriptions but you can spend $35.00 to get a Catalog. http://www.insyscom.com/houdini/houdini.htm this should help you.

Looky Here Just Found It http://www.crgauction.com/docs/Houdini/catalog_Houdini.html Pricey Stuff anyone Care to Mortage Their House ?
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

But the catalog is still not out yet. And nothing corrected or added to the site in a month.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I just looked at a bunch of stuff that is supposed to be in the auction. item #379 is the water torture cell http://www.crgauction.com/docs/Houdini/379.jpg now if houdini was 5 ft 4 in and the torture cell is 5 ft. how did Houdini have room for his head and on the posters you see excess room ?
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
I have a pair of Harvards, I'll let them go at the LOW LOW price of only $1,000 Smile Heck I'll even throw a pair of Harvard Leg Irons in for free AND if you act now I'll add 4 Harvard keys into your package. Smile
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

I guess with the stock above the ankles and the ankles outside the cell, you could pick up the four inches.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
You'll figure with all of the keys they have for the Auction they could at least find something for the handcuffs that don't have keys.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dear Don, Houdini was 5ft 4 and the cell is 5 ft.
If you look closely at photos with Houdini in the cell, his feet stick out the top. Plenty of room for his head. No mystery there.

Ian
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Ok How about His Milk Can why is it so small and the ones made now adays are so big ?
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Don, Houdini had his milk can made to suit him. Unless the can is custom made to suit the individual, any maker will make a generic size to as many people as they can so they can sell the one size to all. Same reason that ratchet handcuffs took over from Darby 104's
Milk Cans though are not adjustable.

Ian
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Funny one about the keys! I'm not a cuff meister, but from what I hear is that most are gaffed already.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I know I hear he used gaffed ones to. I'm beginning to wonder if his challenges were actully true or if they were rigged. also for the milk can is that the same one Randi used in Happy Days. I also heard that one of his milk cans got repaired in the 40's because something happened to it ( I forget what Folks )
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

I would go with the handcuff challenges were legit. When Houdini was in this phase of his career and using the challenge, handcuffs wouldn't be your normal house hold item. He would have to have some on hand to keep the show going. Why kill yourself if you didn't have to? He's body took enough of a beating that probably would have killed or at least retired a lesser man.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I know it's just some of the stuff you read then you hear something else. Don,
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
In fact, Houdini had both legit and rigged challenges. The latter were brought in for varied reasons, including a unique promotional angle, or lack of an interesting challenge being offered for a particular gig.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Upcoming Houdini Auction (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL