We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Out Of This World (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8279 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Lawrence: First, what is the point of your reproducing my August post? Is that your "proof" that I ever said mine, or anything, was the BEST? If it is, it ain't! Where is the word "best" therein? (Obviously not counting my closing salutation, unless you're trying to be funny, and that's what you mean.) I simply said what I use, and that's a fact. What in the world is your point here?

Okay; I'm glad I became your "angle." And I mean it, not being sarcastic. But - although you feel it's "more brave to tease top-quality experts" - and I thank you for putting me into that category - you also say that you know they'd be "reactive." Then when I AM reactive, you tell me "don't jump." I know I've said this before, perhaps a number of times, but when I get hit I hit back. That's how it will always be - nature of the beast. I'm always amused that people think they can say whatever they please, untruths usually, about me, and then get upset when I take them to task, hit back. I was brought up among bullies, and I learned soon enough that if you didn't hit back, you'd be bullied forever.

Now you say that your comment wasn't factual - but, not all, if any, of the readers of the post KNOW THAT. That's how rumors and untruths get started. I know, or at least I'll take your word that your comment "was not malevolent," but again -readers DON'T KNOW THAT, and that, again, starts rumors and untruths. So, you may think saying things like that is a "tribute" to me, but - thanks, but no thanks. You should be aware that "lack of malevolence" and "sarcasm" don't come across very well when written - as in your original post.

I do, of course, thank you for your kind words in the last paragraph of your post above. HARRY LORAYNE.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Thanks to Lawrence O for his great list of OOTW variations in this thread. For the record, my version is FREE! Just click on the link below, and then go to the series of 22 articles I've written there on mem-deck magic:
www.http://www.loomismagic.com

Dennis Loomis

Posted: Sep 27, 2008 4:03pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To Harry Lorayne:

How is Classic Collection 2 coming? I can hardly wait.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8279 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Dennis: Hope to have copies available about mid-October. I'll be sending out the full-page ad, that will appear in magazines, to my email list and to my snail-mail list. If you're not on the email list - send your address to me - to my email address below. Best - HARRY L.

michaelmagicart
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of michaelmagicart
Harry, I just had to post the below quote from a former demontrator/studentof mine which I received in an e-mail several months ago:

"Actually, I live about two blocks from the Magic Castle, and I go there
three or four times a year to see friends who perform. When I'm there I like
to do "Out of this Universe" (usually at a close-up table down in the
dungeon). As you know, it doesn't require any significant sleight of hand,
setup, or gimmick. I can take any pack of cards and convince someone
(usually a girl) that she's a borderline psychic".

Now I consider that one H**L of an endorsement, since I first taught him your effect back in 1974.

Incidently, this young man has published over 6 different books on gambling and says his interest was peaked in gambling when I taught him to second deal.

My thought about "Out of This Universe" is why try to improve it? Spend more time on learning it and you will always have a "killer" routine, as so many of your effects are.

Further those who have never bothered to obtain and read your material, in my HMO, have a long way to go to get to the end of the rainbow and find that true "pot of gold".
michaelmagicart
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of michaelmagicart
Quote:
On 2008-07-03 03:56, Bill Palmer wrote:
I've been right here. I don't frequent the card forums, though. I do show up on Genii Forum from time to time. At least I did until they made it impossible for me to adjust the text size.

I have difficulty reading the web site, so I don't visit them much any more.

Bill,

If your are having trouble adjusting the text size in Genii, simply copy and paste it into "Word" and the you can make it any size that you want. Hope this helps.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
The issues to deal with when performing OOTW are:

An interesting script that erases any feeling of the trick seeming long (same problems as when performing Juan Tamariz’s Full Coincidence without his talent)

Shuffling the cards because there are people who know the trick

The “move” at the end which seems a problem to a number of performers

Naturally there are solutions to all these issues. Here are some which may not be too well known.

Scripts are personal by nature but to make the trick feel shorter it’s a good idea to involve two couples in sequence: first, for example, husband of a couple for the first half of the deck, and then wife of the second couple for the second half

Then the most disturbing idea I came across helps for the shuffling issue: when all the cards are dealt, ask the wife in the first couple to show you the mistake of her husband and switch the cards she indicates (obviously this can only concern the cards dealt by her husband). Then do the same with the husband of the second couple. Naturally by doing this, red cards get “mixed” into the reds and black cards into the blacks, but this is done around the end of the effect. To the audience it seems that THEY MIXED THE CARDS UP TO THE LAST MOMENT.

Then for the move: in the same vein, turn to a fifth spectator and ask him for his opinion about who between the both couples made the biggest number of mistakes and, using EQUIVOQUE, let him indicate what card spreads should be exchanged between the ones dealt by both couple: exchange the (forced) wrong piles as per his request “to balance the situation and avoid creating arguments inside both couples.”
The spectator just did “the move” for the performer, and to the rest of the audience it simply looks like further mixing.

Now you can ask each member of both couples which pile he wishes to turn face up and let him do it himself…

In my experience of this presentation the most impossible thing for people is the fact that they mixed (exchanged) the cards at the end.

Now, one word regarding my little side step with Harry Lorayne, I think he deserves the last word and I acknowledge that everything he said on his post as an answer to mine was 100% true.
I knew he would “hit back” and expected that to make a long list a little more eye catching (an Henning Nehlms type of approach).
I had and have not the slightest desire (or ground) to launch any form of negative rumor about someone I deeply admire, someone I learned a lot from over many years, someone amongst the ones with the deepest knowledge about card magic.
Since what we all remember in a press article is the conclusion (maybe it works the same for posts on a forum), I’d like to reiterate in conclusion that I’m extremely impressed with both the quantity and the quality of Harry’s work, not only on OOTW, not only on cards. His books, DVDs and Apocalypse are a huge asset to the magic community which goes far beyond card magic and I will eagerly buy his last book as soon as it comes out. I think that his contribution to magic is unarguably major and I again bow in front of him with sincerest respect.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24209 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-09-28 01:12, Michaelmagicart wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-07-03 03:56, Bill Palmer wrote:
I've been right here. I don't frequent the card forums, though. I do show up on Genii Forum from time to time. At least I did until they made it impossible for me to adjust the text size.

I have difficulty reading the web site, so I don't visit them much any more.

Bill,

If your are having trouble adjusting the text size in Genii, simply copy and paste it into "Word" and the you can make it any size that you want. Hope this helps.

I found another way that is somewhat simpler. After I posted that, Richard Kaufman sent me some information that was quite useful.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
A good way to start setting up the cards in a preceding trick in order not to perform OOTW as an opener, is to perform Simon Aaronson Random Sample Shuffle-bored (Sessions with Simon; The Impossible Magic Of Simon Aaronson DVD Vol 2).

Not only does Simon's trick allow stacking a good part of the deck in preparation for OOTW but both effects build up on one another, still remaining very different in their plot (Simon's effect goes down to one card when Paul Curry's one involves more and more cards).
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
Lawrence O, I am very impressed with your depth of knowledge and your insights into OOTW. Thanks for taking the time to post such a wealth of well thought out points. The way you refference and relate other cards tricks to OOTW broadens one's horizons when considering card magic as a whole.

Excellent, thought provoking posts!
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Well thks for the post. Actually as soon as we start thinking in terms of character building and acts, everything falls in place by itself. Research then becomes more interesting for it's no longer running after new tricks, but building up subtleties making the act more entertaining and magic more magical. Being older also supplies an advantage here as I had more time to search, and I like the idea that I can save some of that research time to younger performers for them to be able to concentrate on personal showmanship, script, etc: what makes magic really magic. If my kids were not better than me, there would be no prorgress in life, and I love progress (not as much as my kids though)
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
Quote:
On 2008-10-01 07:16, Lawrence O wrote:

If my kids were not better than me, there would be no prorgress in life, and I love progress (not as much as my kids though)

Very Funny! (I have decided to no longer use "LOL" and smiles too)

-Mark
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-06-30 20:26, Harry Lorayne wrote:
I've been telling, screaming, about the treasure trove of LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION for a couple of years now. Where the h*** have you been? Vol. 2 will be out in the fall. HL

LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION Volume 2 is out now. Harry has sent an e-mail out announcing it. You can write Harry at
harrylorayne@earthlink.net and he'll e-mail the ad to you.

Harry Lorayne ROCKS!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
In a post in The Magic Café Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Out of this world Revealed, Mesmer reminds in a discussion about the disclosure of Out Of This World in Wikipedia, that for unpleasant it may be, it forces us into a necessity of constant improvement.

KAIZEN (Japanese for "continuous improvement") is a Japanese philosophy that focuses on continuous improvement throughout all aspects of life. When applied to the workplace, Kaizen activities continually improve all functions of a business, from manufacturing to management and from the CEO to the assembly line workers by:

The cycle of kaizen activity can be defined as:

[1] improving standardized activities and processes
[2] standardize an operation
[3] measure the standardized operation (find cycle time and amount of in-process inventory)
[4] gauge measurements against requirements
[5] innovate to meet requirements and increase productivity
[6] standardize the new, improved operations
[7] continue cycle ad infinitum

Harry Lorayne: The Classic Collection is a good proof of the constant evolution of magic. It's not magic of the past it's classic magic constantly rejuvenated.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8279 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Hey LawrenceO: Still waiting for your order for LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, VOL. 2. Don't wait until they're gone - I'll hold a copy for you for a little while, since I know you'll be ordering it RIGHR AWAY. Best - HARRY LORAYNE.

Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2008-11-01 17:16, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Hey LawrenceO: Still waiting for your order for LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, VOL. 2. Don't wait until they're gone - I'll hold a copy for you for a little while, since I know you'll be ordering it RIGHR AWAY. Best - HARRY LORAYNE.

Just sent a PM but my very close friend and long time business partner Jeffrey Steiner who helped David Blaine to take off just passed away in Switzerland so I am very... (hard to express: sad is not powerful enough).

Posted: Nov 2, 2008 11:48am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unsuccessfully trying to change my mind, I erred on the net. There are two new OOTW reference: Dowden, Matthew J.: 1 Deck, 14 Tricks, 24 Hours DVD V2: A streamlined version that claims to be very easy to do
Bean, Gordon: Color Blind deck (marketed effect Elmwood); The kicker comes when the spectator realizes that they've also separated the blue and green cards from the reds and blacks; there are four colors in this specially printed deck: red, black, blue and green.

Posted: Dec 6, 2008 2:04pm

Apparently my list should have also included:
Andrus, Jerry: Out of this Universe.
Brown, Derren: Undertaker; where he shows photograph and ask people how they feel about the person and the one on one pile are "alive" (marked in the back of the photograph) and the ones in the other one are "dead"
Baines, Dan: From Hell (especially when coupled with his modified "Book of Revelations", so as to fit the theme) is an great bit of business. http://www.lebanoncircle.co.uk/Hell_Page.htm

Now just came another marketed version:
Critchlow, Jim: White Star (2008) It's a classic routining with just one pile by spectator and a reject pile. The originality here is that the routine is not done with playing cards but with old photographs of passengers of the Titanic which have, printed on the back, some details about them and whether they "survived" or "died". Naturally one spectator ends up with only passengers who survived and the other one with passengers who died.

I think that this is a nice variant and it makes the effect well worth buying for getting away from playing cards. The author claims as his, a version titled Beyond This World because he moved the effect from the color of the faces to the color of the backs marking the faces (an old concept whether he likes it or not) and switching the reject pile for cards with a third color of backs. It would have been even better if he had suggested using Slydini's packet switch, but... all in all a very interesting work and original props making it a New Effect (this is the rarest feat).

Posted: Dec 6, 2008 2:45pm

One post also use the same principle with Jedis: it's on the following thread
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=161
prizna
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of prizna
Hi,

I am just wondering where I could get some help on the switch move at the end. The best I have done is to square up the pack that needs the switch and turn it over and take the top upside down card to the bottom. This is ok but the marker cards are under the line of cards instead of on top.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
One small improvement to what you are doing (which is very direct), is to scoop the cards of the wrong pile ABOVE the first upper marker card and, without perfectly squaring them, in the same move, to turn them over on that marker card: then as you spread the upper part to reveal the effect, when you get to the second marker card (now upside down) you drag it aside and turn it over. The patter is important here:
As you turn the cards spreading then in the same type of line that they where dealt: "here you placed ...? all the (say) red cards...! ", spreading them down to focus attention on them. Then as you get ot the second marker: "... and here...?" turning the card over and sliding it back face up in its position but a little bit down to mark the separation "... they're all black...!". Now pause looking up to create the expectation for the other side... "and here ... ?" (turning only the lower half) "... yes all the red cards..." and here "... The second side can be done slowly as if you were almost afraid.

Thus one answer (and definitely not the only one) to your question is: turn the wrrong pile OVER the upper marker.

Having tried many solutions, this is the one I use to prevent any suspicionn that something could be done as the cards are squared. I've done this effect countless times as a closer for decades, trying every variants: this approach is the one that works best for me and I never had even one question about the turning over. The schock of the effect is too strong to allow thinking and the expectation for the other side blocks any back tracking (then the slower turning over of the "right" side supplies the "magic way" in cancelling the "twisted" turn over)

The reason for me to chose this varriant is to demonstrate that I'm not doing any sleight and that magic happens by itself with the audience: hence no squaring, no movements which could be misinterpreted... Just deliberate and direct.
prizna
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of prizna
Thank you for your suggestion. It was very helpful.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Even after all these years, the impromptu Out of This World is still my effect of choice when asked out the blue to do a trick. Use their cards and leave everything there with them except the explanation. It is very effective.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- My feelings are hurt. I think I paid $2.00 because MDA had a rule that nothing was under $2.00. Am I right?
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2042 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Funny thing I noticed while reading this post was, every variation of OOTW is titled Out of This _ _ _ _ _
What that means is, the terms used are, Universe, Borough, Town, Hemisphere, Deck,.. etc..
The list goes on. Seems funny they always re-name the original and most are VERY similar to it.
Nothing wrong with that though. "Impersonation is the sincerest form of flattery"
The legacy of the great Paul Curry lives on !
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Out Of This World (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL