The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Out Of This World (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Prunesquallor
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Prunesquallor
Can anyone tell me where Out Of This World originates, and who invented it?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Paul Curry. Used to sell for a buck. My favorite version is U.F. Grant's using a shuffled deck.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, it was Paul Curry. And the U F Grant version is so much simpler to do and gets the same effect.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
U.F. Grant's was cleverly called, "Nu-Way Out of this World". He sold this for $1 too.
markhammagi
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of markhammagi
For those interested, the U.F. Grant routine can be found on page 13 of Paul Curry's "Out of this World" manuscript.

One of the things that I like about the Grant routine is that it is impromptu (although a competent cull in a prior routine can make Curry's routine appear to be impromptu).
Andy
WRandall
View Profile
Regular user
NYC, USA
121 Posts

Profile of WRandall
Quote:
On 2004-11-12 13:56, markhammagi wrote:
For those interested, the U.F. Grant routine can be found on page 13 of Paul Curry's "Out of this World" manuscript.

Do you know which printing/edition of the manuscript you have that contains the Grant variation? I was hoping to find it in the World's Beyond book, but no go.

Thanks,
Will
markhammagi
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of markhammagi
I purchased my copy of Paul Curry's "Out of this World" manuscript through my local magic dealer about 8 years ago. I would assume that you local dealer can get his hands on a copy of they are still being sold.
Andy
Devilix
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of Devilix
I heard that someone fooled many time a president of the USA with this trick. I don't remember who.

Devilix
WRandall
View Profile
Regular user
NYC, USA
121 Posts

Profile of WRandall
Devilix, the story goes that it was peformed for Winston Churchill during WWII by an actor/magician named Harry Green. Churchill had him perform the trick for him several times and was late to a meeting of Parliment because of it. I wonder if he ever figured it out... or if the story is true.

Andy, I have a typewritten manuscript for OOTW, but it's far from 13 pages long. I'll keep an eye out for other editions, since I'd like to learn the Nu-Way.

Thanks,
Will
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Does anyone have access to Underworld, No. 1, 1995?

I am also interested in the lineage of Paul Curry’s “Out Of This World”, commonly referred to as OOTW.

Here is a rather long footnote from Paul Curry’s book, “Worlds Beyond”, Hermetic Press, 2001, p. 183-184
Quote:
The plot of having a spectator intuitively sort face-down card into red and blacks was not original with Mr. Curry. Reinhard Müller has pinpointed examples as far back as the 1800s, which he reports on in Underworld, No. 1, 1995. p. 4. In the same issue Karl Fulves mentions two early Scarne approaches. (Also see The Fine Print, No. 1, 1995, p. 2; and No. 4. 1996, p. 89.) However, there is no question that Curry’s method eclipsed all the previous ones of the time (and arguably to the very present). Its birth occurred during a session with John Scarne, at which they tried to improve on a Walter B. Gibson trick, “Pay Off”, which appeared as the first offering in the first issue of The Phoenix (January 1942). Gibson’s effect, by the way, does have a spectator sorting face-down cards by color, but it as much resembles Stewart James’s classic Miraskill (The Jinx, No. 24, Sept. 1936, p. 147) as it does “Out of This World”. Fred Braue tells the story of the conception of “Out of This World” in his column in the December 1948 issue of Hugard’s Magic Monthly (Vol. VI, No. 7, p. 489):
Quote:
The genesis of “Out of this World” is fascinatin’. Curry and Scarne watched Audley Walsh do Gibson’s “Payoff” and began figuring angles. Scarne devised a trick in which a spectator cut groups of cards, then Scarne told him how many red cards each contained, the method involving seconds, bottoms, shifts, palms and prayers. Even Johnny couldn’t do it.

Curry struck off on another tangent, speculating on the idea of a self-working face-down color separation, and came up with “Out of this World.” “I didn’t think much of my method,” Curry writes. ‘It wasn’t until a week later that I actually did it. On the basis of my very-suffering wife’s reaction, I realized that the effect was fairly good. It’s a funny thing - all the details of the stunt came to me in about 15 minutes. Since then my mind has been in a complete fog and I haven’t figured out any angles that differ to any extent from the original method. But to this day - I don’t quite understand why it should fool magicians.” That’s the history of the greatest self-working trick of our time.

The fog eventually cleared, though, as the article following this one shows.-S.M.

(S.M. is for “Steven Minch”)

The last comment refers to the next trick that follows in the book named, “Best of Possible Worlds”. That trick has an even better ending than OOTW, although from the participant’s perspective, the trick is already completely impossible.

I am also interested in U.F. Grant's method. Could that be one of the references listed in Underworld?

(Also, for the record, the various different capitalization of OOTW are actually like that in the quotation. Of course that quotation does not have the Magic Café’s “Quote” delimiters).
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
MueCard
View Profile
Inner circle
2967 Posts

Profile of MueCard
Bill,

I do have access to UNDERWORLD Issue No. 1 (1995).

Reinhard Müller
Nick B
View Profile
New user
London, England
59 Posts

Profile of Nick B
Paul Curry's description of OOTW and the Winston Churchill story are in his book Magicians' Magic. Harry Lorayne has an excellent version of it (Out Of This Universe) in Close Up Card Magic.

Hope this helps.
Nick
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Harry also has his Impromptu OOTW in My Favorite Card Tricks. Does anyone know if that is different from the UF Grant method?
MueCard
View Profile
Inner circle
2967 Posts

Profile of MueCard
In read in PHOENIX of July 29, 1949 of "Further OOTW" in impromptu method, which was invented by OSCAR WEIGLE!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Mr. Muller, I noticed that in that issue of Phoenix (#182), a desciption of the effect is given and the suspicion that the routine would be marketed. Do you know if it ever was published or marketed? I'd love to see it. Oscar Weigle is a name unfortunately either forgotten or never learned by most modern day magicians and it is too bad. Virtually everything of his I've ever seen has been very, very good.

Posted: Apr 14, 2005 3:34am
---------------------------------------------
Here is the description of the Weigle routine from Bruce Elliott in Phoenix #182:

"Oscar Weigle has cooked up the finest newest card trick we've seen in many a long year. We imagine he's going to market it. Martin Gardner, we think it was, suggested that the only title for the stunt is 'Further Out of This World.' And it is! For the basic effect, like OOTW, is that a spectator or spectators divide the deck into reds and blacks, but they do this after having shuffled the deck themselves ad infinitum! At any point in the separating process they can shuffle as much as they like. Coo lumme, what an effect!"

Larry, the Grant handling, while not the same as Lorayne's, has some strong similarities, as does Gary Ouellet's "Netherworld" in "Close Up Illusions."
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Is Oscar still alive? He was in NYC last I asked.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2005-04-14 11:46, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Is Oscar still alive? He was in NYC last I asked.

Last I saw him was several months ago. I assume I would have heard if he had passed away, though.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
cassis
View Profile
New user
FRANCE
1 Post

Profile of cassis
Hi,

I am a new member from France.

I am looking for a description of Out of Universe from Harry Lorayne. How is this trick?

I already knew Out of This World from Paul Curry.

Which version is better?

Thanks a lot
jl

Can you send me a message?
I would be in interest close up and magic for kids
I like dan garret michael close
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
460 Posts

Profile of Hushai
In 1975, Paul Curry himself published a booklet entitled "Out of This World - and Beyond." It is a compilation of all the best variations on OOTW that Curry knew of to that time. One of them is U.F. Grant's "Nu Way Out of this World," and it does appear on page 13 of that booklet, so maybe this is the same "manuscript" that Markhammagi refers to above. (Curry's original manuscript for OOTW came out in 1942, I think.) I don't know if this particular booklet from 1975 is still available anywhere, but if it is, I would highly recommend it as a source for learning OOTW and its variations. My copy is one of my prized possessions -- I bought it new back in the 1970's. It also includes Harry Lorayne's "Out of this Universe."
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
"Out of This Universe" is in Close-up Card Magic. It always struck me that it was a cure for a problem that did not really exist. A lot of people have commented that OOTW is not impromptu. That depends entirely upon how you get into the routine.

I've been doing OOTW for almost 50 years. I figured out a way of setting it up in front of the spectators without their having any idea it was being done. It's so simple that it borders on being a no-brainer.

I start the routine with the statement "People in various parts of the world shuffle the cards differently from other people." And I demonstrate various different "shuffles," most of which are gags. The last shuffle of the series is a slop shuffle, which I call the Chinese shuffle. I use that shuffle to do the necessary separation into the main groups. From that, I construct the necessary starting situation for the Curry routine (sans the missed card) with a simple cut. Then I state that I will read their mind and shuffle the cards at the same time. I do one riffle shuffle, push the cards together and go into the Curry routine.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Out Of This World (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL