The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Needed: Lockpicking Set. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
As a lockpick could be a paper clip, here in the UK no permit is required to carry paper clips !!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4416 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
I have my permit on psychic paper (got it off the Dr). No Ken I did not nick it off him whilst he was in Swadlincote …… I had one of the young locals do it for me.
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
As an escapologist and magician, I don't worry about being caught with a lock pick in my possession. Here's why.

I happen to live in California so I'll quote the law appropriate to my state.
California Penal Code Section 466 states, "Every person having upon him or her in his or her possession a picklock, crow, keybit, crowbar, screwdriver, vice grip pliers, water-pump pliers, slidehammer, slim jim, tension bar, lock pick gun, tubular lock pick, floor-safe door puller, master key, or other instrument or tool with intent feloniously to break or enter into any building, railroad car, aircraft, or..."

Notice one element of the law states "WITH INTENT". Very important. Intent to do what? To break into some place. If I'm discovered at the back door of someone's unoccupied house on a dark night, and they find my lock pick (picklock) tools in my wallet, it's easy to prove my intent. Forget the lock pick. Instead of my picks, if they find me with just a screwdriver or just a vice grip pliers with me, that's intent.

Read it again, it states "OR OTHER INSTRUMENT OR TOOL", so the list isn't limited. A paper clip can be considered part of the list IF you include the next two words, "WITH INTENT". It must be proved that you have felonious intent to break into something that is not yours.

So what if I'm caught with it in my wallet? What's the situation? If I'm driving my car and get stopped for a speeding violation while sitting still in rush hour traffic, and the officer spots my pick and tension wrench in my wallet as I'm removing my drivers license for him, he will certainly ask why I have them. But he will not arrest me for possession. Why? because I don't have intent to break into anything. You have to meet all elements of the law. With no intent, there is no crime.

Personally, I don't sweat it.

Caveat: I'm not an attorney. I'm not an officer of the law. This is just my own opinion. Check with your local authority having jurisdiction in your area...... void where prohibited. no salesman will call. batteries not included. offer not valid in Utah. must be 18 or older to play. some restrictions apply. member FDIC. see store for details. offer ends 1-18-09. all rights reserved. some assembly required. one size fits all. penalty for late payments.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4416 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Joe I love caveat.....................

..................who would have thought that those tiny little fish eggs could taste so *** good!

Time for a new feeder discussion here. Name anything for the following

"Any other instrument or tool":
I bet Wolflock says Kazoo (or is that Joe himself?)
I would say a brick would be covered!
Is a bulldozer a tool or an Instrument?

I think instrument – because stomp could play one but you cant really put it in a tool belt!

IS a bulldozer a tool? or an Instrument?
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I never tried using my kazoo as a lock pick. I think it is the wrong shape. Then again, some of us can do amazing things.

And yes, If I were stopped by a police officer he might well find the kazoo in my pocket, but it would probably just make him laugh.

Last I heard, you don't need a licence to carry a kazoo.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4416 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
I thought they were deadly weapons? Hold on I will check the dictionary .........

................... oh sorry my bad!

It¡¦s my dyslexia again getting the better of me.

I was confusing the Kazoo with a Bazooker. I thought a Babooker was the person doing the playing on the Bazoo. My mistake!

But I am *** sure I can open a lock with a Bazoo ..... ker....... (oh its Bazooka isn¡¦t it! ƒº
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
I don't believe South Africa needs a permit either.
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
Hi Dave,

Eat caveat? No, no, no. The "T" is silent. And I think the French pronounce it "Car Fiat", but I could be wrong. Oh, and a bulldozer is definitely a Tool. Much like the bazooka. Only you can't carry a bulldozer on your back. But you can back your bulldozer over a kazoo.

Oh, sorry Cliff. Pleae make sure your kazoo is not on your person when the bulldozer comes around.

Hay Wolfie, can you check for Cliff and see if you need a permit to carry a kazoo in South Africa? I would hate to have to fly over there just to bail him out of jail.....
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
" And I think the French pronounce it "Car Fiat" "

??? Doesn't sound french... at all Smile
Aidan
View Profile
New user
Niceville, FL
27 Posts

Profile of Aidan
I thought Fiat was Italian... as a mechanic, I had a hard time with those manuals. French huh? Well I'll be...

Tools... so far all I've needed was a broken "bobby pin". But I've never messed with anything more than common handcuffs.

You mean I know my colors in French? Dang!!!
Integrity is all that is truly yours, everything else, can be taken from you in an instant!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4416 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2007-04-15 19:40, Wolflock wrote:
I don't believe South Africa needs a permit either.

Now I believe it is all down to which state South Africa is in at the time when they are carrying the lock picks - and weather they have the intent to use them for crime.

Or do you mean you don’t need a permit to carry picks there?

I am surprised no one has brought you p the scene from pulp fiction where they are talking about drugs in Amsterdam!

I wonder if seeing a bazooka on your back would lead the police to the conclusion you were up to no god and may be inclined to try and gain access to a house.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4416 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Needed: Lockpicking Set. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL