The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » I 'can' believe how well 'this' worked! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2115 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
'Lo all....it's me, everyone's least-faviorite steroid-abusing, iron-pumping, SAT-failing, disguise-wearing, street-performing liar! (Just kidding.....I've never used steroids!) I got my first letter from that Irish family, Cotton is still doing street-cards, Uncle's in the clink (30 days) and Halelughah Jones(the REAL one) is back on the street & proseletyzin' his heart out.

About a week ago,something occured to me. I've been watching a lot of the vid demos of tricks where the magish is doing them on the street for random (presumebly)passerby, and there's always lots of attention and HUGE recations. Same for David Blaine or any other street magician who does his stuff on video. In case any of you out there are looking at the seemingly effortless drawing of a crowd and the huge reactions and are wondering "what do they have that I don't?", I'll tell you. It's NOT the trick they're trying to sell you.....IT'S THE CAMERA!!!! People will ALWAYS gravitate toward a television camera (Or even a profesional-looking DAT cam) and they'll make sure that theyr'e reactions are BIG because they want to be one of the ones who gets put on TV! HMmmm... : )

I went downtown, found Cotton, and asked him if he'd like to ake a little cash. (as if I couldn't predict the answer to THAT question). You see, over at UCF, there's a sattilite film school which works with some fil academy called 'full-sail', and every month, they toss out all their equiptent which is busted beyond repair. After rumaging around in their Dumpster awhile, I found several items to suit my needs, and I learned a lesson.....NEVER jump into a 16'000 gallon flat-top dumpster unless it's full enough that you can reach the edge to get OUT again! After 3 hours had gone by, enough bags & such had been tossed in that I was able to pile then up & jump for the lip. There was a guy walking by who saw me getting out, and when I saw his blank stare, I pointed to the film-school behind me and said "They REALLY didn't like my acting!" And left with the goods.

Using the pieces from the dumpster, and some household ites, I soon had what APPEARED to be a large digital camera. I took one of my old pagers and arranged it so that the light showed, making the 'record' light. Cotton shaved and I put a hat (worn backwards) on him and a laminated card (an expired grocery discount card) on a string around his neck, and off we went to Daytona! Basicly, I walked around with a bunch of close-up tricks, with the bigger tricks kept in my pack, and Cotton simply acted as though he was filming me. WOW!!! It was UNCANNY how many people would just walk right up to me and ask me to do a trick for them!! And their participation / reaction was GOLDEN!! I even tried doing a simple lame effect (ambitious card) and the way they screamed, you'd think I'd ressurected the dead! Once I had an edge, it was on with the show, and the hats were fantastic! Cotton also served as a lookout for the local constabulary. At one point, the owner of the biusness I was doing it in front of came out....and asked me to make sure I got the name of his resteraunt on film! And there was one girl who apparently mistook me for a certain other camera show, and....well, let's just say she was pretty. Counting on the drive back to O-town, we'd ade $131 over the course of about 4 hours (not counting the 90 minute commute each way). We split the take, and went our seprate ways, but Cotton made it clear that if I ever try this again...he's my man!

So, it's not exactly that profitable....since you have to share with the guy posing as a camera-man, but I guess you wouldn't necessarily have to split it 50/50. And I'm telling you....the camera (a real pro-looking one, NOT some tourist vidcam!)is the magic-key which will turn adversaries into allies, and pulls in crowds like a magnet!
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
zan314
View Profile
New user
Vegas, Baby!
7 Posts

Profile of zan314
Nice job! I oughta try that sometime. Thanks for the interesting and amusing story.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17484 Posts

Profile of Slim King
WOW. Where'd you say that dumpster is? LOL
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
2115 Posts

BTW.....for anyone confused by all the names & refrences made, check out the "I can't beleive how well this worked" thread on this section.
BlendoSquid
View Profile
Regular user
UK
140 Posts

Profile of BlendoSquid
That's one mighty dumpster!!!

Kevin Courtney
:kewl:
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
2115 Posts

Well, we get a lot of trash here in the staes!
Magnum
View Profile
New user
Washington D.C.
89 Posts

Profile of Magnum
I learned that lesson at a young age. Cameras always attract crowds
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
I totally agree, thanks for sharing that story!
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
Azaziel
View Profile
New user
California
51 Posts

Profile of Azaziel
Hmm makes me want to look for a film school, cool story
The greatest tick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » I 'can' believe how well 'this' worked! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL